Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Level 2 certificate without enrolling with a course provider (i.e. self study) question

In brief, my question is: is it possible to study the Level 2 Certificate in Accounting through a self-study pathway. Will I be able to sit all of the exams required to attain a level 2 certificate in accounting without enrolling in a course?

Although I understand that this question has been previously answered, those that I have found date back a good 2 years at least and the answers they give vary.

Does anyone have any hands on experience registering for and sitting exams without enrolling with a course provider?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Denk15Denk15 Registered Posts: 2
    Yup, I'm currently doing the AAT Level 2 through self study

I found a local test center through the AAT website and contacted them asking if they accepted outside students, which they do. So Now I just study at home and when I'm ready I contact the test center to see when the next exam slot is and book it.

I haven't had to enroll with them or anything, and they only charge per exam I take

Hope that helps
  • georginamerrickgeorginamerrick Registered Posts: 1
    I am currently self studying Level 2 from Osborne Books. So far so good.... there is plenty of information in the books and the AAT website so its not a struggle at all.

My local college is the venue for my exams as they take External students.

Id say go for it !
  • coolhandflexcoolhandflex New Member Registered Posts: 20
    Hi all. I have 2011 Osbourne Basic Accounting Tutorial and Workbooks. Are these books still relevant or do I need to purchase more up to date ones ? Thanks
    Anyone ?
  • DDOROURKE123DDOROURKE123 Registered Posts: 62
    Hi,

You need to purchase new ones, 2013 Osbourne Books

it gets updated every 3 years but I'm not sure how much actually changes
    Thanks for the reply. Do you think buying the Basic Accounting Tutorial and Workbooks are the best entry point books for Level 2 AAT ?
  • uncleguruuncleguru Registered Posts: 1
    I have asked a local test centre (Pitman) and they are asking for a AAT ID. I have tried signing up online but AAT want a training provider ID. How do I get round this? I would like to get AAT Level 2 before Sept if possible so I can enrol at college to do level 3.
  • maxstuartmaxstuart Registered Posts: 6
    did you ever work around this is I'd be interested to know
  • SketchbexSketchbex Registered Posts: 12
    Just to clarify do you have to register with a trainer by for the exams or do I only have to speak to the exam centre directly?
  • AC88AC88 AAT Student Posts: 44
    edited May 2017
    @Sketchbex No, you do not need a trainer to do the course. Just the books which you can buy from literally anywhere:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aq2016+level+2+books&oq=aq2016+level+2+books&aqs=chrome..69i57.9295j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=aq2016+level+2+books&tbm=shop

Then just pay for the exams yourself, prices vary only slightly but this should give you a good idea: http://financial.kaplan.co.uk/TrainingandQuals/Accountancy/AAT/Pages/computer-based-tests.aspx

Hope this helps
    I don't mean so sound slow but I should technically be able to contact any centre that provides the exams and they will take me as an external student?
  • AC88AC88 AAT Student Posts: 44
    Yes, anywhere that has the exams will take you as an external student, the above was just an example
    You are a star, looks like I'm going to dive into this.
  • DannyT90DannyT90 Surrey AAT Student, AATQB Posts: 159
    That's good to know for when I do level 3!
    Save me £50 a month!!
  • martinf93martinf93 Registered Posts: 4
    I'm looking to do this now, quick question with self study? Do I have to buy Sage 50? As this is looking to be more expensive than signing up to a home study course?
  • DannyT90DannyT90 Surrey AAT Student, AATQB Posts: 159
    You could just use the Free months trial, rather then paying for a certain amount of time.
  • muzafar786muzafar786 Registered Posts: 1
    Hi I'm studying level 2 foundation in accounting. Would like to know where is it best to gain some experience with an accounts assistant role ?