Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)

Just a little advice for Self-Study AAT 2

laurenrx8laurenrx8 Just JoinedRegistered Posts: 2
Hi All,

Just about to start going my AAT level 2. Have decided to go down the self study route as i don't think it's worth paying for something i don't think i will need. I do have some accounts experience and have used sage before aswell. I am currently working in the Banking sector but fed up of trying to force things upon poor customers! Believe me the only reason staff try and sell is because of the amount of pressure managers place on them.

Anyway,

There are 5 modules right?

Basic Accounting I
Basic Accounting II
Work effectively in accounting and finance
Basic costing
Computerised Accounting

I was planning on buying the books for 1 module at a time then booking my exam and then onto the next one.

I'm just a bit unclear on which exams i need to book through a provider (is it just kaplan that do it?)
Is it just the computerised accounting exam that i need to go through a provider with? And are there any books on this or will kaplan or whoever provide me with the material.

Hoping to whizz through it and either try and get a job after my level 2 or stay with my current job and do level 3 at college in September.

Regards,

Lauren

Comments

• RobClarkeRobClarke Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 820
    Yes to just the sage module. There are books available but would have thought it wise to see what the providers will provide you with before shelling out for extra books?
  • caroline23caroline23 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 53
    for every module other than computerised accounting you can just buy the books (osbornes are brill) and then book
    exam when your ready, with the computerised accounting module you can buy the module individually (kaplan and
    premier training so this that i know of) they provide the books so you won't need to buy any extra
  • laurenrx8laurenrx8 Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    Thanks just needed that clearing up. I have opted for go for the Osbourne books and going to buy my first lot. Excited!
  • CeeJaySixCeeJaySix Well-Known Registered Posts: 645
    You can go directly to Sage for their certification, if you're already experienced in it you may well just be able to sit their online certification for £60-odd and away you go without having to pay for the course materials (Premier just provide Sage's self-study course anyway). Only thing I'm not sure of with that is how you get it validated as recognised prior learning for AAT, as Premier are doing that bit for me (I'm still annoyed I paid £650 for tutor support and a few online assignments that I haven't used at all, definitely just buying the books for level 3). Drop AAT support a line, they must do it somehow for the self-studiers and indeed those who had Sage or other certification from a previous life...
    you can just email them a copy of your certificate when you get it, i emailed AAT Support just to verify i could be exempted self study
  • NunezertronNunezertron Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 20
    So do you need to get hold of your own copy of Sage if you're self studying, and if so which version do you need?
    If you buy the individual module for computerised accounting do you get given a license to use Sage?
    well for computerised accounting module you have two options:
    1) buy it as a single module (premier or kaplan does this) for £250, premier provide you with sage
    practise disc and all material you will need to complete the sage exam then they email certificate to AAT, not sure if
    kaplan follows same route? OR
    2) buy sage instant accounts self study or sage 50 level 2 self study, which includes books, exam fee
    and sage practise disc (this is the cheaper way and exactly same as premier do) then do the sage exam online and you get results within 10 days, you then email copy of the certificate to AAT who then exempt you from computerised accounting module due to prior study (the sage exam)
  • steve2008steve2008 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 89
    caroline23 wrote: »
    well for computerised accounting module you have two options:
    2) buy sage instant accounts self study or sage 50 level 2 self study, which includes books, exam fee
    and sage practise disc (this is the cheaper way and exactly same as premier do) then do the sage exam online and you get results within 10 days, you then email copy of the certificate to AAT who then exempt you from computerised accounting module due to prior study (the sage exam)

I've just been looking at this, is sage instant accounts e-learning really equivalent to the CA module? The CA module needs marking, but it seems as though the sage one doesn't, and it doesn't seem to even be tested in an exam center. I am self studying too and the local exam center wants £84 on top of the £55 for the test to mark the CA module, so the sage route seems much cheaper to me, is there a catch?
  • CeeJaySixCeeJaySix Well-Known Registered Posts: 645
    Yep, the Sage certification is Recognised Prior Learning according to AAT for the CA module, so it exempts you from the CA module altogether (similar to AAT Level 4 making you exempt from certain ACCA modules). It's not sat at an exam centre, but there is an online exam you have to do via Sage which costs £60-odd if you fail the first one (first attempt included with the study pack).