Have I failed everything?

shane.wshane.w New MemberPosts: 23Registered
Okay, a little bit of a background. I did the access course (level one) and went on to do level two. I have done all my examy basic costing, WEAF, ba1 and computerized accounting (needs to verified) all I need to do is ba2... I am struggling with it and I missed the last two chapters due to illness. My tutor will not enter me for my exam which is next week. Does this mean I have failed the whole course? And need to re-do the whole of aat level two? Or will I just needs to sit basic accounting two to get the qualification?

Shane

Comments

• NpsNps Experienced Mentor Posts: 782Registered
    Panic not. Your previous results still stand. You just need to do the final exam to pass level 2.
  • shane.wshane.w New Member Posts: 23Registered
    Nps1976 wrote: »
    Panic not. Your previous results still stand. You just need to do the final exam to pass level 2.

So say I do Basic Accounting two next year, for example, then I will still be granted the AAT level two qualification?
    Absolutely.

A lot of us here self studied AAT, so we just revise one book, then go and sit the exam at an exam centre. It sounds like you are studying at a college? If so, the timetable you follow is purely the colleges timetable, not AAT's. Some pass AAT in a matter of months, others take a few years, it makes no difference, once you have passed all the exams in any level, you are awarded that level, regardless of how you did it.

There is a syllabus change soon which will put a time limit on a level (but only if you are mid way through a level when the change happens). If you are studying via a college though you don't need to worry about this though as the college should already have planned around that.

If you are struggling with BA2, just remember there are 3 main publishers who provide the study texts for each subject, so depending on which books your college uses, there are always 2 others you could look at to see if they suit your learning style better.
    Nps1976 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

A lot of us here self studied AAT, so we just revise one book, then go and sit the exam at an exam centre. It sounds like you are studying at a college? If so, the timetable you follow is purely the colleges timetable, not AAT's. Some pass AAT in a matter of months, others take a few years, it makes no difference, once you have passed all the exams in any level, you are awarded that level, regardless of how you did it.

There is a syllabus change soon which will put a time limit on a level (but only if you are mid way through a level when the change happens). If you are studying via a college though you don't need to worry about this though as the college should already have planned around that.

If you are struggling with BA2, just remember there are 3 main publishers who provide the study texts for each subject, so depending on which books your college uses, there are always 2 others you could look at to see if they suit your learning style better.

Sorry I should have mentioned that I am studying at College. I'm working from the Osborne books.

Do you know when this syllabus change is coming in?

So I could take my BA2 exam in September and still be awarded the complete AAT qualfication? I'm so confused on what I am meant to do... My tutor is not being heplful at all.
    The syllabus change is coming in in Sept. if you are mid way through a level you will have till Dec 14 to complete it. If you start a new level after Sep, you will automatically go onto the new syllabus. They are only minor changes so don't let it concern you. I only mentioned it as an exception to when I said that you could take as long as you like to finish a level.

And yes, taking your exam in September is fine, remember the only timetable is your college timetable, they don't affect your AAT qualification at all. Once the exams are passed, regardless of how or when, you will have the qualification.

If you have the summer holidays free, you could even try self studying for a few months and do the exam before you go back, but that would of course, cost you an exam fee.
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,189Registered
    I would also check with the college if they have but resit dates on during the hols especially for those doing level 4, you may be able to fit it before September if they can squeeze you in.

Good luck
  • Kelly7Kelly7 Well-Known Posts: 218Registered
    Your tutor doesn't seem very helpful. But yes like others have said, I would check if there are re-sit dates over the summer at your college and if not ask if you can take the exam around September when you start back to do level 3.

Also, I would do the practise exams with the answers open at the same time to check you're doing it right and anything that you're not sure of write down and ask your tutor to go over it with you, or you can ask on here. I know sometimes you can feel awkward asking for help or saying in front of the class that you don't understand but I did quite a lot this year and found people telling me after that they were glad I asked 'cos they didn't get it either, plus, I probably wouldn't have passed my exams if I hadn't. It's their job and what they get paid for.

Kelly
    Thank you everyone for your help.

I think I am going to take it in August/September, when I feel ready enough. I might take my level 3 in 2014 instead at another college. If anyone has any tips/tricks with sayings or how to remember things with BA2, please let me know!

Thanks,

Shane