Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Sales Returns Day Book & Cash/Settlement Discount Question?

Brownie3Brownie3 Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 45
Morning, Can you help please?

I have a Sale of £1000, there is a 5% Cash/Settlement discount + Vat, so the Invoice is sent for £1190.

So we have...

Cr Sales £1000
Cr Vat £190
Dr Trade Receivables £1190 (Entry also in Subsid Ledger for the Individual).

Now the Debtor decides to Return £200 worth of the Goods, as a Sales Return.

Do I factor in the Cash/Settlement Discount in the Cr Invoice?

So is the Cr Invoice for £240, i.e. £200 + Vat, £240

Or is it for £200 + Vat, £238 (Which incorporates the 5% cash/settlement discount).

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 794
    Brownie3 wrote: »
    Morning, Can you help please?

I have a Sale of £1000, there is a 5% Cash/Settlement discount + Vat, so the Invoice is sent for £1190.

So we have...

Cr Sales £1000
    Cr Vat £190
    Dr Trade Receivables £1190 (Entry also in Subsid Ledger for the Individual).

Now the Debtor decides to Return £200 worth of the Goods, as a Sales Return.

Do I factor in the Cash/Settlement Discount in the Cr Invoice?

So is the Cr Invoice for £240, i.e. £200 + Vat, £240

Or is it for £200 + Vat, £238 (Which incorporates the 5% cash/settlement discount).

Cheers in advance.

If there was a settlement discount on the original invoice then you must take it into account when calculating VAT on the credit note. If you don't the VAT won't tie up. Think about the situation if they had returned all the goods, the VAT on the credit note would have to be the same as the VAT on the invoice, if it isn't then there'd be a balance on the VAT liability account