Home For AAT student members AQ 2013 AAT Level 2 (Level 5 in Scotland)

Exam Results

Comments

• csillaegricsillaegri Just Joined Registered Posts: 1
    I got 241874 in my trial balance and it balanced. Has anyone got something similar?
  • Sarah1910Sarah1910 New Member Registered Posts: 9
    Yeah I got £241??? on one side (can remember the exact figure) and was £87 out on the other side so didn't balance. I vaguely remember someone saying that the don't always balance as thats why its called a 'trial balance' but I was probably wrong.
  • LillyLilly New Member Registered Posts: 13
    I must admit I was really chuffed when my TB balanced but then last night I thought knowing me it wasn`t even meant to balance!!

Saying that however, in all the practice exams I have done the TB`s have always balanced so it would be pretty sneaky to throw in one that didn`t I think, I hope anyway!!!

Lilly
  • LisamLisam New Member Registered Posts: 7
    noname1987 wrote: »
    Yeah i too got something something 784 pretty certain. and it balanced first time which i was very relieved about.

what did people think to the '3 errors that would be prevented from a computerised accounting system' question in section 2? again this was a slightly new & different way of asking something they always cover in most papers. No matter how many past exam papers I seem to do every year they like sticking something new in there to throw you off track - and it works!! (or is it just me?!)

I dont even remember this question....:confused1: I;m now starting to think I missed out a whole section... ie turned 2 pages by mistake :crying:
  • noname1987noname1987 New Member Registered Posts: 7
    Dont think too much (that is the danger of discussing back - can get a bit heavy)

im sure you didn't - there are bits i dont remember either but sure i completed them as i went over the paper a couple of times to check.

It wasn't a big section just a sneaky question snuck in on one page, can't remember the other questions on that page......
  • Vidya_rVidya_r Settling In Nicely Registered, Tutor Posts: 21
    csillaegri wrote: »
    I got 241874 in my trial balance and it balanced. Has anyone got something similar?

:thumbup1: yes I too got 241,874 in my trial balance!... m sure thts right!
    Can any of you guys remember what answer you got for your trial balance? Me and 2 of my friends got it to balance but all with different answers? Will we be heavily penailised the ones who got it wrong?

Hi I got 241,874. .. I was told by our tutor that one doesnt lose out heavily even if the trial balance totals are incorrect as marks are evenly distributed for balancing each account...
  • MeltMelt Settling In Nicely Registered Posts: 23
    I don't remember that question about the computerised accounting system either - eek! Glad it's not just me...!
    I'm talking about section II of the PLB exam - you guys do the IAC????
  • jewels.pjewels.p Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,774
    Yesterdayss Exam

Hi,

I am one of those ones who reread and reread my paper until I changed an answer at the last minute and knew as soon as I handed my paper in I should have left it. It was the question "Is a Journal a Book of Prime Entry?" I had Yes but then changed it to No so now I am really annoyed with myself.:mad2: I too was beginning to panic when a few of you were on about the Computerised Accounting Question! I don't remember that but I am doing the IAC so have calmed down a bit realising that was in the PLB. I totally agree this having to wait for your Results is far too stressful!
  • Vicky79Vicky79 New Member Registered Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if we get our papers back and the chance to find out what we went wrong on, (hopefully not to much).

Can I also ask the people who are saying the trial balance figure 241,874 is that for the IAC paper. I did PLB and got something ending in 399 ?

Too late to wory about it now though, :lol:
    I did PLB and got ***784, as did my colleague who also did PLB.

Did your TB still balance though? it's not a fail anyway - if you still scored 85% or higher it's a pass.

I though I'd got a few wrong on my mock and still passed as competent
    Vicky79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we get our papers back and the chance to find out what we went wrong on, (hopefully not to much).

Can I also ask the people who are saying the trial balance figure 241,874 is that for the IAC paper. I did PLB and got something ending in 399 ?

I got 241,874 n I appeared for the PLB...

yup rightly said too late to worry!.... too long a wait for the result though..

dont know abt getting papers back...
  • Vicky79Vicky79 New Member Registered Posts: 9
    Yep it balanced, I thought, I had put the correct entries into the accounts and it balanced straight away.

The last 10 questions I think I got about 6 of them correct and the others were slight guess work.

This serves me right for coming on here and reading other peoples answers, should have resisted temptation :001_smile:
    we are allowed to make mistakes and still pass.

2 months is very long but on the upshot id prefer my paper to be properly marked by the proper person - however long that took.

heaven help me if i had to resit it!
  • noobaccountantnoobaccountant Just Joined Registered Posts: 3
    guys and girls not being funny, I have done every single PLB past paper and passed them all, this is the first one that had in the main ledger both cash SALES and purchases in, this has never happened before. I know i have made stupid mistakes cause of this and now am fearing a fail, but surely AAT should give us credit, typical we would be the guinea pigs :mad:
  • martin2345ukmartin2345uk Just Joined Registered Posts: 4
    I had trouble with the one where they wanted 3 risks to accounting information that was kept on a bookshelf in reception! I got 2 but could not think of a third!!

