Home AAT Global AAT Global member discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Wanting to start self-employed business to provide self assessment completion etc


I worked in the tax office for over 5 years and have a sound understanding of self assessment and general PAYE enquiries. I have just started an AAT Level 2 Course to increase my knowledge. I am wanting to offer a service to friends and the general public to complete their self assessment tax returns, claim for expenses etc. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some general guidance on this so as to not break the law?

I have managed to find a service that will provide me with a business address. I have been self employed previously but in a different line of work.

Thanks :)


  • JohnB22JohnB22 Registered Posts: 2
  • burgburg Experienced Mentor GloucesterModerator, FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,441

    The AAT have information on starting a practice but this info may only be open to full members as students cannot mention AAT at all if practicing and should only act within their areas of competence.

    Your main areas to stay legal be safe are register with HMRC as your supervisory body for Money Laundering Regulations, register as an agent with HMRC and sort professional indemnity insurance. If you browse the member in practice section of these forums you will see lots of threads about starting your own practice with plenty of guidance as to the steps to take. I'm taking the lazy option as there is lots to list and no point in repeating things again.

    Good luck.

Sign In or Register to comment.