Options

Comments

• CathG
    CathG Registered Posts: 145 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Nikca wrote: »
    Did u balanced the adjustments?
    I cr the bank with 1000 and it balanced

Yes my adjustments balanced (can't remember the figure)

To name a few:
    I credited the bank 1000
    Equipment at cost: debit 1000 plus 300 (part ex) credit 1700 (disposal)
    Accumulated Dep: debit 1275 credit 325 (for new equip)
  • angela27
    angela27 Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    gary check out the answers for dec 05 and you will see tha 10000 was credited and debited to teh equip or vehicle account
  • Nikca
    Nikca Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    does someone remember the net value figure for the old equipment? The original cost was 1700 right? and from that we had to calculate the depreciation right or wrong?!!!!
  • Froggity
    Froggity Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    angela27 wrote: »
    check out past exam paper from dec 05 it is the same as the example from today re the 1000

Having a look now, but there's something different in the wording for the dec 05, in here it says it has been credited to the bank, in todays exam it didn't, it said it had been paid from the bank.:001_smile:
  • garry_coombs
    garry_coombs Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    why would the accum depcn go to zero? we werent getting rid of the vehicle which cost 1000 we were getting rid of the vehicle or equip which cost 1700
    Exactly, so the 1000 in the fixed asset account related to another asset not the 1000 paid from bank for the new account

And I said I did the paper this morning and I got it right then
  • ccreaven
    ccreaven Registered Posts: 119 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    did anyone get £1300 for the cost of equipment (acquisition)?
  • diane79
    diane79 Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    check out past exam paper from dec 05 it is the same as the example from today re the 1000

The Dec 05 paper specifically says the credit/debit for the bank payment has been made, todays paper said no entries had been made
  • bigfoot
    bigfoot Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    i think we all passed anyway, its impossible to get 100%. i think i lost a mark or two on the last question

'should the computer be recorded as capital or revenue expenditure?' I couldnt remember the SSAP to do with Fixed Assets and depreciation, i wrote SSAP 15 i think! dont know if theres such a thing
  • angela27
    Options
    the vehicle we were getting rid of cost 1700 the total in that account was 2700 leaving 1000 we were told that the 1000 was paid from the bank account for the balance
  • angela27
    Options
    if the exam paper today said that no entries were made then i have done it incorrectly but as far as i remember we werent told whether any entries had been made or not hey ho as long as we all pass:001_tt2:
  • jenz496
    jenz496 Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    if the exam paper today said that no entries were made then i have done it incorrectly but as far as i remember we werent told whether any entries had been made or not hey ho as long as we all pass:001_tt2:

Angela,
    I too got this wrong.

By removing our fixed asset of 1,700 and the accumulated depreciation we were left with 1,000 and some accumulated depreciation. if the 1,000 already related to the new asset then there should have been no accumulated depreciation left.

I read the question wrong and unfortunately didn't think too much about it.
  • Froggity
    Froggity Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    ccreaven wrote: »
    did anyone get £1300 for the cost of equipment (acquisition)?

I did, hope we're right!:001_smile:
  • garry_coombs
    Options
    the vehicle we were getting rid of cost 1700 the total in that account was 2700 leaving 1000 we were told that the 1000 was paid from the bank account for the balance
    We weren't told it was recorded in the ledger, the accum depn not going to zero would draw the conclusion that there is a second asset which was bought at 1000, so the fixed assets would be 2300.
  • sue_391
    sue_391 Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I balanced througout, trail balance seems to be the same figure as most, :thumbup1:but my p&l and balance sheet seem to be different. I got 17740 for net profit, and 8600 for net assets, hope I don't fail, thought I did really well. Can't think where I've gone wrong unless it's the carraige outward figure. But hey roll on 9 weeks, :confused::confused::confused:
  • angela27
    Options
    we werent told it was recorded in the ledger but we weren told it WASNT recorded in the ledger either
  • jenz496
    Options
    it stated the entries hadn't been posted, also it obviously wasn't due to the accumulated depreciation still being there.
  • ccreaven
    ccreaven Registered Posts: 119 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    bigfoot wrote: »
    I got 1300 for equipment too! and cr bank 1000

Yeah thats what I did:thumbup1:
  • bigfoot
    Options
    I got 1300 for equipment too! and cr bank 1000
  • jenz496
    Options
    by the fact that the accum account didnt clear whilst removing the old asset it PROOVES that there was a second asset

In Dec '05 the accum depn account was cleared, thats the difference! I wrote a note to be on the safe side explaining what I had done, but from my explanations I can see I was correct, along with several others here

garry, you were right, i went about it wrong as well as angela and as i came out of the exam i realised the error as the NBV of the asset was too low, therefore there should have been another £1,000 in the cost.
  • garry_coombs
    Options
    we werent told it was recorded in the ledger but we weren told it WASNT recorded in the ledger either
    by the fact that the accum account didnt clear whilst removing the old asset it PROOVES that there was a second asset

In Dec '05 the accum depn account was cleared, thats the difference! I wrote a note to be on the safe side explaining what I had done, but from my explanations I can see I was correct, along with several others here
  • angela27
    Options
    why does the residual accumlated depreciation have to relate to the other fixed asset of 1000. the accumulated depreciation could be a couple of years depreciation on the vehicle we got rid of and if my theory was correct and we had already credited the bank and debited the vehicle account and this has just happened there would be no accump depcn on this asset as yet
  • jenz496
    Options
    angela, there cannot be a new asset with an existing accumulated depreciation other than the charge for the year.
  • timdunton
    timdunton Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    sue_391 wrote: »
    I balanced througout, trail balance seems to be the same figure as most, :thumbup1:but my p&l and balance sheet seem to be different. I got 17740 for net profit, and 8600 for net assets, hope I don't fail, thought I did really well. Can't think where I've gone wrong unless it's the carraige outward figure. But hey roll on 9 weeks, :confused::confused::confused:

There was a prepayment figure of £500 did you miss this out?? with the prepayment it goes up to £9100 net assets.

regards

Tim
  • angela27
    Options
    forget my last post ive just realised how ridiculous it is lol yeah i got it wrong then never mind i still ended up with the same as you guys with the actual figures im away to watch top gear now lol
  • diane79
    Options
    why does the residual accumlated depreciation have to relate to the other fixed asset of 1000. the accumulated depreciation could be a couple of years depreciation on the vehicle we got rid of and if my theory was correct and we had already credited the bank and debited the vehicle account and this has just happened there would be no accump depcn on this asset as yet

when you dispose of an asset don't you remove all accumulated depreciation with it?
  • garry_coombs
    Options
    It's impossible to have a zero asset account and a positive accum account!

When you take out an asset you take out ALL the accum depn, even if that depn related to another asset which had a current NBV of nil then the amount in the fixed asset account wouldn't be 1000 and so could not relate to the new aquistion of 1300
  • jenz496
    Options
    i messed up with the asset also, do you think it warrants a fail? it was a silly mistake to make.:001_unsure:
  • diane79
    Options
    If this is the only question that's caused any problems I think we should have done ok:thumbup1:
  • bigfoot
    Options
    they dumbed it down this year?
  • garry_coombs
    Options
    I always thought it'd be marked on a curve, so if alot of people found it hard the pass mark would go down, so a similar % of people pass each year.
Privacy Policy