Favourite Sweets

118 11kate
118 11kate Registered Posts: 115 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I work in an old fashioned town in Shropshire where all the shops are closing due to the larger and cheaper retail park but this week an old fashioned sweet shop has opened it doors, so lunch time today I felt like I was five again :lol: in side everything you can think of:001_tt1:.

I came out with Tom Thumb Drops WOW what a blast from the past.

Can anyone think of sweets they loved as a kid but no longer see in shops.

Happy drooling.:tongue_smilie:
Β«1

Comments

• Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Coltsfoot Sticks. Mmmmmm. Uncle Joes. Yum. Arrow Bars, fruit salad flavour. Ahhhhh.

I don't remember Tom Thumb Drops? How old are these?

Did you ever go into a sweetshop and ask for something that doesn't exist ? No? Just me then?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Wham bars, Highland toffee and pineapple chunks mmmmm wow kid factor now lol :001_tt2:
  • A-Vic
    O and kate fab idea for a thread - sweets :001_smile:
  • 118 11kate
    Now im feeling old im 30 and Tom Thumb Drops are like sherbet pips but without the sherbet or mini pear drops that dont taste like pears lol

I dont remember coltsfoot sticks either.

highland toffee wow
  • 118 11kate
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    O and kate fab idea for a thread - sweets :001_smile:

Im supposed to be on a diet lol
  • 118 11kate
    Thats that cough candy stuff isnt it? Licorice sticks with cream soda dip - wow i was a spoilt kid lol

Ohhh is that what they are called, they had them in the shop.

My 6 year old nephew was with me and said oh wow id really love to go in there and so being the most horrid auntie I teased him for ten minutes before taking him in. :001_tt2:
  • A-Vic
    Thats that cough candy stuff isnt it? Licorice sticks with cream soda dip - wow i was a spoilt kid lol
  • A-Vic
    Laughs diets - its Friday and i work in a town centre to may temptations between greggs and mac donaulds there to many i dont do diets anymore lol
  • A-Vic
    Awwww how crule but funny :lol:
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Spangles, opal fruits, sherbert dips (The yellow tubes with a stick of licorice in, I think that is what you are talking about:001_smile:)

And those lovely yellow shebert chrystals that they used to sell lose from the jar by the 1/4 in a little paper bag that you stuck your finger in and licked until your finger was yellow and the paper was all soggy.... and rainbow sherbert...

"GOB STOPPERS" the ones with the anaseed ball in the middle

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think that it all changed with the problems with tartrazene a E numbers.

PS my dentist bill has been huge over the years:laugh:

Poodle
  • Cullen
    You can buy a bag of "Sweetshop Favourites" from Sainsbury's. Pinapple cubes, Pear Drops Cola sweets the lot. All in one bag. How good is that!
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    How about Spanish Main sweet tobacco? haven't seen it since last century, around the 60's!
    Does that give my age away....LOL
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Licorice bootlaces - especially the strawberry ones, fruit salad chews (4 for a penny), winter mixture, victory v's, anything with sherbet (and don't you think there's something masochistic about sherbet?), sweet cigarettes (koff koff) and Texan Bars (not so much for the rather uninteresting sweet as for the advert that got playgrounds throughout the land echoing to the sound of children drawling "Hold on there Bald Eagle" ).

Umm... I remember that sweet tobacco, coconut flavoured as I recall...I grow old, I grow old...
  • A-Vic
    Am home and thanks to kate think my dentist will be earning a fortune lol - big bag of sweets to help while i spend a weekend hitting the books lol.

Popping candy! I havnt seen that stuff for years!:tongue_smilie:did they used to say if you ate that while drinking pop your belly would explode:lol: and mojo's two for a penny (now showing my age - back in the good old days of the half penny)
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hey Guys,

Check out www.aquarterof.co.uk

It has all our old favourites.

MMMMmmmmmm Yummy yummy in my tummy.

Speegs
  • 118 11kate
    Am home and thanks to kate think my dentist will be earning a fortune lol - big bag of sweets to help while i spend a weekend hitting the books lol.

LOL! My tutor has commented on the fact that she can tell my stress levels whilst studying by counting how many sweets I eat per lesson and this probably explains why I hate dentists.
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Pacers, which noboby seems to remember except me and my sister, and we didn't imagine them, Herbal Tablets sold loose from a jar, aniseed balls, kola cubes, sour fish at 3p each, imps the smallest most powerful sweets ever! If you could suck more than one at a time you were "Well Hard"

:001_tt2:
  • Poodle
    Comming from a large family my Mum ued to shop at a wholesalers for certain items of food. Sometimes we would get a whole box of fruit salads and my siblings and I would challenge each other as to how many we could get into our mouths at once:laugh:
  • A-Vic
    but theres nowt like munching on a bag to settal the head and rot ya teeth lol
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Yes I am old enough to remember Tom Thumb Drops.

What about the Aztec Chocolate Bar. You will have to be a certain age to remeber this.
    It was made by Cadbury.
  • CJC
    Sadly, I am of that certain age. In fact, this whole thread is making me feel old, and to pile on the agony I can't even eat bloody sweets anymore.

:crying:
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I remember fruit salads and black jacks, 4 for a penny(old penny, that is) and the mars bar was 6 old pence(2.5new pence). I now feel older than CJC!
    Those were the days when 20 Embassy cost 5/2d or 26p in new money!
  • Cullen
    My brother and me used to get 6pence on a Saturday (after confessions, this made us very religious...) and we always got a mars bar and a penny coltsfoot stick.

I can confirm the fivepenny mars bar.
  • 118 11kate
    lessci wrote: Β»
    Pacers, which noboby seems to remember except me and my sister, and we didn't imagine them :001_tt2:

Your not the only ones who remembers Pacers because my sister also remembers them, but she is ten years older than me :001_tt2:

I should go into the shop with your list of sweets just to see if they have them........:001_unsure: oh cant cos im starting weight watchers on Thursday :thumbdown:
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi

I used to get 20p pocket money (when decimals came in - think I got the thrupence before).

I bought a weeks work of sweets (lijke the ones being discussed) for 5p - and a hard back Enid Blyton book for 15p.
    (I loved the Magic Faraway Tree!!)

Nice to remember eh?

Yas
  • Poodle
    Yazi wrote: Β»

when decimals came in

I remember decimalisation and that tune on the telly

"Decimalisation decimalise."

I was spoit and got 6d a night:001_smile:

Poodle
  • CJC
    Just think of how much fun the AAT course would be if we we still using LSD - that's libra, solidus, denarius and not Lysergic Acid Diethylamide btw. Though come to think of it there were parts of PEV that would have made more sense on acid.
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Your not the only ones who remembers Pacers because my sister also remembers them, but she is ten years older than me :001_tt2:

You've just made me feel ancient, thanks
    :001_smile:
  • JayneHogan
    JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor 🐘
    Does anybody remember those Goody Bags you used to be able to get for a few pence? Ususally a mixture of half penny and penny sweets plus one "surprise" treat.

Also.........Kinder Surprise even though it is not old fashioned I used to love making the toys.

Woolworths still sell Liquorice Allsorts in their basics range. Some things never change............
  • Poodle
    speegs wrote: Β»

Just had to place an order:blushing:

Poodle
Privacy Policy