Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Home learning? Any suggestions who to go with?

I am hoping to start AAT level 2 as home learning course, as I think it will give me more flexibility. Can anyone recommend one, I read a lot about Home learning college, possibly not very good, but most of the discussions are from last year. There seems to be lot of good feedback about Eagle?
Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments

• ariadneariadne Registered Posts: 218
    I'd try self study first, it will save you money and if you find you need tutor support then sign up to a provider at that point. I'm sure I've heard Eagle are good, I used Kaplan for L3 spreadsheets which had good online support section and their books are good too, although I never had any need for tutor support or forums. You will be able to get help here if you need it, some posters are fellow students at all levels while others are tutors or practicing accountants.

For self study I'd buy a copy of the two basic accounting textbooks (Kaplan, Osbourne and BPP are all good publishers I've used, bought off ebay to make it better value) and see if you can get through those, they are the hardest modules at L2, but it's a very gentle introduction and there are further resources on AAT's website. I've just finished L3 self study and it's very doable, I'm hoping I can do L4 or equivalent this way too.
  • smellie6smellie6 Registered Posts: 2
    Thank you for your comment. I have done Manual bookkeeping through my local college and I found the classroom environment helpful, but I would like to start in the New Year and don't really want to wait until September. I will have a look at the books. Also did you register with AAT before you started self study?
    I only registered once I needed to take an exam, I didn't do L2 exams so only registered once I wanted to do a L3 exam, although it is a useful resource. You might find you don't need to do L2 if you already have a good understanding of double entry - have you tried the skills check on the AAT website? You could easily do L2 and 3 by September and be ready to do L4 in college.
    smellie6
  • sam21sam21 Registered Posts: 2
    ariadne said:

I only registered once I needed to take an exam, I didn't do L2 exams so only registered once I wanted to do a L3 exam, although it is a useful resource. You might find you don't need to do L2 if you already have a good understanding of double entry - have you tried the skills check on the AAT website? You could easily do L2 and 3 by September and be ready to do L4 in college.

I wanted to start my Level 2 now but when i go on to the AAT website they state i must register first. i have purchased the relevant textbooks off ebay and wanted to know if i was required to register?

Can you please provide any assistance with this?
  • Adele69Adele69 CambridgeAAT Student Posts: 320
    I guess you've read this post? You'd still need to take the exams at one of the external assessment centres, so find the one nearest/most convenient to you and ask them how much it would cost just to sit the exams. You'll also need to register with AAT but probably already have if posting here.

http://forums.aat.org.uk/discussion/38369/how-do-i-sit-aat-assessments-if-i-study-by-distance-learning#latest
    You need to register to access the MyAAT resources and sit the exam, but you don't need to register while you study from the books. I did all the study and practice questions and tests before I registered, although the MyAAT tests and other resources are very helpful.
  • Seanyin111Seanyin111 Registered Posts: 3
    Hi, have a look at Kaplan. Their website gives you all you need to know. I did my Personal tax exam with them and found they were very professional. If i had to redo my AAT quals then id choose Kaplan all day long.