PBKT - Day Books within and without Double Entry Help!

benyoung742benyoung742 AberdeenPosts: 4Registered
Hi there,

I am looking for some help and advice. I recently finished this module and am trying to do assessments and practice questions, also tried the green light tests. I seem to be really struggling with the whole concept and topic of posting from day books to the general ledger, including the cash book, either when day books are and aren't included in double entry. I am also confused with cash books in general, because I see in many cases where you have totals, net, cash, bank and purchases/sales and I always get them mixed up.

If anyone could help with any hits/tips, further reading it would greatly be appreciated. I am a distance learning student so I do not have classmates or teachers for assistance.

Comments

• NME504NME504 New Member Posts: 67AAT Student, AATQB
    http://www.aatcomment.org.uk/aat-developing-your-career/studying-accountancy/level-2-double-entry-bookkeeping-exam-tips This is a great article that the AAT have posted in their AAT comment blog. You may find it useful.
    Natasha

Why not join the Accounting Student Network Facebook group. 1000's of students have found it a one-stop centre for studying resources, motivation & Career development - You can too!!
    facebook.com/groups/accountingstudentnetwork
  • benyoung742benyoung742 AberdeenPosts: 4Registered
    NME504 said:

http://www.aatcomment.org.uk/aat-developing-your-career/studying-accountancy/level-2-double-entry-bookkeeping-exam-tips This is a great article that the AAT have posted in their AAT comment blog. You may find it useful.

Thank you that helps a lot with double entry. Do you know of any articles about the cash book being part of double entry and also when it's not part of double entry as that is one of the main struggles I have.
  • JC101JC101 Posts: 22AAT Student
    With regards to when the cashbook is being part of the double entry system and when it's not. I think of it as...

If the cashbook is part of the general ledger (double entry system) then the total figures under the Cash and Bank columns in the cashbook have already been posted to the general ledger (since the cashbook acts as the Cash and Bank account in the general ledger).

If the cashbook is only a book of prime entry (therefore not part of the general ledger / double entry system) then these figures haven't been posted yet, and will need to be posted to the Cash and Bank account in the general ledger.

Hope that helps.
    benyoung742
  • benyoung742benyoung742 AberdeenPosts: 4Registered
    JC101 said:

With regards to when the cashbook is being part of the double entry system and when it's not. I think of it as...

If the cashbook is part of the general ledger (double entry system) then the total figures under the Cash and Bank columns in the cashbook have already been posted to the general ledger (since the cashbook acts as the Cash and Bank account in the general ledger).

If the cashbook is only a book of prime entry (therefore not part of the general ledger / double entry system) then these figures haven't been posted yet, and will need to be posted to the Cash and Bank account in the general ledger.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot thanks! For any analysed columns in the cash book like VAT/Sales etc they still need to be posted to the general ledger if the cash book is part of the general ledger?
  • JC101JC101 Posts: 22AAT Student
    Yes, all other postings need to be posted as normal... it doesn't matter whether the cashbook is just a book of prime entry or whether it's a book of prime entry and part of the general ledger.