New to AAT, level 2 help

James1804James1804 Just JoinedPosts: 2Registered
Hi,

I have been working as a purchase ledger assistant within a finance department for the last 4 years. My employers have agreed to let me start studying for the AAT, and would rather I went to college to do so. As the courses dont start until September 2013 (term time), I feel the 9 months until then would be wasted as I wont be doing any studying. I have done the Skillschecker on the AAT website and it says I should start at level 2, which I assumed.

Can anyone who is studying level 2, or has completed it, please let me know whether it would be possible/likely for me to study level 2 privately, and pass the exams over the next 12 months. I would become a member, buy the books and study like mad.

This way I could start level 3 at college in September. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

Comments

• WhirlwindWhirlwind Well-Known Posts: 249Registered
    I self-studied most of level 3 & 4 (online for API, APII & FNST). I looked over the books, if manageable, then took one unit at a time, knowing could always fall back to the online option. I have had to be strict about scheduling time for study, even booking the exams 4/6 weeks in advance, but its all been worth it - only one unit left!!

As long as your employer is ok, why not give it ago. I got my books from Foyles or Amazon for around £30 (BPP text, questionbank & passcards) - dont forget the student discount card too. Then booked the exam direct for around £36/38 (they are going up in Jan).

Let us know what you decide!!
  • louise dlouise d Just Joined Posts: 10Registered
    Hi James,

I think with your experience, you should be able to do Level 2 quite easily in that time scale - accounting is completely new to me, I started Level 2 in February, and am just completing my last module now, and had a baby in the middle.

I started off using the Osborne text/workbooks, but have switched to the BPP ones as they suit me better - less words, more real life examples. Maybe see if you can get some to have a wee look at before you choose.

Good luck!
  • NileshladvaNileshladva Settling In Nicely Posts: 22Registered
    Hi James!

Guess what!, I have literally just started my Level 2 AAT Certificate In Accounting, and up until last week I had no idea what accounting was about..

I personally went down the path of home learning, and enrolling on a course from a well known distance learning provider, this was mainly due to the reason I work full time and get no time to go college.

At first I was unsure, but after reading this article it changed my mind and I decided to give it a go anyway: http://www.accountingbites.co.uk/2012/10/11/is-distance-learning-for-you/

GoodLuck

-Nilesh
  • James1804James1804 Just Joined Posts: 2Registered
    Thank you both for replying,

I have bought the BPP BA1 and BA2 books off Ebay, im going to have a look and see how I get on before deciding whether to go for it. Im a bit worried that rushing to get level 2 done before September may be a bit too much, although on the BPP/Kaplan sites they say their students usually pass within 6 months.

Does anyone know roughly how long you have to wait for an exam after booking, obviously it depends on the test centre but an estimate would be helpful.

Thanks

James
  • WhirlwindWhirlwind Well-Known Posts: 249Registered
    I got a schedule from BPP and they seemed to have exams two days a month (am & pm sittings). They book up rather quickly and its easy to lose motivation if you can't get the dates needed. I got into the practice of booking exams at least 4 weeks in advance, was also great motivation to stay focused!!
  • Rachie278Rachie278 Feels At Home Posts: 55Registered
    James, I definetly think you could do it!! I went with Premier Training, absolutely perfect! And they cheapest options! Search on the AAT website for information on exam centres in your area, I had 2 within 5 miles from me, and i literally was able to book for the exam in the following two days!
  • lankylanky Just Joined Posts: 2Registered
    Thank you all for all your tips. I am hoping to start the AAT course in January. I am a complete novice to accounting, do I start with Level 1 or 2. I am keen to start from scratch, though I have strong munerical skills.

And finally the course seems to be so expensive, even the long distance. I have noticed some of them do not have all the materials and have suggested you buy additional materials. Are there any other low cost providers?
  • Rachie278Rachie278 Feels At Home Posts: 55Registered
    I think do the skilltest check and see how you feel from there but personally I would say go with level 2 Lanky

http://www.aatskillcheck.org/home.aspx

I used premier training and found them to be one of the cheapest and I didnt need to but any other materials
  • bladesmanbladesman Settling In Nicely Posts: 17Registered
    Hi James,

I am currently studying level 2 with a college. I was given the option to start at Level 3 however for the sake of 12 months studying I decided to take level 2 and progress this way. I personally chose a college because I know with the work I do for my LA and also the work I do in the Army Cadets I will get lazy and if I have no kick up the back side I would not complete this as I would expect.

I think home learning for Level 2 is more than possible and you seem to have relevant experience in your current role, my experience is 4 years in Local Authority transactional finance so I have to put my hands up and say I am learning a fair bit on this level.

I wish you look in any option you take, I would advise you or your employer gets you registered for AAT as the practice assessments are very useful.

Any help on Level 2 feel free to message me.