Ucas Points

System
System Posts: 103,151 πŸ€– Admin πŸ€–
How many points does a AAT full member gets if he passed technician, became full member and passed under nvq pathway 2003.

Regards
Arjun

Comments

• AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    According to their website, completion of AAT Level 3 (NVQ) nets 160 UCAS points. I guess there is no award for Technician as Level 4 is a degree equivalent.

It might be worth mentioning that a note underneath the table says "points for the AAT Level 3 NVQ in Accounting come into effect for entry to higher education in 2009 onwards"
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I was always told that technician was equivalent to the first year of a degree, not the whole degree.
  • AdamR
    Qualification levels and equivalency
    NVQ Level 2 - equivalent to 5 x GCSE A* to C

NVQ Level 3 - equivalent to 2 x A-Levels A* to C

NVQ Level 4 - equivalent to Degree

NVQ Level 5 - equivalent to Higher Degree

According to newcastle.gov.uk (the first hit in a search of NVQ Equivalents)!

Can't say as I've heard of a qualification that offers a Level 5 though...
  • DaveP
    DaveP Registered Posts: 79 Regular contributor ⭐
    I was always told that technician was equivalent to the first year of a degree, not the whole degree.

Having done both, I would say the first year of a degree is barely the equivalent of a GCSE!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    If you complete ACCA fundamental level and then do the research project you can get a degree, however that is a whole step up from technician so I still believe it's not equivalent to a degree.

I've seen the same google search that you did Adam (so it's official I know) and Peterborough college did the same, I just don't agree with it!!!!
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    AdamR wrote: Β»

Hi

I trained as an NVQ assesor a few years ago and I have tosay that those descriptions seem a bit generous!

It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of the information on the comparison of vocational qualifications to academic ones refers to the LEVEL and NOT QUANTITY. That is to say that an NVQ 4 could be at the same level as degree study, but not involve as much study as a degree. Also, NVQ's (and other vocational qualifications) at the same level as each other can actually involve varying amounts of study. I moved to accounting from a different background and the NVQ2 offered there involved a lot more study than AAT foundation or the NVQ2 I had taken before and it was regarded by some tutors to be closer to a level 3. It's also worth bearing in mind that NVQ levels are based on the level of the work its relates to in proportion to the industry as a whole. Level 2 is aimed at being a basic to general skills level for the industry - but general skills in one industry may be advanced compared to another industry in terms of how hard or complex they are.

The vocational qualification framework changed (last year) and now incorporates 8 levels instead of the old 5 (although NVQ levels are still called 1 to 5) - levels 1 to 3 of the framework remained the same, 4 to 6 are undergraduate/degree level (presumably this ties in with the university levels of study) and 7 and 8 are post grad level. In the new framework NVQ 4 and NVQ 5 can be classed at levels 4 to 6 and 7 to 8 respectively. I've seen level 5 offered in management and I have a feeling I may have seen level 5 offered for some technical medical/healthcare subjects.

Neil
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Originally Posted by AdamR

I have always been led to believe that a NVQ level 4 is the same as a deploma (part degree).

I know in nursing you can take the deploma pathway but the same as AAT you have to continue a further 18 months to complete.
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I may be wrong, but I thought I read that qualifying with the AAT as a technician is equivilant to a Foundation degree?
  • Ratherbefishing
    Ratherbefishing Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Hi.....how can NVQ 4 equate to a degree - never?

Hi All

Forgive me for butting in, but I had the same issues when I studied AAT. I was trying to ascertain what an equivalent qualification was. It was very difficult to get a definitive answer, so I decided to study both AAT Foundation and GCSE Accounts, and A Level Accounts and AAT Intermediate…as far as I was concerned there was no difference (except the workplace evidence) between the two syllabus, so I really do fail to see how the following apply (apologies to Adam R - I’m really not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but I really do disagree with your info)…..

Best regards
  • AdamR
    (apologies to Adam R - I’m really not trying to stir up a hornets nest, but I really do disagree with your info)…..

No worries - I'm only copying and pasting from other websites; I'm sure other sites will say different. Atleast no-one has disputed my answer of 160 points to the original question - yet!:001_tongue:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    DaveP wrote: Β»
    Having done both, I would say the first year of a degree is barely the equivalent of a GCSE!
    Disagree! I remember in my first year of my degree, getting D's for essays that were getting me A's at A Level. Took me a while to work out how to step up a gear.
    But, then, that was back in the 'good old' days (though they aren't good or old enough to have included O Levels!:001_tt2:). Oh, and the subject was English Lit, not accountancy.

Back on topic, at college we were told Technician was the equivalent of first year degree. No idea about UCAS points, I'm afraid, I did my degree before me NVQ.
  • daniel72
    daniel72 Registered Posts: 1
    A nvq level 2 doesn't even =1 GCSE A-C pass in ucas points let alone 5! I passed my nvq level 2 maths with ten days of learning ,how can that be equal to passing 5 GCSEs A-C! Why do I keep seeing this = 5 GCSEs NONSENSE???
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    ..Uh this thread is 8 years old... time to let it go?
    :)
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Oh dear, I thought you were a grown man, not a 5 year old girl! :D
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Meh, I'm not sure about that. But we'll agree to disagree! At least it's a 5-year-old-girl Christmas song! :)
    x
  • BeccaLouJ9
    That's next year! :p I have 137 days to use it it all up!
    x
  • BeccaLouJ9
    137 DAYS!!! :)
  • BeccaLouJ9
    edited August 2016

• BeccaLouJ9
    @mrme89 I'm not sure everyone likes your singing....
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Probably best.
Privacy Policy