WKAF - How long did it take

Hi All,

I have passed 2 exams for level 2 so far PBKT & Control Journal (I studied them together and took a month and a half).
Is 4 weeks acceptable amount of study time before I take the WKAF? and should I study this before going to Costing Exam?

Thanks,

Sasha :)
AAT Level 2 :)
PBKT Nov 14
CJBS Dec 14
WKAF Jan 15
CJBS Feb 15
CPAG - Studying!

Comments

• DDOROURKE123DDOROURKE123 Posts: 62Registered
    Have you got any tips for the control accounts?
  • ariadneariadne Posts: 218Registered
    I suspect the exam has changed a bit but if the might syllabus be the same. If you already have work experience (not necessarily accouting but office work perhaps is more helpful) you can fly through the learning - I did it in about a day, well an evening probably. It may take a bit longer if you are newer to the work place but there was a lot of common sense stuff.

I don't think you need to study in any order but I also found BC very quick to get through. The hardest bit was inventory - LIFO, FIFO, AVCO. This bit is re taught at L3 so very useful to understand well at L2. I got through BC within a week. I didn't take the exam so I'd add a week for exam technique, so four weeks is plenty.

Although it also depends on how much time you have - I only had evenings and weekends for L2 and starting L3 but had two extra days more recently, this helped me to get through four L3 exams in six weeks.

The two modules you have already passed are the hardest at L2 in my opinion so you shouldn't have a problem with these next two.
  • sashalousmithsashalousmith Posts: 23Registered
    ariadne said:

I suspect the exam has changed a bit but if the might syllabus be the same. If you already have work experience (not necessarily accouting but office work perhaps is more helpful) you can fly through the learning - I did it in about a day, well an evening probably. It may take a bit longer if you are newer to the work place but there was a lot of common sense stuff.

I don't think you need to study in any order but I also found BC very quick to get through. The hardest bit was inventory - LIFO, FIFO, AVCO. This bit is re taught at L3 so very useful to understand well at L2. I got through BC within a week. I didn't take the exam so I'd add a week for exam technique, so four weeks is plenty.

Although it also depends on how much time you have - I only had evenings and weekends for L2 and starting L3 but had two extra days more recently, this helped me to get through four L3 exams in six weeks.

The two modules you have already passed are the hardest at L2 in my opinion so you shouldn't have a problem with these next two.

Ah thanks for your response that was really helpful! I have been working in Finance for 8 years so I think I should be able to get through both these exams by end of Feb :)
    PBKT Nov 14
    CJBS Dec 14
    WKAF Jan 15
    CJBS Feb 15
    CPAG - Studying!
  • chalnikkalchalnikkal Posts: 1Registered
    I don't think you need to study in any order but I also found BC very quick to get through. The hardest bit was inventory - LIFO, FIFO, AVCO. This bit is re taught at L3 so very useful to understand well at L2. I got through BC within a week. I didn't take the exam so I'd add a week for exam technique, so four weeks is plenty. ???
    GuL

I don't think you need to study in any order but I also found BC very quick to get through. The hardest bit was inventory - LIFO, FIFO, AVCO. This bit is re taught at L3 so very useful to understand well at L2. I got through BC within a week. I didn't take the exam so I'd add a week for exam technique, so four weeks is plenty. ???

Okay great, I am going to have a look through the material tonight and probably aim to take my exam in 2-3 weeks. I want to get level 2 done as soon as possible :) thanks for your help!

PBKT Nov 14
    CJBS Dec 14
    WKAF Jan 15
    CJBS Feb 15
    CPAG - Studying!
    I think the above poster is questioning what I said about BC. Not sure why but with a background in Finance you shouldn't have a problem at all. Having an aptitude for maths really helps with BC and costs and revenues at L3, especially percentages which I presume you have. You should find L3 no problem too. I'm the opposite, I have the exams but no proper finance experience. It would be good to know if you are finding AAT helpful for your work. I got a call from a recruiter today which was a surprise, I'm hoping AAT has been helpful prep for the real world of accounts.
    ariadne said:

I think the above poster is questioning what I said about BC. Not sure why but with a background in Finance you shouldn't have a problem at all. Having an aptitude for maths really helps with BC and costs and revenues at L3, especially percentages which I presume you have. You should find L3 no problem too. I'm the opposite, I have the exams but no proper finance experience. It would be good to know if you are finding AAT helpful for your work. I got a call from a recruiter today which was a surprise, I'm hoping AAT has been helpful prep for the real world of accounts.

Yeah from reading through both BC and WK books last night briefly I don't think will take me too long to get through them both. I work in Finance and have done for 8 years but haven't worked in accounting directly but definitely an advantage. AAT isn't helping my current role but am actively looking for a direct role in accountancy but think I need to pass my full level 2 before anyone will consider me! Do you work in accounting at the moment?

PBKT Nov 14
    CJBS Dec 14
    WKAF Jan 15
    CJBS Feb 15
    CPAG - Studying!
    No, I'm home with my kids at the moment. I have a little voluntary experience and some bits I did at work - I was a civil servant doing admin, programme management and policy work so this is a big career change. I was surprised to get a call from a recruiter as I've been at home for four years but I think the office experience really helps even if not directly to do with accounting, I'm sure you'll find something easily with your experience. I'm seeing ACCA in job ads a lot so plan to do this alongside L4, AAT has been a good introduction to prepare for ACCA. The recruitment consultant said the employment market was buoyant which is a good sign. I think it may be easier to get a few temp roles first to boost my CV and then get a good permanent job.
    Oh wow that is really good and very impressive seeing as you have little ones to look at too! I am hoping I will be able to find a role soon as although I work in Finance I am desperate to work in accountancy. I have meeting for a voluntary treasurer role next week so hoping that will help boost my CV! Good look with the exams and finding a role - sure you will be great :)
    PBKT Nov 14
    CJBS Dec 14
    WKAF Jan 15
    CJBS Feb 15
    CPAG - Studying!