Theft
    Alteration by a dodgy employee
    XXXX????

Hate those ones...
    Could it be something to do with confidentiality of accounts especially payroll details .......
  • smokiemistysmokiemisty New Member Registered Posts: 14
    I put>
    theft
    dpa and confidentiality issues
    fire risk as not in a fire proof cabinet
  • smokiemistysmokiemisty New Member Registered Posts: 14
    What did people put for the question - what errors would a computerised accounting system prevent ??
    well I put in these three....
      caculation errors like VAT,balancing of accounts.... One part of a double entry being missed out... balances being taken into wrong columns(debit/credit) in a trial balance.
  • LisamLisam New Member Registered Posts: 7
    Just a quickie - could people write which exam they are referring to when they post here, as I spent the day thinking I had missed out a question when it was on a completely different paper lol

:001_tt2:
  • LilyflowerLilyflower Feels At Home Registered Posts: 54
    Lisam wrote: »
    I got a bit confused on Q1.6 I think it was, as there was a cash sale in the cash book, which I had not seen before in this type of question in the past papers and 2 Payments from creditors... & not enough lines for it all... ie should the payments have been added together for 1 PLCA entry so that you could fit Sales Vat & Bank in... or was the bank entry not required? who knows.....

The cash book IS the bank, and is a T account in its own right. so no, no bank entry was required. As for the Gross amount, I posted it as a whole and not separate Net, then VAT.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    noname1987 wrote: »
    what did people think to the '3 errors that would be prevented from a computerised accounting system' question in section 2?

Yeah, sneaky that one, I put errors in dual entires, calculation errors in opening and closing balances and errors in producing reports such as VAT/profit and loss etc.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I put>
    theft
    dpa and confidentiality issues
    fire risk as not in a fire proof cabinet

Pretty much the same as me, I put

Theft
    Fraud
    Fire

• Mog17Mog17 Feels At Home Registered Posts: 91
    That risks to accounting info question really threw me too!!!! Then I woke up in a cold sweat yesterday morning realising what I should have said!!! I think i put theft, unauthorised employees could easily access information (should have said eg payroll but didnt!), and external visitors could access the information and tell other people or pass on to competitors (should have mentioned customer info on that).

Hoping I said enough to be ok on that one. I managed to convince myself after the exam that I'd failed cos of that one question!!!!
  • electikaelectika New Member Registered Posts: 10
    Vicky79 wrote: »

I asked our tutor about getting our papers back & she said they havent before, as for results 17th Feb by email, unless you opted out, ( as you are auto on email results, well mine is) 18th by for the rest. Apparently the paper goes on line in about a week, but a tutor named Sandra Hood usually gets a blank copy of the exams & puts her suggested answers on the forum. then the suggested answers come out after Christmas (i think).

I did PLB, I was way out, found one mistake, but didnt make much differance to trial balance so after going through it for about an hour balanced it off with suspense acc. We were told to do that because then you have shown there is an error/s somewhere before trial balance, you have then shown competence to balance & keep notes/journals & will not be marked wrong on your calculation. There isnt a % pass rate. It is worked across the board ie how many people took the exam & how many marks people received. then they work out who passes & who fails. I know this doesnt seem fair really, but thats what we have been told. But on the other side we could all get about 40 to 45 % of the questions right & still pass if the majority of entrants got less. & vice versa.
    electika wrote: »
    There isnt a % pass rate. It is worked across the board ie how many people took the exam & how many marks people received. then they work out who passes & who fails. I know this doesnt seem fair really, but thats what we have been told. But on the other side we could all get about 40 to 45 % of the questions right & still pass if the majority of entrants got less. & vice versa.

It is a strange way of deciding who passes and who fails, however pretty much every exam you sit is calculated this way. It is one of the topics behind the ''dumbing down'' of GCSE arguement, that as candidates have progressively gotten lower and lower marks, the exam boards have lowered thier pass rate to keep the amount of kids passing looking good on paper. It also means that if the majority of folks have done poorly, so the % pass is lowered, if you happen to do well on an exam you suddenly get like an A*, when in the past that was a very difficult thing to do. Hence the amount of kids now leaving school with an A* in nearly every subject.

Ongoing debate that is very interesting!

• KashmirKashmir New Member Registered Posts: 8
    Dooes anyone know if you just get whether you've passed or failed or do you actually get to know you're own percentage for instance like on the mocks where you got told X% for section1 and Y% for section 2?
  • sarahfsarahf Just Joined Registered Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if the results are graded i.e A,B,C or just a pass or fail?