Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Exam Marking

benashleybenashley New MemberRegistered Posts: 12
Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding how Exams are marked – if anyone knows!

I understand that you need to attain 70% on both sections in order to pass, no problem. But are the questions given a mark each or the sub-answers within a question given a mark each?

EG: You have to complete 4 answers for 1 question, if you are correct for 3 of the answers but the other 1 is incorrect. Would you be awarded 3 marks out of 4 for the 3 correct answers, or simply given 0 marks out of 1 for the question as a whole.

My understanding is that 1 mark is given for each question overall, therefore to pass my BCCG L2 exam I would need to answer 9/12 correct on Section 1 and 10/14 on Section 2.

Got it on Monday and passed all of my mocks so far but was just wondering.

Many Thanks

Comments

• crispycrispy Trusted Regular SouthamptonRegistered Posts: 456
    My understanding was that your exam was marked based on 'competence' rather than a total exam score. There probably is no individual marks awarded to questions but an overall assessment of your competence on review of your exam - eg. if you were to perform the same job in the real workplace, could you do it to an acceptable level.

This was the case when i took aat, so apologies if this has since changed and is incorrect.
  • benashleybenashley New Member Registered Posts: 12
    Oh I see, perhaps I was jumping the gun a little then!

Thanks
  • welshwizardwelshwizard Trusted Regular South WalesRegistered Posts: 465
    Hi

If you go to the Assessment Briefing (from the e-learning pages ==> here) you will see that if clearly states 70% for each section.

In order to set a 70% competency level, there must obviously be some form of numerical score otherwise you not be able to have a percentage (i.e. x out of 100).

The AAT has never revealed their marking strategy. I have asked for details of the marking scheme a number of times at different meetings/seminars and conferences and always been ignored/had my request denied.

My tip is to make sure that you are not just happy answering questions, but also that you understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. This way you will be far more likely to come out with a positive result.

Good luck - that hard work is really worth it.
  • benashleybenashley New Member Registered Posts: 12
    Thanks, I won’t pester them directly if its something they don’t disclose.

Completely agree with regards to answering questions!
  • CeeJaySixCeeJaySix Well-Known Registered Posts: 645
    I'm almost certain it cannot be one mark per question:

After your exam, some centres as well as your pass/fail give you break down by question of 'Exceeded', 'Competent' or 'Not Competent'. If it was one mark per question there would be no difference between 'Exceeded' and 'Competent'. That said, I've received 'Competent' marks on simple questions I feel I can't possibly have made a mistake on, so perhaps it's only possible to get 'Exceeded' on more complex questions where errors in non-critical fields can drop you to 'Competent' rather than 'Exceeded', and for the simpler questions is just competent or not.

Plus if you only got one mark per question, and a section has ten questions, you could fail on three silly non-critical errors, as despite you getting the meat of a question correct you lose the mark for entering an incorrect reference or something.

Just guessing mind...