Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)

Learning Methods

Hi Guys,

I have recently started LVL 2 with BPP distance learning. working my way through BA1 & I get to Chapter 7&8. I'm having difficulty with retaining the information whilst reading through the books.

Does anyone know of any good resources that can help to take in the information?

Thanks for any help!

Mikey

Comments

• topcattopcat Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 452
    Hi Guys,

I have recently started LVL 2 with BPP distance learning. working my way through BA1 & I get to Chapter 7&8. I'm having difficulty with retaining the information whilst reading through the books.

Does anyone know of any good resources that can help to take in the information?

Thanks for any help!

Mikey

Hi Mikey,

I found reading the information through of one chapter thoroughly and then doing the questions reenforced what i had learn t. I always keep going back to the questions to make the knowledge stick
  • allworkandnoplayallworkandnoplay Just Joined Registered Posts: 2
    topcat wrote: »
    Hi Mikey,

I found reading the information through of one chapter thoroughly and then doing the questions reenforced what i had learn t. I always keep going back to the questions to make the knowledge stick

Thanks Topcat, Seems like the best way so far!

Cheers
  • Jo ClarkJo Clark Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,525
    How about making some revision cards for each chapter, or an A4 sheet of notes on what you can remember and then you can use these for revision.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • steve2008steve2008 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 89
    I'd say take your time with BA1. Go slow and repeat the exercises until you are 100% comfortable with the concept of double entry.

Personally I think I spent almost half of my study time in level 2 on BA1 (excluding CA as I haven't done much on this module yet.)

I don't know if this will help, it's just something I came up with to understand the concept of double entry, if you don't understand it, ignore it.
    Treat all the accounts as IOUs. Everything should balance to 0, so you never 'pay' for anything, you simply write IOUs to each of the accounts.

For example: You invest £2000 in the business. The bank account owes you £2000 (£2000 DR), and you are owed £2000 (£2000 CR).
    Then you need to pay a gas bill for £150, so the gas account gives the bank account an IOU for £150 (Credit the bank account) as that is where it is 'borrowing' the money from and the gas account will become £150 DR since it 'owes' the bank account that £150.

That principle can (sorta) be extended to understand most other entries, e.g. A supplier gives you a discount, that's equivalent to them giving you money, so the discount received account is 'owed' money and will be in credit.

Again, that's just how it works in my mind, if it doesn't make sense the first time you read it then it's probably not worth trying to understand it.