im not going to pass :-(

Options
iainiow
iainiow Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
Hi ya,

just want to vent some worry.

The picture is that i have got FRA and PEV to do in december, i started my revision in late august, and concentrated wholly on FRA as this has always been the subject I struggle most with. When I started my revision, i felt really good about passing, I was flying through past papers and dominating all the questions. Now, here comes the crunch. on the 12th October, my wife gave birth to our first baby. Alas, without getting in to detail, it was a very very bumpy ride, our son was in intensive care for 5 days, I did over 40 hours with no sleep over the first couple of days and since then have been looking after my wife (who had an emergency c-section and obviously cant drive/lift/strain for 6 weeks). I am also trying to help with feeds/changes etc as much as possible and also trying to look after my health as a lot has just fallen on my plate. On top of this, i am working full time and under a lot of pressure with massive changes happening with our business processes.

With all of this, my revision has slipped badly, my mind has been wiped of everything i learned in FRA and I can hardly even remeber what PEV is about. I get no time at home to study as i wake at 6 to feed go to work at 7, work till 5 get home at 5:30 and then have to do baby duties and feed my wife and I!!!!. Baby seems to choose 6-10pm to scream the house down with colic so that is the evening gone. I get no time at work as I previously mentioned as i am directly involved in the changes happening.

I really cant see how on earth I can pass this?! i was so optomistic 6 weeks ago, i really could see a light at the end of the tunnel :mad2:

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Take a deep breath mate, I feel the same as you. I am struggling with FRA and have barely touched ECR and am not confident at all.

Try and do as much as you can, I bring my books to work and read them at dinner time, then do a couple of excercises here and there and try do an exam on a weekend.

Try not to get too stressed, you can only do what you can do. If you are trying your hardest and it sounds like you are, that is all you can do. If you need any help on anything PM me and I will try and help you.
  • lynne03
    lynne03 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I know how your feeling, I had my baby girl in April and sat the Intermediate exams in June I also thought I couldn't remember anything and walked into the exams feeling totally numb, but you'll be surprised how much will come back to you when you read the questions, I know it's hard and your worried but I'm sure you'll do ok, and try infacol for your babies colic worked like a dream for mine:001_smile:
  • iainiow
    iainiow Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    thanks for your replies - i cant believe i put 12th august as the birth date of my son lol - it was actually october, hence it being such a problem now!! i havent sat around since august pondering this lol :001_tongue:

I have just spent a fairly successful lunch hour running back over an FRA and as you said was suprised just how much came back. i think by this stage the income statements and balance sheets are engraned in our minds. I need to set to with the cash flow statement and reconciliation revision and maybe i might get somewhere with FRA.

PEV is still a distant glimer in my mind, but i guess there are a few lunch breaks between now and the exams. forget the xmas shopping.!!!
  • sarahwilson
    Options
    If you did that every lunch time thats 5 hours a week (plus indigestion!!) I do that, its not quality studying time but its all helpful.
  • JoGreen
    JoGreen Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Stressing is not the answer - take from a seasoned stresser!

I am sitting FRA, PTC and PEV in December and have been waking up worrying about the work I need to do and here's what I did to keep me sane and calm.

Go through your notes for FRA and split them into logical study sessions (I've found personally it's 9 - based on 2 hours at a time but if you can do 1 then it's 18). Then sit down and draw up a plan of the total number of days there are remaining before the exam (excluding today 23 including the morning of the exam). Then write down what you plan to study each day - make sure you are looking at the past papers aswell occasionally. You will find that you get through it far quicker than you planned to once you start.

I did this on Friday and I'm already 2 sessions ahead of where I planned to be.

Good Luck :)
  • sarahwilson
    Options
    Good god 23 days I am panicking now LOL!!

Seriously I am thinking of not sitting ECR in December, I aren't confident with it and I'd rather throw everything into FRA and pass it than try and spread myself too thin and fail both.
  • blades
    blades Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Take it one step at a time and I am sure you will be okay. It is not the end of the world if we fail as I have found out. Just keep doing a little bit a work and some at home you could always read it as a bedtime story.:lol:
  • Lizy
    Lizy Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Take all the suggestions on board and look on to the bright side of life. You can tell, it could be the topic you glance at may be the first question on the exam paper. So don't loose hope.
  • jackieshep
    jackieshep Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Try not to panic, and praise yourself when you do get a chance to study, rather than panicking. Every minute you do get a chance to revise will increase your chances of success. Have a piece of paper to hand and write down the minutes you spend studying, even if it is only 10. Then at the end of the week add them up and you will be surprised how much you have managed to fit in.

It may also be useful to put notes up on the cupboards in the kitchen, so that when you are making dinner, cups of tea, or babies bottles you can look at them to remind you. It's hard to feel positive all the time, but you can achieve more being optimistic.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby, it's great to hear of a supportive husband/father, you deserve success, and I'm sure it will work out for you.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Just a bit of support to let you know you are not on your own.

I'm now onto doing ACCA sitting F4, F5 & F6 in december and our daughter was born 6 weeks premature on 8th September. She also spent a week on SCBU and on top of this I tore Cruciate ligaments back in August so could barely walk.

As I'm sure you are aware the family does come first and I am sure your wife is most greatful. From experience she should start to get back to normal now its 6 weeks post c-section.

As you were doing so well before it shouldn't take much to get back into it. See if you can agree if she can let you have 1 night of study a week and you will be flying come exams.

Best of luck and hope it all works out for you.
    Regards,

Burg
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi

Firstly congrates on the birth of your baby :001_smile:

I myself only started studying for FRA in september and trust me like everyone else we feel the same that we are not ready for the exam but i bet once you can fit in an hour a day i bet you will suprize yourself and pass.

good luck with exams and baby :001_smile:
Privacy Policy