Pass Rate for ECR

Options
Nizza
Nizza Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
Does anbody have any ideas of the pass rate for ECR.

Comments

• visha
    visha Registered Posts: 218 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You need to prove that you are competent in both section one and two.

To prove competency you need to score 80% or more in both sections, based on 80-20 rule.

I hope this helps
  • kazseera
    kazseera Registered Posts: 87 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    it is known that the overall pass rate for the ecr is higher than the fra
  • George Tse
    George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    visha wrote: »
    You need to prove that you are competent in both section one and two.

To prove competency you need to score 80% or more in both sections, based on 80-20 rule.

I hope this helps

R u sure its 80% in both sections ??
  • kim_1973
    kim_1973 Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi

I was under the impression that the 80/20 rule was only for simulations. i do believe that you have to show competency in both sections but I thought the pass rate was about 60%.

Hope I'm right lol!!!!
  • *hayley-may08*
    *hayley-may08* Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I was also told by my tutor that the simulations only had the 80/20 marking rule, and you have to get 80% before being able to additional work/questions.

I was told the pass rate is about 50/60%

Hope this is right now, or i am well and truly..STUFFED.

Good Luck
    xx
  • immense
    immense Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I was also told by my tutor that the simulations only had the 80/20 marking rule, and you have to get 80% before being able to additional work/questions.

I was told the pass rate is about 50/60%

Hope this is right now, or i am well and truly..STUFFED.

Good Luck
    xx

There is NO set pass rate - not that has ever been proved anyway - as AAT don't release them. Each tutor has their own idea of this - anywhere from 60 - 80%, or pass rates are set AFTER the exams have been taken, depending on how everyone did. If there were awful questions, pass rates are lower! I have certainly never heard any subject having a higher pass rate than another

The only thing that is definitely known is that you have to show competence in both sections!
  • visha
    Options
    Remember AAT is not an academic qualification. It is a professional qualification and is based on and approved as a NVQ qualification.

The principle of NVQ is of competency and not right or wrong.

Therefore I can sit any any AAT exams and get the wrong answers every time BUT if I show HOW I GOT my wrong answer and the method is correct I will be deemed to be COMPETENT.(80/20)

IT IS ABSOLUTELY VITAL TO SHOW ALL YOUR WORKINGS, no matter how insignificant or obvious they may be - eg (10,000 x 25%= 4000)

You need to show your competency in BOTH sections. If you show that you are competent in section One and incompetent in section two (or vice-versa) you will be deemed as incompetent and your final results will tell you which sections were competent.

Normally in NVQs it is the tutor's duty to bring their students to competent level. Therefore when students sit the simulations, they are not set under the exam conditions. They should be set in an office like environment. The tutor can not help the candidate during the simulation. However, after having marked the simulations the tutor can prepare further questions to give the candidate the opportunity to show their competency in their tasks. The further questions does not have to be only once it can be more then once but generally the tutor will give a feedback to the student before the further questions so that the candidate understands how or what is required by that task/question. It's the same for the FINAL AAT ASSESSMENT (not Exams) but unfortunately there is no opportunity here for further questions. - That's the way the AAT is set up - like it or not!

YOU ARE NOT SITTING EXAMS - though the final assessment is under exam conditions.

COMMENTS BY OTHER NVQ ASSESSORS/ IVs WOULD BE APPRICIATED!
  • *hayley-may08*
    *hayley-may08* Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks for your bit about gaining marks by showing methods/workings..! I did do this, and even though I may have carried wrong figures through from my ohead allocation task (I messed up big time on one row!) I know that I showed my workings, and my formulas.. and could still be competent =)

Thanks for the info.
  • Jentel
    Jentel Registered Posts: 60 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Visha - i wish the tutors would have made us more aware of how important it is to show our workings and we would have been able to do this as an automatic thing in the exams and simulations. People assume that just because they work it out on the calculator that they don't have to write it down. Every little tip helps so i know for the FRA tomorrow
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Visha,

If the 'Final Assessment' is not an examination, why does it say on the front page of the 'Assessment', 'Exam Question Paper' and then tell the student that: 'This exam paper is in two sections'? To me, the NVQ is base don practical ability and not down to a memory test - therein lies the rub - were those last papers tests of ability or memory tests?

I had quite a discussion about the NVQ exam vs continuous assessment and have yet to find a valid reason for this method of assessment - if the centres are checked thoroughly, then there is no reason for the students to be assessed on practical ability - by all means through skills tests and case studies but this time constrained exam business is, in my opinion, one step too far. It is not good enough to say 'That's the way the AAT is set up - like it or not' students learn differently and, therefore should be assessed according to their individual abilities and learning styles - within specified parameters of course!
  • visha
    Options
    welshwizard

I agree with you entirely.

One/many of the difficulties that I have found is that I can not assess my students on all the elements of say Unit 5

Element 5.1- Maintaining records relating to capital acquisition and disposal
    Element 5.2 - Collecting and collating information for the presentation of final accounts
    Element 5.3 - Preparing the final accounts of sole traders and partnership.

My students may be employed as purchase ledger clerk - can only assess element 5.2

or as a management accountant's assistant - can only assess him on element 5.3

never mind the Unit 6 and Unit 7 Elements.

NVQ students should never be assessed under simulation conditions, with the exception of AAT because you will hardly ever find students who are financial controllers and management accountants at the same time.

Thus simulations are the best way to test the PC's and K&U of each unit.

Unfortunately I will have to reiterate 'That's the way the AAT is set up - like it or not'

Only AAT can enlighten on this further
Privacy Policy