Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Self Study

Hi all,

I've been looking to start my AAT level 2 for some time now and have posted about this previously on here but it took a back seat while I was moving into my new house.

Now I'm settled in I am looking to start at soon as possible I just have a few questions that I am hoping can be answered.

Do I need to be an AAT member to sit my exams at my local test centre?
I have been told the books are changing this year, is this true?
Also can anybody recommend where a full set of level 2 books can be purchased?
Is there an order in which I should attempt each module?

I would love to hear from anyone that has done this themselves and hear how they found the whole experience so I know what to expect.

If anybody can help with any of these it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Nathan

Comments

• AAT_TeamAAT_Team Administrator Posts: 548
    edited June 2016
    Hi Nathan,

-Do I need to be an AAT member to sit my exams at my local test centre?
    You absolutely have to be registered to sit your exams. We highly recommend registering as soon as you start with AAT because you will have access to more materials, information and support through your MyAAT account.

-I have been told the books are changing this year, is this true?
    The curriculum is changing but if you start an AAT course this year under the current version you will have until December 2017 to finish. After that you can then go on to the next level using new curriculum.

-Also can anybody recommend where a full set of level 2 books can be purchased?
    Might be worth checking our buying and selling thread.

-Is there an order in which I should attempt each module?
    This is really up to you but members and students may have some real-life advice for you on this.

Feel free to call one of our student advisers for more information. Our lines are open Monday to Thursday 09.00-20.00 and Friday 09.00-17.00 - Call us on +44(0)20 3735 2434
  • RosieJaneRosieJane Registered Posts: 35
    Hi Nathan

I have just completed L3 by self-study and started L4.

I use Osborne books and find them very easy to understand. If you check eBay there are usually some secondhand sets for sale. Kaplan and BPP also produce learning materials.

You need to be registered with AAT to sit exams. I use Kaplan as my test centre and they need your AAT registration number in order to set you up as an external candidate. All exams can be booked online.

The books are changing for AQ2016 which starts in September. I am doing my L4 optional units now on AQ2013 and then finishing the rest on AQ2016. Certain modules might not transfer over so you would need to check. You do have upto Dec 17 to finish if you start on AQ2013 now though if you wanted to do that.

There usually is a bit of an order recommended but I cannot remember for L2. Maybe check Kaplan website, there may be advice on there?

It is worth mentioning that you can start straight onto Level 3 if you are competent enough (might save a few ££'s) as Level 2 is not mandatory

As long as you are comitted to reading your books and revising enough before sitting your exams, you should be fine :)

• WakhileCalvinWakhileCalvin Registered Posts: 1
    Hi all

I hold an ICM Advanced diploma in Accounting and Finance and i wish to start the AAT qualification but i am confused where to start.Some told me i can only write Level 4 and some told me to start from Level 2.Can you please advice me guys.

Your help will be highly appreciated

Wakhile
  • RosieJaneRosieJane Registered Posts: 35
    You can skip level 2 and start at Level 3