Starting AAT Level 2 in Jan..

Sirow24Sirow24 New MemberPosts: 5Registered
Hi people, Im beggining my aat level 2 in jan and i just wanted a little bit of advice if possible... firstly, im looking to find a basic job/work experience as soon as i've found my footing on the level 2 course, and secondly, if anyone out there could pass any advice on the level 2 course it would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Many Thanks.

Simon

Comments

• Duracell BunnyDuracell Bunny New Member Posts: 7Registered
    Hello Simon, Welcome to the AAT :) I'm relatively new here and I passed my first exam (BA1) the other week and it was a good feeling to learn something new.

I can't really help in the whole work experience etc as I'm still trying to figure stuff out but you could always volunteer on this website and see whats in your area?

http://www.do-it.org.uk/
  • billdoorbilldoor Well-Known Posts: 129Registered
    I guess the best advice is to start with Basic Accounting 1 and 2 and put your best efforts into them. These modules, particularly BA1, will give you a good grounding in the basics that will serve you well as you progress so it's important that you understand the content. It's best if you're not still struggling with Debits and Credits when you get to later modules. Don't worry if it seems a bit daunting at first, you'll get the hang of it before you know it.

Good luck with it.:001_smile:
  • Sirow24Sirow24 New Member Posts: 5Registered
    Hi there... thanks for the post, I have a copy of Basic Accounting BK1 (osbourne book) which ive 'steadily' been reading through.. Im getting on ok with so far if im honest, just trying to keep my motivation up when i come across a section that makes me feel like i dont have a brain!
    I hear a lot of people on here that struggle with the order of debits and credits, hopefully i wont do the same...
    Thankyou again for the reply :) Im certain that i'll ask many silly questions whilst im here, I just hope they can be answered.

Thankyou. :thumbup1:
  • billdoorbilldoor Well-Known Posts: 129Registered
    Yeah I've seen people on here doing Level 2 or 3 modules and they're still not quite sure about Debits and Credits, which is why I'd say practice as much as you can for BA1 and BA2. Having one less thing to think about is a great benefit.

You'll always get things you struggle with, I'm doing my final Level 3 module at the moment and there's been plenty of things I thought I'd never get to grips with, but I did - re-read chapters and practice.:001_smile:

Hope you enjoy the course, use the forums as much as you need, also there's a search box in the top right which can be very useful at times.:thumbup1:
    Hello again matey,
    Im just getting to the debits and credits part now.. i know it sounds completley obvious but i have little idea at this stage... i can see how some aspects are debits and credits but its which side they go on that could prove tricky in the future..

I cant wait to start this course, its exciting to me for some reason! I know im only getting so much from BA1 book but im really after the interaction of the classroom...
    Its been 10+ years since ive studied, I just hope my head can handle it all..

Hope you're well.
    Hi there, Thanks for replying.. How did you get on with the Ba1 overall? Im really looking forward to starting the training (for some strange reason)
    How are you studying? college/distance?

Im looking to pick up as much work exp as humanly possible to be fair, I know a few accountants who i may be able to gain experience with whilst i study.. Thanks for the link.. im open to volunteering work , anything that gets me as much as i can.
  • NileshladvaNileshladva Settling In Nicely Posts: 22Registered
    Hi Sirow24,

I'm doing the level 2 course currently and its going fairly well, the only thing is that my pace is slower than the average person, only because I'm juggling between work, gym, family and friends. The best advice I can give is to go at a set pace so 1 or 2 set days a week where you MUST complete x and y. This is the best system for me and it works.

Work experience wise, I think anyone doing level 2 who isn't at work atm should consider to work for free/minimal wage. This is because accountancy is very competitive and uni grads will be chasing the jobs you are going after. Once qualified at level 2, you can then leave/ask for a basic level job where you will be paid much better and since you already have shown your dedication to the business by working for minimum/nothing they would not want to lose a good employee.

The course itself is not difficult at all, I'm no mathematician nor does accountancy run in the family but I have picked it up very quickly and I'm sure you'll do the same.

Good Luck!

NileshLadva
    Hi Nilesh, Thanks for the reply... and sorry for the late one :) I started at solihull college last thursday AAT level 2 and i got to say that the day was brilliant, i have a really good tutor who pushes us to get the most out of our work, its every thursday (intensive) and i have exams booked for april/may and two in june. I feel the knowledge going in all the time and im looking forward to the future.
    Im going to stick close to the tutor especially regarding work experience, which i would gladly work for free if it meant gaining valuable experience.. im browsing around low level jobs so hopefully once i've found my footing and passed level 2 i can then make job hunting more serious.

I hope you're enjoying the course and i wish you the best of luck with yours.

Simon.