Open University Cert in Accounting course

Options
Chuckles5477
Chuckles5477 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section but I am trying to find out which course would be most suited to my needs.

I have been looking at the Open University Certificate in Accounting, and was wondering which AAT level is it the equivalent of?

The alternative is to go through each level through my local college, which would not be the most practical method given my full time employment status and young family to look after.

Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• square-peg
    square-peg Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section but I am trying to find out which course would be most suited to my needs.

I have been looking at the Open University Certificate in Accounting, and was wondering which AAT level is it the equivalent of?

Hi Chuckles,
    I started the Open University certificate in accounting, and found it to go through things far too briefly and quickly to get a proper understanding of the topics. Along with literally dozens of other people, I dropped out after a few months, and am now taking my AAT Intermediate instead, which I am finding MUCH more interesting and well paced. I felt that if I had continued with the OU I may well have been able to pass (as the pass rate is only 40%) but that despite that I wouldn't have the proper knowledge and understanding to back up the qualification. Although it is equivalent to AAT technician level, there is no way it gives you (in my opinion) the same knowledge, experience and understanding that the AAT does. I don't regret for a second changing courses, and I've just passed my ECR exam, and am now studying for my next one in December. I study distance learning, just the same as I did with the OU. It might be worth having a look on the OU site at previous B680 students comments, as they will give you some more feedback from other students of the course. Good luck! :thumbup1:
  • Chuckles5477
    Chuckles5477 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply and advice.

The main reason I am looking at this route is perhap a little selfish(faster route towards Technician level - distance/college AAT would be around 3 years). 40% pass rate, does this mean 40% overall would be enough to pass? Seems a little low.

I have briefly looked at Distance learning courses, none of them look very appealing so far and its difficult to tell which are cowboys and which are credible. Would it be possible for you to recommend me a few to have a look at?

Thank you again.
  • square-peg
    Options

The main reason I am looking at this route is perhap a little selfish(faster route towards Technician level - distance/college AAT would be around 3 years). 40% pass rate, does this mean 40% overall would be enough to pass? Seems a little low.

I have briefly looked at Distance learning courses, none of them look very appealing so far and its difficult to tell which are cowboys and which are credible. Would it be possible for you to recommend me a few to have a look at?

Thank you again.

Hi Chuckles,
    The pass mark is low, but if you have a look at their statistics, and compare them with the AAT statistics, you'll start to see what I mean. I was looking last summer to start in October last year, and the figures for that year were only 43% of those starting the course completed it, and of those who did finish it, only a similar percentage (can't remember now - think it was around 50%) passed - bearing in mind you only need 40% to pass. This reflects I feel the problem many of us found, which is the way it only 'dips into' subjects. You also have to be able to devote officially 12-15 hours a week, but in reality it's much much more if you are to keep up. Again, look on OU site for other past student comments regarding this.
    AAT distance learning wise - I think the main ones are BPP, Kaplan and Premier, although there are many others. I personally study with Eastleigh College, which is down south. I don't take my exams there, as I live in Yorkshire (!) but I have my simulations etc marked by them, and tutor support from them. I sit my exams as an external student at BPP.
  • square-peg
    Options

The main reason I am looking at this route is perhap a little selfish(faster route towards Technician level - distance/college AAT would be around 3 years).

Hi again,
    forgot to answer this bit! I know what you mean about the length of time it takes, as I did my AAT Foundation a couple of years ago, and then had to stop as I got a job in a non-accounting role and didn't have the energy to study as well. When I was later in a position to study again, I decided on the OU because I could get funding for distance learning that way (I'm not working), but mainly because I could do it in 1 year instead of the remaining 2 I had left. However, for me it just wasn't worth it. I felt I was going to be qualified but not know enough to do the job properly. I was going to look good on paper, but be no good in practice. Does that make sense? You may feel completely different. I'm sure there are others who have found the course to be ideal. This is just my opinion from my own experience and those of some of my fellow students. That said, there were I'm sure several in my tutor group who saw the course through to the end. I'm pretty sure we didn't all drop out! In the end for me though, it came down to feeling I could do a job well if I got one being more important to me than finishing quickly, and it'll have ended up taking me an extra 6 months or so anyway because of the time and effort I wasted doing a course I never finished!
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

Thank you again.
    I am distance learning with Kaplan - they are alright but I have picked ua few mistakes in their books (by other ocmments I am not the only one). I am also finding them not very quick with marking assessments. Took 2 months for my first one and still waiting for others.
Privacy Policy