Certified or Chartered Accountant?

jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Certified Accountant and a Chartered Accountant? I thought they were the same thing until I spoke to someone who said they knew someone who had recently qualified as a Certified Accountant and someone who was studying to be a Chartered Accountant.:huh:

Thanks

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Certified accountants qualified with ACCA and Chartered qualified with ICAEW. Both (with the right experience) can do the same things.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Certified Accountant and a Chartered Accountant? I thought they were the same thing until I spoke to someone who said they knew someone who had recently qualified as a Certified Accountant and someone who was studying to be a Chartered Accountant.:huh:

Thanks

As far as i know one difference a lot of finance compaines wont take references from certified only chartered we get asked that a lot
  • Bluewednesday
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    As far as i know one difference a lot of finance compaines wont take references from certified only chartered we get asked that a lot

That's not true!!! I'm sure Peugeot will have something to add here!

As certified official title is 'Chartered certified accountants' finance companies do take eferences from them. A certified accountant is a chartered accountant, the certified part only distinguishes between ACCA and ACA.

If someone asked if I was a chartered accountant I can say with hand on heart that I am! I am a chartered certified accountant.
  • peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    As certified official title is 'Chartered certified accountants' finance companies do take eferences from them. A certified accountant is a chartered accountant, the certified part only distinguishes between ACCA and ACA.

Absolutely correct!

Not sure where you have heard that finance companies would not take reference from an ACCA qualified accountant but it's definitely not true - we get them all the time and we're ACCA regulated.

I think the confusion might be that you would have to have a practising certificate to actually sign one due to ACCA's strict practising rules - in other words a qualified ACCA with no practising cert could not sign one as this would be considered by ACCA to be 'holding yourself out to be in practice'.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I'm confused.. so if you complete ACCA are you not chartered?
  • peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Esme wrote: ยป

Hi Esme,

Yes you are chartered - hence Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. As Annette said above the 'certified' bit distinguishes ACCA from ICAEW.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Esme wrote: ยป

No 'Chartered Certified', still chartered just with the extra certified bit to distinguish between the two organisations.

Effectively they are pretty much the same qualification ran by two different organisations.

They each set there own rules and standards.

Its down to you which you like and what you think they can offer you.

To train to do chartered (ICAEW) you must have a 'training contract' but not for Certified (ACCA). However ACCA seem to have stricter rules about members in practice (i.e you can only do upto TB whilst you are studying)
    Regards,

Burg
  • A-Vic
    That's not true!!! I'm sure Peugeot will have something to add here!

If someone asked if I was a chartered accountant I can say with hand on heart that I am! I am a chartered certified accountant.

I dont disagree its just when completeing business perforamance forms and references for clients it always asks if chartered and qualifactions.
  • Bluewednesday
    And as stated before certified is also a chartered qualification, so the reference is acceptable
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    :001_rolleyes:
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    The forum needs a good ACA vs ACCA thread. Havn't seen one for a while.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    clients it always asks if chartered and qualifactions.

And you say 'yes, chartered certified' :huh:
  • A-Vic
    Hi,

Thanks

as asked above there isnt a difference then
  • A-Vic
    And you say 'yes, chartered certified' :huh:

Nope just chartered
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    A-Vic, you are completely missing what everyone in here is saying to you!

The form is asking for a 'Chartered' qualified. That can be a ACA or ACCA

ACA = Associate Chartered Accountant
    ACCA = Association of Chartered Certified Accountants

Unless the form specifically asks for an ICAEW member any 'Chartered' qualified individual can complete the form.

Regards

Dean
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    At the end of the day- both are CHARTERED - but have qualified in different ways - I suppose CIPFA and CIMA accountants are chartered as they are members of Chartered Institutes too - maybe I am wrong.

Personally, I think it's about time all these bodies came under one umbrella and didn't keep reinventing the wheel. The same goes for Accounting Techniciands - AAT & ACCA both provide routes to beign a techician. Then there are all the different Book-keepers associations etc. Why not bring it all under one body. I know some people who think that ACA is a better chartered accountant than an ACCA - what a load of baloney! It' snobbery - everyone works hard to get these qualifications.

It isn't going to be long before NVQ's disappear in their current format. (see http://www.dius.gov.uk/vqreform/issues/future.html and http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6002288 for a taste of what is in the pipeline.)

Will this be then end of the AAT NVQ?
    Will there be a new breed of qualifications built on boughtin units of study?
    How can someone who studies part time but working in an accounting setting come out with less qualifications than someone who studies full time? (look at the suggested hours based qualifications for clarification so many hours of study give a certificate whilst more give a diploma -that is just wrong!).

Rant over...........
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I suppose CIPFA and CIMA accountants are chartered

Absolutely!
Privacy Policy