Snowed off?

Options
blobbyh
blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Anyone else got a free day at home today?

Marvellous planning. We were warned on Friday that we'd be getting this Russian snow yet not a single road gritter out over the weekend so no buses or taxis. I guess the gritters were credit crunched off, heaven forbid my county & local councillors spend some of their bribe money on public services.

Despite over 150 years of engineering and the fact that you'd have thought trains could run on visibly snow free tracks, it appears 2 inches of the white stuff has the entire railway infrastructure licked.

Whereas northerners can cope admirably with inclement weather, it appears once again that those of us living over the other side of the South downs, must divulge in snow induced panic attacks and cancel the entire day.

Wusses...

Comments

• Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    No..not at home made it in to work..us cheshire girls are made of good stock.....won't let a little bit of white stuff stop us working........................

Can any one please come and rub my little toes...they are numb...oooh and bring me a hot water bottle...and a nice flask of hot chocolate......oooh and my teddie LOL
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Whereas northerners can cope admirably with inclement weather, it appears once again that those of us living over the other side of the South downs, must divulge in snow induced panic attacks and cancel the entire day.

Wusses...

You said it, Robert!

We are all in today - rural area, no public transport to rely on, so it was set the alarm early, spare clothing in the car, wellies included and drive to work as usual. Mind you most of the schools are closed, can't remember that happening when I was at school, we just had to walk as usual. Although my other half used to go home saying the school bus hadn't made it, when all along he's been hiding behind the wall !!:laugh:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    You're right about the schools Jan. When I was still a northerner, I remember walking to school in properly deep snow and it not being closed.

It's kind of embarrassing really being half northern, half southern. All the TV headlines can focus on is the weather and how it's affected the country i.e. London & the South-East. I'm sure they don't acknowledge the rest of the UK as actually existing unless they happen to uncover yet another serial killer up there...
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    We've even had a dusting of snow here and it never snows in these parts.

I'm wrapped up in bed with my laptop - one of the joys of working from home!
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I got in today, same as Jan. Wellies, shovel in boot and plenty of spare clothes. We northern lasses are built of stern stuff:laugh:
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I am in as well, snow boots, extra jacket etc.

Not sure about how i will get home though as it has been snowing all day, anyone a dozen huskies they want to send up here.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    CJC wrote: Β»
    We've even had a dusting of snow here and it never snows in these parts.
    Change that 'light dusting' to 'a fair old covering'.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    We didn't get any snow til like 1.30 and then by 4.30 i left and had to dig my tyres out of the snow so I could leave!
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Everyone at where i work made it in without a problem....good old oxfordshire:thumbdown:.

Apparently part of the problems on the london underground stem from the snow short circuiting the tracks and attemting to weld the trains on the spot.....
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    nope had to go to work...............

mind you got a week off soon ..........and my bday too!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Went in work got a few funny looks at my bright pink festival wellie boots but didnt care wernt being wet and cold hehe no college tomoz tho its closed
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    we are out in germany and have had no snow - yet. i am sure it is on its way.

by comparison though, you have to clear your paths (every path that touches your property) by 9am. this is because people have sued if they fall over on an untreated path .

also every car has to have winter tyres or all weather tyres on from october to march - so it is standard to have 2 sets of wheels for your car. if you have an accident between those months over here, the first thing the police establish is who has the correct tyres on. if you are the unlucky one, you get 60 % of the blame immediately.

we had temperatures of -19 2 weeks go and you still see the kids going to school as early as 7 o clock in the morning, wrapped up, all you can see is their eyes. over here the kids walk to and from school in small groups and some of them are as young as 6!!! scary.

well hope you all have a fun filled snow day and i can do is wish for snow. not that i will get a day off as i live about 25 metres away from where i live - not jealous or anything - much.

take care all

tracy
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I have 2 very disgruntled little boys as their school is open again today and their younger sisters is still closed!!
Privacy Policy