Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Study AQ2013 - Sit AQ2016 exams

Hey, thanks in advance for reading.

So I purchased the level 2 course about 18 months ago, soon after was in hospital for a year so couldn't actually start studying. Obviously my AAT membership lapsed during this time. So about 2 weeks ago I decided to restart my studies. I renewed my membership and was told I was too late and had to start AQ2016.

The problem I have is I have all my AQ2013 course materials. I bought through Kaplan and have spoken with them and they say I should buy a new course or pay a transfer fee. The issue for me is I've already paid c.£700 for this course. It's distance learning.

I've worked my way through PBKT and CJBS in like 2.5 weeks. I'm flying through it, and have done the MyAAT practice assessments for 2016 and there doesn't seem to be any issues? I've gotten 96% in the mock assessments and all green lights.

So i've booked the BTRN and BKCL exams and going to take them anyway and see what happens. But my question is, are these two syllabuses really that different? I'm aware of the change to the VAT situation (PPD/ESD), and aware of the addition of the Synoptic Assessment, but is there any other changes? Am I going to walk in to the exam and find the entire content of a unit has changed?

By the way I'm 21 so am I correct in assuming I can resit these exams as many times as I like?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S Clearly, when I've gotten through Level 2, I'll be purchasing studying materials for AQ2016 :)

Comments

• AminoAlexAminoAlex Registered, Tutor Posts: 17
    edited November 2016
    Hi Jdan95,

Firstly, sorry to hear that you were in hospital for such a long period of time. I hope you are on the mend and can now continue your studies.

There are some significant changes in the AQ2016 syllabus in comparison to the AQ2013 syllabus. Good to see that you are aware of the ESD/PPD changes as this question could have caught you out. There are some other changes (e.g. three column cash book as been changed to two column cash book) with the introduction of discount allowed/received day books.

I found some changes when my learners sat the mock last week. They seem to be quite big on asking questions about invoices/credit notes this year, including the layout of them and if they are correct/incorrect or missing. Knowledge of how to c/d b/d seems to come up more this year too. Personally, I think the exam for AQ2016 seems easier than AQ2013 but that's just my opinion!

If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you the AQ2013/AQ2016 standard changes which provides a breakdown of each unit at level 2 and the content changes. I've found it really useful particularly in my mixed groups!

Hope that helps.
    Jdan95
  • Jdan95Jdan95 Registered Posts: 20
    Thanks AminoAlex - PM'd you!
  • CVPCVP Registered Posts: 2
    Hi AminoAlex and Jdan95

Hope your studies are now going well AminoAlex!

I am in a similar situation where I have the notes from AQ2013 but will have to sit the AQ2016 examinations. Would you recommend the old notes still or to buy the new notes? Also, are you able to recommend where I can get the standard changes from? I have tried to compare the two by looking at the syllabuses but have been unable to find enough detail to decide whether it is really worth buying the new material. I am worried that I will go into the exams not having covered everything.

Thank you

Charlotte
    Jdan95
    > @CVP said:
    > Hi AminoAlex and Jdan95
    >
    > Hope your studies are now going well AminoAlex!
    >
    > I am in a similar situation where I have the notes from AQ2013 but will have to sit the AQ2016 examinations. Would you recommend the old notes still or to buy the new notes? Also, are you able to recommend where I can get the standard changes from? I have tried to compare the two by looking at the syllabuses but have been unable to find enough detail to decide whether it is really worth buying the new material. I am worried that I will go into the exams not having covered everything.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    >
    > Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,

AminoAlex sent me a document outlining the differences for all levels. If you PM me your email I can send this over to you?

I've kept the old notes for aq2013 and just researched any additional info for each module. I've also found if you log on to myaat the new additions to each unit are in the study support section.

The only area i've really seen a real difference is in the computerised accounting unit. The addition for aq2016 is the high/low method and overhead absorption rate - these were easy to find online.

James
  • CVPCVP Registered Posts: 2
    Thank you very much James - much appreciated!
  • shefflas88shefflas88 Registered Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, so glad someone else has posted about this. I bought the full level 2,3 &4 AAT books from eBay only to realise I hadn't registered in time to sit the exams. Hopefully I'm
    ok to pm one of you to get a copy of the changes?

Thanks in advance
  • shefflas88shefflas88 Registered Posts: 4
    Not sure why but I can't seem to pm any of you. Can one of you please pm me so I can reply thanks

Not sure why but I can't seem to pm any of you. Can one of you please pm me so I can reply thanks

PM'd you!

• rmrg52rmrg52 Registered Posts: 1
    Hi so sorry but is it okay if one of you pm's me a copy of the changes? I bought the aq2013 books on ebay without realising they were the old books.
    Thanks in advance!
  • AminoAlexAminoAlex Registered, Tutor Posts: 17
    rmrg52 said:

Hi so sorry but is it okay if one of you pm's me a copy of the changes? I bought the aq2013 books on ebay without realising they were the old books.
    Thanks in advance!

I've PM'd you!
  • MSD123MSD123 Registered Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I am just starting my level 2 and have found some AQ2013 books online and was hoping could somebody pm a copy of the changes as well.

Also the only other thing that is confusing me is that how would I complete the computer based projects as I would not be joining an institute or training provider to study (can't afford it at the moment).

Finally, would it be unrealistic for me to think that I can complete Level 2 in 6 to 8 weeks? (have studied finance at HND level previously and also am confident in my ability)

I am to dedicate a minimum of 15 hours per week and consider myself to be a fairly fast learner.

Many Thanks
    Hi MSD123,

I'd say yes 6-8 weeks would be unrealistic doing 15 hours per week. I did roughly 25 hours a week and it took me 3 months. Remember there are also times where the next available exam slot could be in 2 or 3 weeks time.

The computer based projects you could do. You would need a copy of sage instant accounts or sage one or a similar accounting package for the UACS exam. If you buy a 2013 or 2016 book for this module it will give you projects you could do on the package to help you prepare for the exam.

PM me your email and i'll send over the changes :)

James
  • jessicawalrondjessicawalrond Registered Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this thread as I am in the same boat. Would anyone be able to send me across the changes too please?

Jess
    Hi Jess,

Would you like to PM me your email address and I'll get you a copy sent over?

James