did anyone receive a successful exam result appeal ?!!

sebastianforbes
sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
i'm just curious to know because i read somewhere, over a year ago, that one professional society thought that it was more economical to spend the money on exam counselling rather than appeal the result of your exam. the likelihood of a reversal is apparently remote ?

of course, the feedback can be very beneficial, but i think that most of us already know our weaknesses... if we don't, then we haven't prepared well enough.

Comments

• novemv
    novemv Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    hey

well they told me tht they will give me the result after 4 weeks, which will be 11 of october
  • sebastianforbes
    any feedback ?
  • 2cool
    2cool Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Yes there has been someone i study with that has had a successful appeal for DFS exam. She got the letter through about a week ago along with the money she spent on the appeal. So it is possible.:001_smile:
  • sebastianforbes
    anyone else ?!!!
  • becs129
    becs129 Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    I got my appeal for BTC June 2008 rejected. I got quite a good letter with feedback but still fail to see how so few mistakes can merit a fail. I got all of 3 things wrong!
  • 2cool
    2cool Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    what exactly did you get wrong Becs just out of a matter of interest
  • NBB
    NBB Registered Posts: 125 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I appealed in Feb 08 for the Dec 07 PEV & PCR exam. My outcome of PCR came back successful and that they had undervalued my paper (which I did think was extremely unsatisfactory of them to say that, I mean how can an examiner "undervalue a paper that are allegedly rigorously marked and checked and subject to stringent monitoring procedures??" but was pleased with my result so thought no more of it)

PEV result stayed the same but I got feedback on the section I failed and I was marked down for minor things on my reports like "although you made several valid comments, You did not provide a header"

In June I took on board the examiner's comments I received back in December and made sure I put all headers for all reports/ memo's/ even at the top of my tables and workings I had put £000's/ kgs/ tonnes/ hours etc, I felt I had done enough to pass giving consideration to 2.2 task but I did attempt the question to my best ability and did not leave bits out, but still managed to fail.

My main regret is that I did not challenge the outcome of my script being undervalued, how many other scripts did that examiner mark and undervalue?? Was any other scripts pulled back which had an unsuccessful outcome to check for the examiners overall competence and consistency??
  • becs129
    1. I didn't time apportion one of my figures in the adjusting profits section.

2. I stupidly added dividends in as a taxable income (during the process up to PCTCT).

3. I taxed at 30% when profits were below 300,000.

The last one is a really stupid error I know. I would have been happy if they'd come back and said that this was such a big error that it caused the whole fail but that wasn't the case. It was literally through not reaching the required percentage that I failed. So the question I asked myself was, how many marks are those few bits of the exam really worth?!
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i did the same mistake and thats the only mistake i did ... and they failed me 4 dat in section 2 ... because that mistake led me to give the marginal releif because the profit is higher then 300.000
  • carla030698
    carla030698 Registered Posts: 112 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I am glad I have read this post as if I fail, I wouldnt even think of chalenging it, i would just beleive them, but reading this it seems worth it!

If you fail do they automatically tell you what parts you failed on?
  • NBB
    I am glad I have read this post as if I fail, I wouldn't even think of challenging it, i would just believe them, but reading this it seems worth it!

If you fail do they automatically tell you what parts you failed on?

No they don't automatically tell you Carla, you have to appeal and if the result stays as unsuccessful then they will give you feedback on what you was marked down for.
  • carla030698
    So even if you dont succeed in getting a pass from the appeal, its still worth it for the feedback! :001_smile:
  • NBB
    So even if you don't succeed in getting a pass from the appeal, its still worth it for the feedback! :001_smile:

Sort of yes, I would only appeal if you honestly think you did well in the exam as I failed again in June but after reading the Chief Assessors reports I knew what I had done wrong so decided not to appeal.

As for the December 07 PEV my feedback was very disappointing to fail for not using headers but instead of putting my energy into re appealing, I thought it would best to put everything I had into June 08 exam but failed and tried again yesterday, just have to wait and see now.
  • carla030698
    Well Good luck! 3rd time lucky! x
  • NBB
    Lol thanks Carla!!!

