Acca f4

rebecca2rebecca2 Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 49
Hi Guys,

Has anyone got any tips or can shed some light on their learning/revision methods for this module?

I've read through the text book and think I mostly understand but when it comes to looking at the questions I don't even know where to start. I know you have to practise and practise the questions but just want to see if anybody has some tips for me along the way!

Thank you :)

Comments

• burgburg Experienced Mentor GloucesterModerator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,323
    not much help but no I don't

I simply hate the law part. It's really dry and boring if I'm honest. Some parts have some interest to me such as torts in certain areas.

I have Law upcoming at ATT and am certainly not looking forward to it!
    Regards,

Burg
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 463
    I went to the BPP classes for F4 and one of the tips they gave us is this is the only module where you are almost expected to write everything you know about the subject rather than just answering the question! They advised us to answer the question in four stages - I can't remember the exact stages but think this is the jist of it.

For example, the question is a scenario ending with is Mr X in breach of contract. You start by almost re-stating the question e.g. "the issue Mr X needs to consider is whether he is in breach of his contract". You then waffle a bit about what breach of contract is and how it occurs. You then apply the knowledge you have just stated back to the scanario (checking a contract was originally formed in the first place) and end with your conclusion - Mr X is/isn't in breach of contract because..... This is the most important bit.

I *think* the four stages were referred to as IFAC - Issue, Facts, Apply, Conclusion.

Timing on these questions is important - when I sat the exam it was 10 questions of 10 marks each - so 18 minutes per question. What I've said above applies to the final three scenario questions. The first seven I think are more just knowledge based, so you can almost get away with writing everything you know about a subject, provided that is what the question wants - i.e. don't write about redundancy in an unfair dismissal case etc.
  • ShabShab Feels At Home MAAT Posts: 54
    I really like the idea that Rozzi Rainbow has stated above,

but anyhow visit opentution.com and i am sure you get somthing out of it.
  • katsutlieffkatsutlieff Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 459
    Open tuition is definately worth a look.
    I am struggling with this one too, I may just sit down with the past papers and start to make my way though them, hopefully the cases and statues will start to sink in.
    I also have a BPP cd which I listen to in the car on the way to work, I am finding this quite useful as things are starting to sink in. Not cases though unfortunatley
  • AndDUAndDU New Member MAAT Posts: 5
    The things im finding hardest is that i can generally remember the main points of most things but the case laws and smaller things im finding harder to remember. From tomorrow im gonna try and finish questions without looking at my book as much as i do as i keep looking to make sure what im writing is right :P
  • BluewednesdayBluewednesday Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,624
    Question practice works well with this one as the same cases come up time and time again
  • mark057mark057 Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 351
    I personally enjoyed F4 once I grasped the key concepts of the paper.

I always think there are two aspects to this particular paper. The 'knowledge dump' questions which
    constitute 1 - 7 and the specific scenario questions 8 - 10.

The knowledge questions are usually painless providing you know all your key facts and information.
    The best way to learn this information is to get a set of passcards and learn them thoroughly, then
    build on them with your own notes to cover any blind spots as you progress through your question
    practice.

The scenario specific questions are more tricky and you must remember to craft your answer around
    the scenario and not just provide an 'everything I know' type of answer. Be selective about the
    information you use, link it to the scenario and be concise due to time pressure.

Also don't forget to wrap up your scenario based answer with a conclusion you can support with
    your earlier answer.

F4 is all about keeping the answers concise and to the point.

Mark
  • j1994j1994 Registered Posts: 106
    Hey I've just started f4 and I hate it so
    Much it's so boring and I don't learn anything in lectures.is there any e learning tutorials for this module or cartoons or something that breaks down the syllabus into simpler terms?
  • JayB2606JayB2606 StaffordshireFMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 29
    Exam Question practice, I found to be key, when I wasn't answering questions, I was reading the answers in the back of the exam kit, which helped me pick up key words. - I believe it is multiple choice now so may have changed.
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
    Hey thanks I tried to do some exam q's today but found it so difficult as the words are so difficult and bpp books are so rubbish
    edited April 11
    I do prefer the Kaplan books, I still have mine but may be out dated though 2010
    Ooh really I'm gonna try Kaplan books thanks
    Ok how do I revise for this paper any suggestions nothing going into my brain???
    Are you currently doing it yourself?

I felt like that when sitting this Paper but you will be surprised what you have retained, 'wordy' exams tended to get me stressed out as they are difficult to judge when doing exam practice, specially when comparing it to model answers as your answer doesn't feel good enough, but again you will be surprised.

practice exams questions and exam technique, read the model answers over and over to pick up key words and set some time for your self to relax.

good luck