Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Distance Learning and Working full time

cesheardcesheard New MemberRegistered Posts: 9
I am just wondering if anyone else has or is going through the same exam stresses that I am at the moment and how they are/did over come them.

I work full time and I am funding my studies myself so that I can study by distance learning. I have booked my exam for the middle of September in Basic Accounting 1 and I am now realising that by the time I get home from work and eat etc its gone 8pm before I actually have time to myself and by then I am too tired to revise.

I have done practice papers. The first one I did I got 145/175, this then increased to 167/175 and the one that I split between Weds and Thurs this week I got 172/175.

Am I putting myself under too much pressure? Does anyone have any tips on this?

Comments

• VleeVlee Well-Known Registered Posts: 136
    It sounds like you are doing fine, you still have a month to go and you are more than just scraping a pass, you are probably ready now.

I'm in a similar position, except my 'work' is looking after two little kids, we put them to bed, eat and I'm lucky to be ready to study by 8pm. For serious study time I can get more done at weekends. I guess it's about planning, stick to the plan and organising yourself to give the most time and energy - so easy cooking on study days - batch cooking at weekend and freezing. Make sure anyone you live with is encouraging you too, and not distracting you. Level 2 isn't too hard so once you have BA1 and 2 done that's the harder bit done.
  • cesheardcesheard New Member Registered Posts: 9
    Thanks for replying! I live on my own so I guess I can be grateful in that respect. In order to get the day off before the exam and the morning 9f the exam I'm having to work an extra half hour a day until the day before. There is no other way to do it unfortunately :-(
  • Jo ClarkJo Clark Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,525
    Hello

Is there any chance that you could you take annual leave or flexi time if your company offers this. Alternatively, why not see if you can make the time up after the exam. Have you spoken to your manager about your studies, if not, perhaps it is worth a quick/quiet word with them to see if they can offer you any support if not already doing so.

My manager (and work colleagues) are really supportive of me and my studies (I am also self funding)... we have a deadline next year, roughly same date every year. My next exam is due around the same time! I have already asked for annual leave to revise etc. (I'm a bit OTT at being organised sometimes!!!) so it can be checked/authorised or my plans rescheduled if necessary.

I think a quick chat with your manager may help relieve some of the stress you have and help with your study plans :o

Good luck with your first exam, it sounds to me like you are doing really well!

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
    Hi Jo. It's difficult to take annual leave when you work in a team of 3 and one books the whole of the summer holidays off. The other is working on a project for a client which he only started this week so at the moment I'm working with a temp who is partially covering his job. There are a lot of things the temp can't do either. My manager is aware of my exam but everything has to be pretty much done through email as she lives in Birmingham and I work in Bristol and she's barely in the office. It might be difficult to make up the time after the exam as I am on holiday the week after.

Getting study leave within this firm only applies if you're in a training contract and it's very difficult to get one. Let alone the last time my manager asked a director he apparently said its not going to benefit the firm-but its an accountancy firm.
    Sorry to hear that :( was just some ideas....
    Benjamin Franklin
    Hi Jo. I know it sucks. I was just going to do another post about the trial balance- remembering what goes where- but I found someone beat me to it already. That's the bit I always get stuck on.

Also, on a different note, do you just get a pass or fail after your exam or do you get the score as well
    Just get competent or not yet competent. If not yet competent you can ask for feedback... Well you can ask if competent too although not sure how helpful the feedback is really :)
    Benjamin Franklin
  • YunYun Feels At Home Registered Posts: 25
    I know the feeling... I have been distance learning while working full-time for a year. It can be a challenge.

From July 2013 and February 2013, I worked in the city and spent about 4 hours on the train every day. Got up at 6, worked from 9 to 6 + overtime. By the time I got home it was like 8 or 9 even later. I was shattered... Although I passed my exams still but I must admit before sitting the exams I was rather stressed...

This April I got a job only 30 mins drive from home. It just works so much better. I am at home at around 6:30, have dinner and relax for a few hours and then study at 9 pm for 1.5 hours. At weekends I study for a few hours in the morning and sometimes evening. Because of these reasons I have become much more confident with exams.
    Is that why there is such a lag between the BCCG and CMPA completion dates? I find if I'm learning something new I have to have a fresh head and the best times for that are the weekends. I don't always study every weekend it just depends if I have something planned but I saw on Facebook that someone completed the Level 2 in 6 months? Really? Am I just being very slow? I'm also looking to bring my exam forward to this week- if the boss lets me- as I keep getting over 98% and I don't think I'll get that much better as it is just a pass or fail exam. There a few things I keep getting muddled up on but I have just made revision notes for them. I only work about 3 miles from home but the traffic can be horrendous some evenings. I find I'm ok revising in the evening but not learning anything new.

Who is your provider? I'm with BPP and I find their materials very good and helpful.
    Oh I noticed that I got the dates wrong in my previous post. I meant to say ''Between July 2012 and February 2013'', but not ''between July 2013 and February 2013''... Just waking up :D
    cesheard wrote: »
    Is that why there is such a lag between the BCCG and CMPA completion dates? I find if I'm learning something new I have to have a fresh head and the best times for that are the weekends. I don't always study every weekend it just depends if I have something planned but I saw on Facebook that someone completed the Level 2 in 6 months? Really? Am I just being very slow? I'm also looking to bring my exam forward to this week- if the boss lets me- as I keep getting over 98% and I don't think I'll get that much better as it is just a pass or fail exam. There a few things I keep getting muddled up on but I have just made revision notes for them. I only work about 3 miles from home but the traffic can be horrendous some evenings. I find I'm ok revising in the evening but not learning anything new.

Who is your provider? I'm with BPP and I find their materials very good and helpful.

Hi Catherine, I studied Level 2 with Kaplan but am doing Level 3 with PT. :) They gave me a timetable, aiming to complete Level 3 in a year's time. Not a bad thing though. :)
    I guess I am just going slow then :/ lol
    cesheard wrote: »
    I guess I am just going slow then :/ lol

You are not going slow... you should copmplete each module and level at the speed in which you feel happy/comfortable. There is no point rushing and just learning to pass the exams :o You need to have a good understanding of the early levels to place you in a better position for subsequent levels and possibly chartered qualifications should you decide to take that route.

A little quote I found which may/may not help:

'Never worry about the delay of your success compared to others, because the construction of a palace takes more time than an ordinary building'
    Benjamin Franklin
    I really like this -''Never worry about the delay of your success compared to others, because the construction of a palace takes more time than an ordinary building''

Very true... Everyone is different. Everyone is unique. Hence we can't compare ours to others

:thumbup1:
  • Pebbles7880Pebbles7880 New Member Registered Posts: 6
    I completely understand as I'm also in the same situation. Its took me 18 months part because I rushed to sit my BA1 first time around and I know now I was nowhere near ready and the other being (as I'm also self funding is affording to purchase the units.)
    I'm with Kaplan and I'm buying as I go, I'm currently studying for my BA2 and a Sage course (handy hint: a groupon offer that appears now and again at a fraction of the cost with learn direct - if you provide a certificate of completion then it will count towards your qualification).
    All I can say is keep going, don't give up and keep at it - it's taking me longer than I wanted to but I will do it and so will you!
  • NpsNps Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 782
    You might want to check that the Sage certification is still accepted as prior learning. I don't think AAT accept it any more.
  • Pebbles7880Pebbles7880 New Member Registered Posts: 6
    I purchased it as a groupon offer and are doing that aswell as my BA2 which I will complete before the Sage course, they will accept it. As long as you can prove you have Sage certification it counts towards your BA Level 2.