Goodluck to you too!!! xx
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    NBB wrote: »
    As for the December 07 PEV my feedback was very disappointing to fail for not using headers but instead of putting my energy into re appealing, I thought it would best to put everything I had into June 08 exam but failed and tried again yesterday, just have to wait and see now.

Hi, did you make any other mistakes on the paper, or were you failed for just not providing headers to reports, etc.

I'm worrying now because I did my MAC exam yesterday, I included a header at the top of my report, eg To, From, Date, Subject, etc, but didn't put any headers in the body of the report.

Good luck with your results.
  • becs129
    I would wait until the answer paper becomes available online. That way you can have at look what you should have done and more than likely identify anything blindingly obvious that you did wrong.

If like me, you look at the answer sheet and think - well that's exactly what I did - then you can go ahead and appeal.

In my situation, there were about 3 weeks between the date the answer sheet became available online and the date the appeals had to be in by.

I am glad I appealed because from the feedback I got, I did feel that my £52 (I think that's how much) had really gone to good use with the amount of detail they had looked into it.

However, all it really confirmed for me was how little you had to get wrong for them to fail you! I wish I could have appealed the appeal!
  • gini76
    gini76 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
    appeal

hi

whats the process for appealing?

thanks

gina

ps.. just in case i fail my pcr :mad2:
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    gini76 wrote: »
    hi

whats the process for appealing?

thanks

gina

ps.. just in case i fail my pcr :mad2:

Hi Gina

The instructions on how to appeal are always shown on the botto of the exam results email

In the meantime try not to worry to much as it is a long wait :-)
  • NBB
    Richard wrote: »
    Hi, did you make any other mistakes on the paper, or were you failed for just not providing headers to reports, etc.

I'm worrying now because I did my MAC exam yesterday, I included a header at the top of my report, eg To, From, Date, Subject, etc, but didn't put any headers in the body of the report.

Good luck with your results.

Hi Richard, I was failed just for the headers but you had put them at the top by the sounds of things so I wouldn't worry xx
  • NBB
    becs129 wrote: »
    I would wait until the answer paper becomes available online. That way you can have at look what you should have done and more than likely identify anything blindingly obvious that you did wrong.

If like me, you look at the answer sheet and think - well that's exactly what I did - then you can go ahead and appeal.

In my situation, there were about 3 weeks between the date the answer sheet became available online and the date the appeals had to be in by.

I am glad I appealed because from the feedback I got, I did feel that my £52 (I think that's how much) had really gone to good use with the amount of detail they had looked into it.

However, all it really confirmed for me was how little you had to get wrong for them to fail you! I wish I could have appealed the appeal!

Hi Becs, you could have appealed the appeal you know!!!! xx
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    NBB wrote: »
    Hi Richard, I was failed just for the headers but you had put them at the top by the sounds of things so I wouldn't worry xx

Hi NBB, thanks for replying, seems a bit harsh of them to fail someone for not doing headers. I hope your exams have gone better for you this week.
  • NBB
    I know but the pass rate of all calculations and comments from students must have been really high I am guessing, so they must have had to been really picky to avoid the pass rate from being so high x
  • NBB

Hi Becs, just out of curiosty which exam was it that you appealed, mine only cost £42 the same as what the resit cost?? xx
  • becs129
    I appealed the June 08 BTC exam. It might have been £42 to be honest. I can't really remember!

I know you can appeal the appeal but it costs a hell of a lot more money and was so sick of scrutinizing the paper by then!

I was just happy to give it another bash.

I'm quietly confident after reading the posts on here about certian awkward bits in the paper..... but then again, I walked out of the exam I failed feeling that I'd aced it!
  • NBB
    I'm quietly confident after reading the posts on here about certian awkward bits in the paper..... but then again, I walked out of the exam I failed feeling that I'd aced it!

Becs, exact same feelings xx
Privacy Policy