Bought Osbourne books 2010 edition

I bought a full set of Osbourne books last weekend, studied through to Chapter 2 and just realised that the books were printed in 2010. The only out of date information I have noticed so far is the VAT rate, is there anything else that I should be aware of? Or should I just buy the newest edition instead?

I'm getting a bit worried as I don't want to go through the whole thing with wrong information.

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• ariadneariadne Posts: 218Registered
    There shouldn't be much difference with the two bookkeeping modules, except the VAT, there is also another change that may be coming in soon with regards to the calculation of VAT on settlement discounts - someone mentioned it on here so you may need to look into this as even the latest books won't cover it, although it should make it easier. I think basic costing is unlikely to have changed either. The working in accountancy and finance module may have a different format for exams so best to look into this and whether the book is good for the course content but you need a revision text for the exam technique. With the computerised accounting module you probably need to buy a package which will come with up to date materials, software (unless you are using this confidently in work already) and exam marking.

The outlines of the syllabus are all on MyAAT and the exam feedback is particularly useful as you can see exactly what is tested in each question. I had old books and did new practice exams, it was easily able to see what wasn't covered and find this information online. The best way to see which modules have changed significantly is to see which exams were able to be carried forward from the 2010 standards to 2013 without a transitional assessment. Most have changed because the assessment format changed, eg. at L3 only ethics changed because it became an exam with written parts, but I suspect the content is mostly the same and a new revision booklet would help prepare for the exam style.
  • Poppy_ddPoppy_dd Posts: 12Registered
    ariadne said:

There shouldn't be much difference with the two bookkeeping modules, except the VAT, there is also another change that may be coming in soon with regards to the calculation of VAT on settlement discounts - someone mentioned it on here so you may need to look into this as even the latest books won't cover it, although it should make it easier. I think basic costing is unlikely to have changed either. The working in accountancy and finance module may have a different format for exams so best to look into this and whether the book is good for the course content but you need a revision text for the exam technique. With the computerised accounting module you probably need to buy a package which will come with up to date materials, software (unless you are using this confidently in work already) and exam marking.

The outlines of the syllabus are all on MyAAT and the exam feedback is particularly useful as you can see exactly what is tested in each question. I had old books and did new practice exams, it was easily able to see what wasn't covered and find this information online. The best way to see which modules have changed significantly is to see which exams were able to be carried forward from the 2010 standards to 2013 without a transitional assessment. Most have changed because the assessment format changed, eg. at L3 only ethics changed because it became an exam with written parts, but I suspect the content is mostly the same and a new revision booklet would help prepare for the exam style.

Thank you so much for replying. I will definitely check the working in accountancy and finance book out to see if I'll need to buy an updated edition.