NVQ funding

garry_coombs
garry_coombs Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi

I am about to start Technician Level this year, for the past two years of the course I have been on a modern apprenticeship funded by the government, however this year I have spoken to some people at my college who are telling me that I wont be able to do it as an apprenticeship as I have done in previous years because it is Technician Level.

The people I have been speaking to are not the usual people I speak to (like my teachers or the person who set up the apprenticeship last year as it is hard to track them down due to summer holidays) which is making me wonder if they are right as I haven't been informed of this until now.

Is there anyone here who did Technician Level funded via the government? I thought all levels would be free as long as I did them before I was 24.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• visha
    visha Registered Posts: 218 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    How Do I Know if I'm Eligible of The Apprenticeship Scheme?

If you can say YES to all of the following you can access Government Funding:

1-You are 16 or above
    2-You are in relevant employment and have a national insurance number
    3-You are not a Graduate
    4-You are not currently accessing funding through another provider (this can be discussed on an individual basis if it applies to you).
    5-Your employer is willing to participate

see the following webpage

http://www.kaplanfinancial.co.uk/default.aspx?tabid=144

If you can answer yes to all the above quesions then your college should be able to offer you the Apprenticeship Scheme.

If Kapaln can offer you Apprenticeship Scheme, so can your college.
  • garry_coombs
    Thank you, I shall take this info to the college when I go on thursday for the open evening, I think its just bad information, but shall try and see more knowledgeable people.

Thanks for the help
  • anastasia
    anastasia Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Does anyone know can I get funding for NVQ if I have only 2 Units left or does it have to be a whole level?
    Thank you.
  • kenny
    kenny Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    I to have been told that I will have to pay for Technician and no longer be a modern apprentice something to do with it being NVQ4 I've been told
  • PEEmery2000
    PEEmery2000 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    it is correct - Level 4 does not fall under the MA scheme I was in a similar postion 12 months ago - lukily my employer took over the funding of my studies this year just gone
  • leegareththomas
    leegareththomas Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    I have Just completed the technician level (exams pending lol) and was NVQ funded, i was studying with Kaplan in Cardiff, the actual funding they had for me ran out in march but that didnt stop them from teaching me.

From what i can make out, the actual funding is on a 12 month basis and they keep re-applying for funding every 12 months until you have completed the NVQ level 3 then they can no longer re apply. It is usually worked out that they apply for a further 12 month funding just before you have completed the level 3 so you have a further 12 months of funding. Im not sure how it works at different colleges etc but that’s what they did in Kaplan in Cardiff, i was having lessons for technician before i had results for the intermediate exam. The reason that my funding ran out was that i was suppose to study PCR and PEV at the beginning of last year but i was unable to make the lessons, so the begging of last year i only done Auditing and business tax, they were not doing PCR and PEV at the end of last year so i only done DFS, so i had to do PEV and PCR this year. They agreed with me last year when i said i couldn’t make the classes that they would let me do PEV and PVR this year even though the funding ran out in March.

I hope this help, try not to worry, every one on my course was NVQ funded and they all completed.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    My understanding was that NVQ funding was available so people could get the equivalent of an A Level qulification.

NVQ is a uni qualification and you need to fund yourself or ask your employer for help.
  • emsquare1
    emsquare1 Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    i was a modern apprentice for 2 years (straight after leaving school) because I was 18 (so under 19) when i joined technician level the government paid all mine for me.
  • garry_coombs
    Well I've been in today and spoken to people in the know after my work has been ringing in to the college and its all sorted, apparently my college has an agreement to have aat level 4 funded, however only level 4 for aat, all other level 4s dont get funded.

They made the guy I used to deal with redundant, leaving only people who didnt know this little, yet important, fact! Wise move there!

But i think its all sorted now, so i'm happy again
  • Josedinho
    Josedinho Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    I think it depends where in the country you are.
    Does anyone know how you can find out one way or the other?
    I'm studying with Kaplan Nottingham and want to stay with them but they say Technician isn't funded but another college in Nottingham has said that it is.
  • Josedinho
    Just bumping this past the results threads. Need to know now i've passed!
  • Josedinho
    Josedinho wrote: »
    Just bumping this past the results threads. Need to know now i've passed!
Privacy Policy