How to find jobs in small/medium firms ?

George Tse
George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello

Just a simple question as I have started to look for employment in accounts after qualifying 4 years ago and not working as an accountant so limited experience.

I would just like to know how to go about looking for work/work experience with small/medium firms ? Would I look for them in yellow pages send them a letter asking if they would like to take a trainee for assistant accountant on ?

Regards

Gentle

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    www.gov.uk/jobsearch is a good place to start.
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Hello

Just a simple question as I have started to look for employment in accounts after qualifying 4 years ago and not working as an accountant so limited experience.

I would just like to know how to go about looking for work/work experience with small/medium firms ? Would I look for them in yellow pages send them a letter asking if they would like to take a trainee for assistant accountant on ?

Regards

Gentle

Hi Gentle,

When I was looking for my first role in a firm, I indeed searched the yellow pages and google for local practises. Then if there was a contact number listed, I would call them up and enquire who deals with recruiting new staff and also there email address. This does make your covering letter a bit more personal and it also shows you have gone the extra mile to reach out to the person, when sending your CV and covering letter. You may still get rejections and no replies but it only takes one company to get back to you.

Persistence is key and don't give up!

Good luck

Aaron

AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • George Tse
    George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks for the replies guys

Will it be a good idea to start in small accounting firms as I don think there is a chance of me getting in to the "Big 4" or even one of the top 10 Accounting firms.

Also is going through Recruitment agencies a good idea as in the pass I have only been given temps jobs in the accounting department doing mainly admin work ?

Gentlé
Privacy Policy