Index numbers

Options
phunkyphantom22
phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
From my U7 practice paper - task is to use trend data calculated in previous task and index numbers given to index figures for the next quarter.

I've been given a list of quarters and their index numbers and then 2 blank columns headed 'unindexed trend' and 'indexed trend'.

Presumably, I fill in 'unindexed trend' with the trend data from the previous task.

Then what?! How do I calculated the indexed trend?

And how do I get the next year Q1 figure when my moving average trends only got me to Q2 of the previous year?!

Comments

• phunkyphantom22
    Options
    Can anyone help please? I have my test this week and am struggling with this - much appreciated! :-)
  • phunkyphantom22
    Options
    Please can someone help me - my test is tomorrow morning and I still don't understand this..... thanks! :-)
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    I've quoted you
    From my U7 practice paper - task is to use trend data calculated in previous task and index numbers given to index figures for the next quarter.

I've been given a list of quarters and their index numbers and then 2 blank columns headed 'unindexed trend' and 'indexed trend'.

Presumably, I fill in 'unindexed trend' with the trend data from the previous task.

Then what?! How do I calculated the indexed trend?

And how do I get the next year Q1 figure when my moving average trends only got me to Q2 of the previous year?!

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • phunkyphantom22
    Options
    Hi Sandy,

The task is asking me to calculate the unindexed trend and the indexed trend. I have been give a list of months and their indexes, then I have to used the trend figures calculated in the previous task to calculate the unindexed and indexed trends.

I don't really understand the question and cannot find any examples in my books.

Also, I am meant to give the indexed trend for Q1 07 but when I calculate the trend figures in the previous tasks using 4 point moving averages, the last centred average I got to was Q2 06 - how on earth do I continue it to get to Q1 07?
  • visha
    visha Registered Posts: 218 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Index numbers

Which U7 practice paper are you working from?
  • phunkyphantom22
    Options
    I've not got the front of it to check, sorry!

Any ideas on what to do? Really stuck :-(
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Using a trend and projecting that trend into the future appears on a few exams.

Often you find that the trend rises by the same amount each quarter, and assume this will continue so you add the quarterly increase.

Sometimes you can't see an obvious figure, so text books recommend finding the average rate of growth and using that.

Hopefully that enables you to extrapolate your unindexed trend into the future.

Once you've done that, take each value and multiply it by the index for that quarter to produce an indexed trend.

Without seeing your question I have had to have a bit of a shot in the dark, but the style of question sounds reasonably common and I hope what I've written helps.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • phunkyphantom22
    Options
    I've been revising all night and with that and the help of you guys, I think I've cracked it! Thanks v much for all your help, much appreciated! :-)
Privacy Policy