Food-VAT

pinoyLiz
pinoyLiz Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor ⭐
Please help me what kinds of food that can be charge with VAT? For example your business is a Sandwich bar. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
L

Comments

• DaveP
    DaveP Registered Posts: 79 Regular contributor ⭐
    You're going to have to do your own homework on this one by going through the legislation for each classification of food.

Most of the food sold by a sandwich bar is likely to be VATable.

Watch out for the Jaffa cakes!!
  • pinoyLiz
    hI DAVE,

yes ive done my homework...lots of food to think about lol

instead of concentrating of knowing the VAT........I was dribbling with the thought of the food!! (well some of them) lol:laugh::tongue_smilie:

Thanks!!
    L:001_tt2:
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
  • pinoyLiz
    Hi Poodle,

Thank you. Do you think I can still claim VAT from the invoices that was not included on the first filing? Some invoices were misplaced and we would like to included this on the next return.Is this possible?
    Another one, can you claim VAT on purchases that has no VAT invoices but till rolls? I will just calculate VAT myself? Many thanks,

LB
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Any invoices that were not claimed on the first return can be included on a latter return, as long as the net VAT difference is less than - I say hesitantly £10K - the rules changed a couple of months ago, and I am not 100% certain of the new limits - they used to be £2K.

In the absence of a proper VAT invoice, a till receipt is fine so long as it shows the VAT number of the supplier - if there isn't one, then it is unlikely that they are VAT registered.

Hope this helps - and tread carefully.

Claudia
  • pinoyLiz
    HI claudialowe,

Thank you for the help. Is this same with eBay purchases as well?
    YOu're a star! thanks

Regards,
    LB
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Most people selling things on ebay are not VAT registered - but no harm in asking. As for ebay invoices themselves, they are registered in Luxembourg(?) - so you need to give them your VAT number and then they will zero rate them for you.

Claudia
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I may stand correcting but in the last practice I worked in we were told to VAT all hot food and non-vat all cold food. So a cold sausage roll was non-vatable but if it was heated then it was vatable. A bacon butty(cob) was vatable but a ham salad wasn't.
    This seemed to be acceptable to the VAT inspector when they carried out a vat inspection.
  • PaulPSB
    PaulPSB Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
    I may stand correcting but in the last practice I worked in we were told to VAT all hot food and non-vat all cold food. So a cold sausage roll was non-vatable but if it was heated then it was vatable. A bacon butty(cob) was vatable but a ham salad wasn't.
    This seemed to be acceptable to the VAT inspector when they carried out a vat inspection.

In principal that works - it gets a bit more complex if food is sold "in the course of catering". For example a Deli sells pre-packed or made while you wait sandwiches over the counter. Hot bacon butties are vatable, cold ham salad is not exactly as you say but if the Deli also makes up plates of cold sandwiches, salad, quiche etc which are provided to a local business for working lunch meetings those sales are vatable. Would also apply to wedding and party buffets etc. Subject to normal VAT thresholds of course.

Hope that helps

Paul
Privacy Policy