TaxCalc Pro

deanshepherd
deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Does anybody currently use this software in their practice?

I would be interested in your thoughts..

I have had my PTP renewal come through and it is more than twice the price of TaxCalc so I am considering a switch.

Comments

• whiterose
    whiterose Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    I used Tax Calc working in a practice and doing upwards of 60 SA Rtns of various types and have stuck with it on setting up on my own - cannot fault it. Particularly like the schedules that are 'behind' the data in the rtns - and it displays last year's figures too.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    whiterose wrote: »
    I used Tax Calc working in a practice and doing upwards of 60 SA Rtns of various types and have stuck with it on setting up on my own - cannot fault it. Particularly like the schedules that are 'behind' the data in the rtns - and it displays last year's figures too.

Agreed!

Dean, I take it IRIS getting their claws in? I thought they promised customers they weren't going to do that! :001_rolleyes:

Regards

Dean
  • deanshepherd
    Thanks for the comments - are there any drawbacks you can think of, or any ways in which you think it could be improved?

Everyone seems so positive. There must be some minor points?!

PTP/Iris have been a bit sneaky. I signed up for a 3 year price freeze but certain items that were optional are now integrated and they are trying to charge me for the integrated option that I never signed up to.
  • Dean
    There must be some minor points?!

If i'm clutching at staws; they change the software slightly each year and over the past 3 years it has improved two fold! However, some features that you like might get lost. They do seem to re-appear one year later though!

All in all we have never had any problems with it. We just use the SA/Trust package and file all CT returns using the Revenue's online software.

Regards

Dean
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    I was very impressed with Tax Calc. As a small business I found it to be excellent value for money. However, now I'm getting more clients I am looking at other options.
    PTP are very keen to get my business and have suggested that although they don't give discounts they would be prepared to do a deal in the 1st year.
    Tax Calc is user friendly and it would have to be a very good deal from PTP to sway me.
  • deanshepherd
    Shaxxa

Can I ask why you are looking at other options?

I.e. what is it that TaxCalc doesn't do that you would like it to? Or that PTP does that TaxCalc does not?
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

Does anyone else apart from me use the Sage Accountants suite?

Any reasons why not?

My 3 year deal comes up this year and perhaps I should look at something else.

Poodle

PS You all work from home how do you cope with the client use of the loo issue?
  • deanshepherd
    Last firm I worked for used Sage Tax Suite. It was awful. Many options didn't work - partnership tax was a mess from what I remember. It allowed you to do things that are not allowable such as setting rental losses against other income. It may have improved since then but I doubt it!

Not sure what your final 'issue' is? Not enough toilet roll?!
  • shaxxa
    shaxxa Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Dean,
    My reasons are:
    My clients are mainly sole traders and a couple of partnerships. I am also taking on a couple of Ltd Co's so I am looking for software that will do it all. BUT do not want to take out licenses for Partnerships & Ltd Co's when I have so few at the moment.
    However, Tax Calc do a smaller package with a couple of partnership licenses that come with it but ideally I would like Ltd Co's as well but am not in the market at the moment to spend £375 + vat.
    Still a good deal I know but needs must!:001_smile:

Sharon

P.s I don't think either does anything different from each other, at the end of the day the end result is the same.
  • Poodle
    It allowed you to do things that are not allowable such as setting rental losses against other income.

still does
  • red_devil
    red_devil Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Does anyone else out there use Digita? I think it is an excellent product, although you do have to but a separate product for Corporation Tax returns.
  • deanshepherd
    I tested out Digita corporation tax prior to going for PTP and found it to be excellent. Couldn't fault it.

I never tried out the personal tax but I'm sure it would have been to the same standard.

Unfortunately, the cost was extremely prohibitive. I seem to remember a requirement to pay a huge licence fee in the first year with smaller upgrade fees each year thereafter.

Perhaps Red_Devil can confirm the cost?
  • red_devil
    Digita costs:

Personal Tax £620 (150 clients) / £413 (100 clients)
    Corporate Tax £517 (150 clients) / £413 (100 clients)

A bit pricing I know, but if you charge decent fees then it is affordable!
  • Dean
    Red_devil, why not charge decent fees, buy taxcalc and make a healthier profit?

Damn, I should have been a management accountant!

Regards

Dean
  • deanshepherd
    Red_Devil, thanks for the info.

I understand their is an additional 'one-off' licence fee payable in the first year. How much did you pay for that?
  • red_devil
    One-off fees for Digita:

Personal - £492
    Corporate - £347
  • red_devil
    Dean wrote: »
    Red_devil, why not charge decent fees, buy taxcalc and make a healthier profit?

Damn, I should have been a management accountant!

Regards

Dean

It's actual very simple Dean; I prefer to use Digita as I think it is a better product than Taxcalc. I have only used a demo-version of Taxcalc but didn't like anything about it!

Thanks for your valued advice on how to increase my profits though - much appreciated!
  • Dean
    red_devil wrote: »
    Thanks for your valued advice on how to increase my profits though - much appreciated!

Glad to be of assistance! :001_smile:

My consultancy fee is £125 per hour - you should find that good value for money! :wink:

Regards

Dean
  • deanshepherd
    red_devil wrote: »
    Digita costs:

Personal Tax £620 (150 clients) / £413 (100 clients)
    Corporate Tax £517 (150 clients) / £413 (100 clients)

A bit pricing I know, but if you charge decent fees then it is affordable!

If anyone is interested Digita have provided me with their actual fees for various client numbers as follows:

Personal Tax £677+VAT (150 clients) / £511+VAT (100 clients)
    Corporate Tax £312+VAT (75 clients) / £268+VAT (50 clients)

License fee payable in the first year is approximately equal to the annual costs listed above.

I do really like the software but to purchase the above is going to cost me £1,558 in the first year compared to £840 for PTP and £375 for TaxCalc.

If only I had as many clients as Red_Devil!
  • Poodle

If only I had as many clients as Red_Devil!

Dean,

Perhaps you are building your practice on quality as opposed to quantity, so don't feel so sorry for yourself:lol::lol::lol:

Poodle
Privacy Policy