AAT to CIPFA

Options
troy
troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Is anyone able to help me with this question? I have already emailed CIPFA and my college lecturers but i have not had a response.
I was lucky enough to get a job in the finance department with the NHS 10 months ago, so after AAT would like to go on to do CIPFA, but which options should i take? I have been told that certain options will give you more exemptions than others, but that is where the advice stops as they were not sure which options they were. Does any one on here know?
Good luck to all who are waiting for AAT results, it is not long now! :thumbup:

Comments

• Owainap
    Owainap Registered Posts: 23 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Sorry, I'm going onto ACCA, but CIPFA website might help you, or alternatively a CIPFA tuition provider

All the best
  • troy
    Options
    Thank you Owainap for your reply, I did try the CIPFA website and it tells you about exemptions but it also just teased me with the 'certain AAT options with give you more exemptions'.....why do they do that? No one can surely know which options they are???!!!!:huh:
  • Owainap
    Options
    At a guess, I would imagine that cash management and auditing would be better from a public finance point of view, but as I say - I'm strictly an ACCA kinda guy!
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
  • 80sGuitarSolo
    80sGuitarSolo Registered Posts: 21 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Hi Troy,

I just about to finish AAT (hopefully) and go on to CIPFA...I rang them to confirm the exemptions. As you can see from the link above, AAT grants you exemption from 2 of the 4 Certificate stage modules (Financial Accounting and Management Accounting) and also from the Taxation module of the Diploma stage if you do both PTC and BTC as AAT options.
  • Owainap
    Options
    Looks like I was completely wrong with my guess then! Sorry :001_unsure:
  • troy
    Options
    No problem Owinap, i appreciate the fact you tried to help.
    Hello 80sGuitarSolo, it is nice to comunicate with a fellow CIPFA student, i do not feel so quite alone.
    What sort of work do you do? Are you about to start Technician level?
  • 80sGuitarSolo
    Options
    Hi Troy,

No just waiting on my technician results; hopefully be OK to sit some CIPFA papers in December.

I've worked for a local authority for the last 3 years, but I have a new job with the NHS which I start in just over a months time.

If you are about to commence your technician year, bear in mind that there are variants to the standard DFS paper - one of which is DFSH - Drafting Financial Statements in the NHS. I sat DFSL, which is DFS for Local Authorities and the standard format were far more familiar to me from my work; worth bearing in mind, DFSH is likely to be more familiar to you than the standard paper. Downside is that there is no tuition, (and no textbooks, only the AAT Guide!)
  • troy
    Options
    OK, that is a lot to take on.So i may leave you a PM at some point in the near future if that is alright with you? Like at what point do i ask for the paper? Is it just at the exam or earlier when i am studying for that paper?
    What position have you landed in the NHS? Are you looking forward to it?
    I have just applied for a Band 4 position in Management accounts, still with the NHS.
  • 80sGuitarSolo
    Options
    Hi troy,

I'll PM you now.
Privacy Policy