DFS Today

Comments

• LouLou143
    LouLou143 Registered Posts: 74 Regular contributor ⭐
    Mini-Man wrote: »
    That is exactly what I put except my last 2 figures in the decision process were wrong.

I even mentioned Gearing for good measure as the Loans had more than doubled over 2008, hence why Interest cover was reducing.

I worked out Interest cover (please do not laugh):001_tt2:

Revenue/Finance costs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell was I thinking of ?

I aint laughing.....hehehe!
  • kyle1
    kyle1 Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    think aslong as you put up a good arguement for either way relating to the ratios you will be fine.
  • confused!!
    confused!! Registered Posts: 130 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    OH MY GOD!! feel slightly sick now!
  • LouLou143
    You still said don't invest! So you'll get some credit Mini-Man!!!!!:001_tt2:
  • hunter
    hunter Registered Posts: 54 Regular contributor ⭐
    I got 94058 for consolidated B/S, 34237 for first B/S after journals etc, balanced cashflow with 617 as cash increase over year, said no to invest after all ratios reduced apart from Gross Profit :)
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    confused - you put goods reason why though so i think you will get goods marks for your reasoning behind it.
  • >Michaela<
    >Michaela< Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    I put not to invest neither.

Does anyone know how much % the theory questions account for? as I dont think I answered all of them completely correct, but I did attempt them!
  • mehmet
    mehmet Registered Posts: 113 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I concluded that the main reason why the return on equity and interest and cover deteriorated was because of the increased finance costs due to a loan being taken out of £22,400 (or something like that). However, the balance on the PPE account also increased by the same amount, so it appears that the Company invested in PPE this year, which should lead to increased profitability in the future. Therefore, they should invest.

However, as long as you fully justify why they should or shouldn't invest, you will get full marks(for that part at least).
  • Mini-Man
    Mini-Man Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    LouLou143 wrote: »
    I aint laughing.....hehehe!

What a muppet, I know, hence why I feel so gutted at such a silly mistake, but as my lecturer says (and I will hold him to it now after this!)

The majority of the marks are in the reports after your figures !!!

Albeit I got the original figures wrong, as the Interest coast had shot up considerably I still got the fact it was reducing against (Revenue) in my case as opposed to Operating profit (before Finance Costs and Golden Browns Jolly Fund!)

Mini-Man

My overall report reflects what Sebastianforbes says and if he says it is a piece of cake and is confident of his chances then.............
  • confused!!
    mehmet wrote: »
    I concluded that the main reason why the return on equity and interest and cover deteriorated was because of the increased finance costs due to a loan being taken out of £22,400 (or something like that). However, the balance on the PPE account also increased by the same amount, so it appears that the Company invested in PPE this year, which should lead to increased profitability in the future. Therefore, they should invest.

However, as long as you fully justify why they should or shouldn't invest, you will get full marks(for that part at least).

True, but its a big chunk of section 2 so probably worth alot of marks!
  • Foxy Brown
    Foxy Brown Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    I got the same figure 94058 in top part of my comsolidated but completely bodged up in 2nd part re: equity so that's why it didn't balance.
    Also, i put not to invest cos 3 out of the 4 ratios had deteriorated
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i read somewhere that section 2 is only worth 30%...

it's section 1 that is important !
  • Mini-Man
    hunter wrote: »
    I got 94058 for consolidated B/S, 34237 for first B/S after journals etc, balanced cashflow with 617 as cash increase over year, said no to invest after all ratios reduced apart from Gross Profit :)

My Thoughts exactly on all answers given !!!!:laugh:

Mini-Man
  • LouLou143
    confused!! wrote: »
    OH MY GOD!! feel slightly sick now!

Don't as thats a good arguement and one I did mention but I said that without further investigation, based on the assumption of the ratios calculated, they should not invest at present.
  • karenv
    karenv Registered Posts: 114 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    £94058 sounds right to me too:001_smile:
  • confused!!
    Thanks loulou and Sebastian, I feel a bit better now!

Besides it asked your opinion and that was mine:001_smile:
  • mehmet

Wrong.

You need to pass both Section 1 AND Section 2. They are assessed independently of one another.
  • Mini-Man

I Thought you had to be competent in both sections so I would have thought a more 50/50 split of marks would be right albeit Section 2 is smaller on size and time !
  • karenv
    karenv Registered Posts: 114 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I too put i would like further investigation before recommending investing.
  • LouLou143
    Mini-Man wrote: »
    What a muppet, I know, hence why I feel so gutted at such a silly mistake, but as my lecturer says (and I will hold him to it now after this!)

The majority of the marks are in the reports after your figures !!!

Albeit I got the original figures wrong, as the Interest coast had shot up considerably I still got the fact it was reducing against (Revenue) in my case as opposed to Operating profit (before Finance Costs and Golden Browns Jolly Fund!)

Mini-Man

My overall report reflects what Sebastianforbes says and if he says it is a piece of cake and is confident of his chances then.............

Have faith in yourself...its so easily to get stuck in the moment when everyone puts their answers when infact the answers in your paper are just as relevant as anyone elses.....people intepret differently and aslong as you argue the case, you can;t be marked wrong!
  • sebastianforbes
    mehmet...

i didn't comment on what you had to pass...

merely the value percentage importance of sections 1 and 2 !
  • mehmet
    confused!! wrote: »
    True, but its a big chunk of section 2 so probably worth alot of marks!

I meant just the conclusion part of Task 2.1 (think it's part d). Most of the marks in 2.1 come from explaining your ratios and what they actually mean.
  • mehmet
    mehmet...

i didn't comment on what you had to pass...

merely the value percentage importance of sections 1 and 2 !

But they are equally important as you have to pass both sections to pass the exam, no?
  • confused!!
    Section 1 is a lot bigger than section 2 though, so would have thought you needed a higher % to pass section 1 if you know what i mean
  • kyle1
    kyle1 Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    karenv wrote: »
    I too put i would like further investigation before recommending investing.
    we have always been told whenever you answer the ratio question always state along the lines that your decision is based on the fiqures provided and further analysis should be performed. So thats what i put at the end of the question??
  • sebastianforbes
    if the pass mark is 75% (just a random guess!)...

then 75% of 30% is not as important as 75% of 70%...

just like all other questions, you play the odds, score the important points...

pass the exam !!!
  • LouLou143
    Right I am off....time to get my life back on track and finally finish GTA 4 which I have had to put on hold.....Chat soon everyone.....sure it'll be August when next chat.....with smiley faces!
  • ally29
    ally29 Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    can anyone remember the figures they got for the other statements?

I'm trying but can't for the life of me even remember the approximate figures!

Ally
  • Mini-Man
    LouLou143 wrote: »
    Right I am off....time to get my life back on track and finally finish GTA 4 which I have had to put on hold.....Chat soon everyone.....sure it'll be August when next chat.....with smiley faces!

Have Fun, been good chatting to ya !

I can finally get back to what is important, ummmm yeah cannot thick that far back since starting AAT???:001_tt2:
  • Raet8
    Raet8 Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    I have always been told that section 1 is 70% and section 2 is 30% of your marks however you need at least 75% of each section to pass!!!!!

I said invest but in my conclusions I warned that the values are historic and futher work would be needed blah blah blah!!! But I did 2 ratios wrong so although the first ones were reducing my last two showed them increasing. I said it was down to investing in new assets and we should look at future projects!!!!!!:confused1:
Privacy Policy