Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Distance Learners - How do you manage your time?

Hi everyone, complete starter here, literally just got my books this morning. As usual I've dived straight in headfirst and completed 5 chapters and sets of practise questions and am enjoying it already!

My question is, how do you manage your time? I'm lucky in that I am free to do a reasonable amount at work (perhaps 1-2 hours per day), and I hope to do a similar amount in the evenings at home. Is this too much/too little compared to other Level 2 Distance Learners?

I don't want the course to take too long, but at the same time am concerned that rushing through the modules will mean I haven't really absorbed the information.

Do you set yourself targets or time periods?

Thanks in advance,

Jess,
West Yorkshire

Comments

• ChristianBChristianB AAT Online Community Coordinator Registered Posts: 201
    edited February 2015
    Hi @JessL

Welcome for the forums (and to AAT).

This is a good topic to raise. Everyone organises their time a bit differently, and for distance learners it's imperative to get it right fairly quickly.

We posted a blog article about this a few years ago. It's a bit dated, but the salient facts are still pretty relevant.

It'll be interesting to see what other Level 2 students have to say about this.

Regards
    I have now left AAT. If you require any assistance with the forums, please contact membership support: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us
  • JessLJessL Registered Posts: 3
    Thank you Christian, I'll take a look!
  • MsChuckles22MsChuckles22 Registered Posts: 3
    Hi JessL

I'm not a distance learner but a full time mum studying Level 2 AAT once a week in the evening with a SKS Accountancy Training Academy. I started Level 2 in October 2014 and am doing the last module exam computerised accounting tomorrow night. I read all the Chapters before class and did all the activities and have passed all the exams first time. Hopefully tomorrow will be no exception! So if it works for you keep doing it. I've enjoyed it so much, have started studying CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting although the CIMA site and study support is nowhere as good as AAT. Good luck with your studies

M
    StuartW
  • JessLJessL Registered Posts: 3
    Well done MrsChuckles that can't be easy!
    MsChuckles22
  • Poppy_ddPoppy_dd Registered Posts: 12
    Hi JessL

I have started a few week ago and have just completed my first exam today. Same as you, I don't want to spend too long on level 2, I want to move on to L3 before end of April. I work full time so I get up early to study for an hour before work and another hour or so in the evening. I also spend around 4-6 hours on the weekend.

I don't think you can study too quickly as long as you understand the materials, but that's just just my 2 cents.

Regards
  • MsChuckles22MsChuckles22 Registered Posts: 3
    Hi JessL

Agree with Poppy_dd - re studying too quickly - am pleased to report passed the last module in Computerised Accounting so now have passed all of Level 2 in 5 months. Revising for CIMA certificate first module as I type as first exam next Friday! For me making a concentrated effort in a short time frame helps to retain the information to do the exams and still enjoy doing it. :) I also find using AAT study resources really help too.

• Jonathan.Jonathan. LiverpoolRegistered Posts: 1
    Hi JessL.

I recently started as well. I work full time so managing my time was a worry. As luck would have it I work for an accountancy firm who don't mind me hitting the books if work is sparse.

I do around 2 hours a day and a little more than that on the weekend. Seems more than enough. It doesn't seem as scary as it looks.
    StuartW