Can I go on to study ACCA if I haven't finished AAT?

Cortez
Cortez Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello

Due to finish my technician level this August when results come out however I still haven't finished my MAS project! Just wondering whether I can still start ACCA if I don't I don't get around to finishing MAS before results?

I think I can but just want to check .. I mean I just need my exam results for the relevant exemptions, right?

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You can start studying but you won't get exemptions for Dec 08 because you won't get it in on time. That means you will have to pay for the first 3 exams whether you take them or not. This means you will only be able to take 1 paper as you are only allowed to take 4 papers at a time.

It really is worth putting a wriggle on and getting Unit 10 done.
  • Cortez
    So by what date do I need to get MAS done in order to get exemptions for Dec 08?
  • Bluewednesday
    Don't forget you need to have it signed off by your tutor and reported to the AAT for it to be on your statement of achievement that ACCA requires for your exemptions.

You need to be registered with ACCA and arrange for AAT to have your results sent directly to them (as I understand - it wasn't that way when I did it). The deadline date for this is 15th August but AAT students get a bit of leeway as their results aren't out until 19/8.

As to the date for exemptions you will need to contact ACCA directly to confirm that as I think AAT students have an extended deadline for exemptions as well which is not listed on their website.

When you start your Unit 10 it will be very quick to finish you will just need to hassle your tutors to ensure that they report it is finished.

If you are planning on taking exams next June there won't be a panic to get it all done - how are you planning on studying ACCA?
  • Cortez
    If I did ACCA it would be a college based thing .. either FTC or BPP (both in Bristol).

I have started unit 10 and nearly finished it. Got my conclusion to do and finish my swot analysis (yes I know I should have done that first!) plus whatever my tutor says I need to add/change. I just find it really boring and I'm so un-motivated when it comes to report writing!! :thumbdown:

Thinking of delaying ACCA for 6 months or so now anyway. Couple of staff departures announced today and so my future at my current firm isn't certain.
  • Bluewednesday
    Oh - well good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

If you need any other help feel free to pm me or you can often catch me on www.accountancystudents.co.uk

Annette
  • DaveP
    DaveP Registered Posts: 79 Regular contributor ⭐
    Slightly different but..

I started ACA training before completing AAT. This was because (back when I was studying) you could only sit the final ACA paper in the 3rd year of your training contract but AAT exemptions meant I only needed to do 2 years of exams. Therefore, if I did not start my ACA training contract until I had completed AAT then I would have either had a year in limbo or would have had to split my final exams over two sittings.

It wasn't a problem and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for ACCA either if you wanted to squeeze into an earlier exam sitting.

(Note: This is going back about 10 years now so things may have changed!)
  • Bluewednesday
    Believe me ACCA aren't that flexible!

The trouble is the exemptions you get are from the first 3 papers which form the first module and you have to sit the modules in order. Check with ACCA connect to be absolutely sure but I believe you would have to pay for them and not sit them in order to sit just one fundamentals paper.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

If you decide to enter for ACCA papers F1, F2, F3 and F4 but only sit F4, you may wish to check ACCA's rules on the granting of exemptions for papers which you enter but subsequently dont sit. If you AAT certificate is dated prior to you entering but not sitting the exam, ACCA may be unwilling to then grant the exemption since they will see the aborted eam attempt as the most upto date assessment of your knowledge.

I'm not sure what ACCA's rules are on this, CIMA have a rule whereby if you dont take an exemption but then take the exam but do not pass you are unable to then reclaim the exemption based on an earlier qualification.

Neil
  • Cortez
    Oh - well good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

If you need any other help feel free to pm me or you can often catch me on www.accountancystudents.co.uk

Annette

hmm what I said might have been a bit misleading. I meant a couple of people who I get on with have handed in their notice and I'm not sure I'll enjoy it as much without them. Not that the firm is making two people redundant if that's how you read it!

Anyway, my MAS is done! I submitted what I had done already a week or two ago and then someone from my college phoned me on the 29th of July to say my first draft was really good and that I hardly had to add anything. Whipped up a quick conclusion plus a few changes and she said it was fine :thumbup1:

Anyway, one of the partners called me in for a chat after these two people said they were leaving to see what I was planning on doing and I am in fact going to start my ACCA right away. Guess there's not much point delaying it because if I want to leave I still can and carry on my training at another company.

Not entirely sure how to go about starting it though. would it be a good idea to register with the ACCA first here? And then do I have to pick a college and register with them? Think I'll speak to someone whos done it before tomorrow but I'm a bit lost! With AAT it was all done for me :laugh:
  • Bluewednesday
    Yes you do need to register with ACCA by 15th August and then contact a tuition provider (does your firm use a specific provider)?

Glad you got Unit 10 done, I told you it wasn't so bad;-)
  • Cortez
    Yeah I think we have a choice between BPP and FTC. Will see who the others used :001_smile:

Thanks for your help.
  • Bluewednesday
    I used BPP all through ACCA and I found them really good, whereabouts are you?
  • Cortez
    I'm in Devon but will have to go to college in Bristol.
Privacy Policy