BTC... IS it just me or is it everyone with same problem ???

George Tse
George Tse Registered Posts: 241 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hello

Well the problem is, is that I am finding that there a lot of information/rules etc... to remember. This is for Business Tax btw

I am wondering if any one else has the same problem ? If you do ill will appreciate your thoughts on it ....

Kind Regards

Gentle Jesus :thumbup1:

Comments

• Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    It's a while since a did BTC, but I do remember it being another one where you have just got to get your head down and do plenty of work! All I can recommend is taking it bit by bit, do the practice questions and understand one part before you go onto the next. Don't know which books you are using - we used Osbourne, which our tutor thought was very good.

Did you do/are you doing PTC as well?
  • George Tse
    yea i am doing PTC aswell
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    We did PTC first and then BTC. Wouldn't have fancied doing both at the same time, although some colleges teach it that way.

Gather you are doing distance learning from your other posts? If you're having problems with BTC would it be possible to concentrate on personal tax first?

Perhaps you didn't want advice, just fellow studiers thoughts???
  • 118 11kate
    118 11kate Registered Posts: 115 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    The more you practice the more it sinks in to the brain and becomes one of the easier topics.
  • mehmet
    mehmet Registered Posts: 113 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    One thing I find usually helps are "tax tables". I normally use the ones from MacIntyre Hudson. Print a couple out, stick them by your desk, in your workbook, on your notepad; they are rather useful.

If you're sitting in December, which will be based on FA07, use these:
    http://www.macintyrehudson.co.uk/downloads/mh_tax_tables_07-08.pdf

If you're sitting in June, which would be FA08, you might need these:
    http://www.macintyrehudson.co.uk/download/3370/Tax-Card-Sept-2008.pdf

However, check with your tutor as I'm not sure if the exam will incorporate the September 2008 adjustments (another poster may be able to enlighten here).

Another thing you may find helpful is a tax guide/handbook. At work, my boss has a copy of Tolley's Taxwise, which is very useful, if not a little "techy". There are loads out there; I think there have been some reviews on them in the Accounting Technician magazine recently, if not check some out at your library/bookstore.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello

Well the problem is, is that I am finding that there a lot of information/rules etc... to remember. This is for Business Tax btw

I am wondering if any one else has the same problem ? If you do ill will appreciate your thoughts on it ....

Kind Regards

I did find BTC more messy to get through than PTC, which seemed to make more sense to learn. As you slotted each new thing you learnt into the tax computation.

My advice would be to start doing past papers when possible, or at least parts of them. It started making a lot more sense when I did!
  • George Tse
    Jan wrote: ยป
    We did PTC first and then BTC. Wouldn't have fancied doing both at the same time, although some colleges teach it that way.

Gather you are doing distance learning from your other posts? If you're having problems with BTC would it be possible to concentrate on personal tax first?

Perhaps you didn't want advice, just fellow studiers thoughts???

Hello Jan

I am not studying by distance learning I do a part time course at kaplan although I dont work as it is had to find jobs these day which is annoying !!!!! lol

I am sitting BTC and DFS in December and then doing PTC, PEV and PCR in June, I dint make it clear in my reply lol but yea,, im doing both the tax papers but not in the same sitting lol.

but yea hopefully the AAT Technician qualification will make finding a job easier !
  • Jason1312
    Jason1312 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hello

Kind Regards

Hello mate!!

Do you do much Business Tax work at work? I find that helps as you gain experience, as regards, what is allowable, disallowable. It's the capital allowances that I struggle with, but I find that reading the books helps.

Jase
  • George Tse
    Hello

No I dont, I dont work in accounts well, in fact I dont work at all cos finding a job is like impossible rite now ive tried loads of firms and i mean big firms like PKF, Tenon etc but no luck !

It mite just be this credit crunch thing as trainees need their study paying for n stuff.

But n e way back to the question lol ! I am starting to get my head around all of BTC now i have started on the past papers.

Once again thanks for all the replies from you guys

Kind Regards

Gentle Jesus
Privacy Policy