Interview helppppppppp

Options
sally salah
sally salah Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
Hi everybody

I really need help cos i have been applying for three years now to get an interview in local accountancy firm finally i got one today for training position but i have'nt got any idea what to expect on the interview and what type of questions, so as to get really ready please help me that would be my dream job.:001_smile:

Comments

• pernickety
    pernickety Registered Posts: 47 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    The questions: It will largely depend, in my opinion, on whether they conduct an informal or formal style of interview. Formal interviews follow a set pattern, as they use a uniform style thought to be following "equal opportunities" and so ask all the candidates the same questions. In that type of interview you will usually have two or three on an interview panel and they all will be writing your answers to the set questions down, (although not at the same time, obviously.) They are looking for their text book answers (to score or tick their boxes)from the candidates and at the same time, hoping that the answers also reflect a little of the persons character and personality. I was never any good at formal interviews, and would not be now, if I had to go through one.

They will throw in questions such as "Can you recall a time when you had to prioritise?", and "Can you give us an example of how you consider yourself a team player?" There will be some questions accounts related too, now doubt, but what they may be who knows? Probably ask you how you would handle being given a bag of receipts, invoices, random pieces of paper, cheque books with some counterfoils filled in and others not, paying in-books with similar information, etc. So, give them what they want to hear, with something like - how you would sort through them sequentially, and put the invoices in alphabetical order and date order etc. The other formal questions, just use common sense and relate to any incident you can think of, or ask friends and family how they have handled formal questions such as may have been asked them.

An informal interview is far easier, and again, in my opinion shows the person interviewing you,(if firstly they put you at ease and ask the right questions), what you have done, what you are capable of, what type of person you are, and whether you will fit in. So be yourself and go for it.

Hope I have helped, dont worry, just do your best, your cant do any more.
  • sally salah
    Options
    Thank you very much that gave a good idea for what i am going to do, and as i understood from their letter.. it is going to be held only by one partner so hopefully it is going to be an informal one. And i will give quick as look to the financial record reference to refresh my ideas.:001_smile: wish me look please.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Sally

Been a person that has performed many informal interviews all i can suggest smile but not to much, keep your answers short but not just one word, and try let your personality shine through show that they need you for the job.

Finally remember there are no bad interviews they are all a learning curve.

Good luck :thumbup1:

Vic
  • sally salah
    Options
    Dear All

Any more ideas and experiences will be really appreciated :thumbup1:
  • sally salah
    Options
    Hi Vic

That really cheered me up.... thanks a lot.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    the old agage of putting them in there underwear and imagine they are no better than you ?

but the interview i had with the one that give me a job.......we got on like a house on fire? my experiance was rubbish and my qualifacations wasnt what he wanted ?

but seems like he liked me for me and not what i had ?

more what i could give the company !!! and think the best thing i found was chill out ?
  • sally salah
    Options
    Hi everybody.................has any body got any tips for my big day tomorrow. any way wish me luck
  • confoosed
    confoosed Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Relax and be yourself. Good luck x
  • chigie
    chigie Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I had a few strange interview questions when I applied for a post in the insolvency department of an accountancy firm once, they asked me the square root of a number (can't remember which one) - without a calculator !! and how to spell "yacht" !!!!
    :laugh:
  • sally salah
    Options
    Hi everybody
    I just finished my interview this morning, it went very smoothly there wasn’t any real hard questions, just reviewed my CV, what did I do, and couple of questions regarding my studies and if there is any need for a day release, I tried to show how reliable, committed, enthusiastic to work independently and as part of a team, BUT there wasn’t any direct question on how to demonstrate any qualities and skills........ SO I don’t know what to expect and whether i did well or not!!!! Just wish me more and more luck. And by the way I tried to look smiley.
Privacy Policy