Dfs

Primble
Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi

I'm being dumb. How do you work out finance costs when they aren't given in the question?
In my text book it is given

Comments

• peugeot
    peugeot Registered Posts: 624 Epic contributor 🐘
    What sort of question are you doing? An income statement or statement of cash flows?

Regards
    Steve
  • Primble
    income statement is what i'm on at the moment but knowing both would be good. i'm really not gettin gfar with the books. none of it makes sense
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Have you got an interest payable creditor? The difference between the prior year creditor and this years creditor will be the interest paid to go on your income statement.

Gem
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Also, be aware of any interest that may need to be accrued (e.g. half yearly interest paid after the balance sheet date).

If it is not making sense the best thing to do is to start right at the beginning and understand what the DFS paper is all about. Primarily, it examines accounting standards (IFRS/IAS) and tests your consolidation skills. The key IAS's examinable in section A are:

IFRS 3 - business combinations (calculation of goodwill)
    IAS 27 - Consolidated and separate financial statements (so where you consolidate a subsidiary)
    IAS 28 - Investments in associates (where you have an associate rather than a sub)
    IAS 31 - Joint Ventures (not seen one of these in DFS for a while).

To do the cash flow statement you are going to need to brush up on your incomplete records skills. In answer to your Q re interest paid, the calculation is:

Interest creditor b/f
    Plus interest per P&L (include any interest accrual needed per the Q)
    Less interest creditor c/f
    Balancing figure = interest paid

I have done an article on the consolidate income statement and the consolidated balance sheet which might shed some light on it for you.

I am also publishing another article either today or over the weekend on cash flow statements where a link to a comprehensive example will be worked through which should also help you. I'll post up another thread once it goes up.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • Primble
    this is from a trial balance. it has loan notes and interest. is it just the interest then in this case?
    Steve you explain things well. I may be coming back to you in the future.

Maybe i should have found an evening class for this...
  • Steve Collings
    You will just calculate the interest based on the loan notes, so if it is 12% interest, then calculate 12% of the loan capital in the trial balance.

Regards
    Steve
  • Steve Collings
    I have posted a link to a thread on the AccountancyStudents forum which also contains a link to an IAS 7 (Cash Flow Statement) article which I have uploaded (there is also a worked example for you to look at). This should offer some guidance for you.

Regards
    Steve
  • CathG
    CathG Registered Posts: 145 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Steve... just curious, are you AKA peugeot?

Ignore me- just looked at your posting announcing name change.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    thanks steve, i have emailed onto myself so i can print it all out at work

tracy
Privacy Policy