Who has to work with someone they can't stand?

13Β»

Comments

• AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    True and a very interesting point. But along the same note I also disagree that playing violent video games turns kids into killers. There must have been something not quite right in the first place.

I was going to argue that point, but if you mean family breakdown etc to come into the "something not quite right" part, there isn't much of an opportunity to disagree with you. Society is probably the most fundamental "wrong" thing - until that is sorted, the problems will remain.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Oh no! Don't bring up Iraq! This thread has been hi-jacked once already, lol

Why not? They're the modern crusades aren't they but this time performed in the name of foreign policy rather than religion. We march into foreign lands under the guise of 'cleansing' their countries of whatever evil we say is lurking there and if they resist, we slaughter them. Then when we've murdered them into submission, we'll call it a great victory for freedom.

No-one would vote for a modern day church who proclaimed that kind of policy, yet millions voted for a government who did.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Do not rely on the rhythm method - it does not work.
    And don't rely on a doctor telling you you'll never get pregnant with that cyst, that doesn't work either!
  • AdamR
    Do not rely on the rhythm method - it does not work.

Don't worry, I know it's not an exact science. Infact rather imprecise if you look at the statistics. My point was that this method is not allowed under Catholicism, but I bet some try it as a means of having sex. Only a very small minority in any religion will be able to adhere to every rule in the book; most will always come short on one or two.
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    AdamR wrote: Β»
    I was going to argue that point, but if you mean family breakdown etc to come into the "something not quite right" part, there isn't much of an opportunity to disagree with you. Society is probably the most fundamental "wrong" thing - until that is sorted, the problems will remain.

I couldn't agree more. It is a very scary world to be trying to bring kids up in, but you can only try your hardest to be good parents and hope to influence your kids more than society around them.

Am going to bed now, had enough for today. Goodnight. (Might watch the rest of the film in bed.) :001_smile:
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Why not? They're the modern crusades aren't they but this time performed in the name of foreign policy rather than religion. We march into foreign lands under the guise of 'cleansing' their countries of whatever evil we say is lurking there and if they resist, we slaughter them. Then when we've murdered them into submission, we'll call it a great victory for freedom.

No-one would vote for a modern day church who proclaimed that kind of policy, yet millions voted for a government who did.
    Iraq bores me to tears, but if you compare that war to the crusades you will compare EVERY war to the crusades.

Millions marched against the war btw, and seeing as there was no viable alternative to voting for a party who supported the war (libs dems are not viable :001_tongue:), you can't really suggest that by electing NuLab in the next election, that that it was a vote for the war. People voted on other issues.
  • blobbyh
    but I bet some try it as a means of having sex... only a very small minority in any religion will be able to adhere to every rule in the book; most will always come short on one or two.

Boom boom... :laugh:
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Rob I'm so glad you did that before I did! :lol:
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    And don't rely on a doctor telling you you'll never get pregnant with that cyst, that doesn't work either!

Mini-pill doesn't work either - always ask for the full dose.
  • AdamR
    Boom boom... :laugh:

I thought you didn't do smilies?:lol:
  • blobbyh
    Iraq bores me to tears, but if you compare that war to the crusades you will compare EVERY war to the crusades.

Millions marched against the war btw, and seeing as there was no viable alternative to voting for a party who supported the war (libs dems are not viable :001_tongue:), you can't really suggest that by electing NuLab in the next election, that that it was a vote for the war. People voted on other issues.

Some wars have been justified where an aggressor has had to be fought for the common good of humanity, WWII being the prime example.

A conscious decision to not vote at all is still a vote whatever the adverts say. Most elections get what, sixty percent of the electorate, so disallowing those who just couldn't be bothered under any circumstances, there's still a healthy percentage there of deliberate non-voters.
  • LondonMatt
    Some wars have been justified where an aggressor has had to be fought for the common good of humanity, WWII being the prime example.
    Oh indeed, but using your own definition to link Iraq and the Crusades....WWII were modern crusades but this time performed in the name of foreign policy rather than religion. We march into foreign lands under the guise of 'cleansing' their countries of Nazism that is lurking there and because they resisted, we slaughtered them. Then when we'd murdered them into submission, we called it a great victory for freedom.
    A conscious decision to not vote at all is still a vote whatever the adverts say. Most elections get what, sixty percent of the electorate, so disallowing those who just couldn't be bothered under any circumstances, there's still a healthy percentage there of deliberate non-voters.
    But that dosn't prove your point about us specifically voting in a government who fought the Iraq war? You can get elected on tiny numbers of votes, so a mass bycot of the election wouldn't have changed the outcome, imho
  • blobbyh
    Oh indeed, but using your own definition to link Iraq and the Crusades....WWII were modern crusades but this time performed in the name of foreign policy rather than religion. We march into foreign lands under the guise of 'cleansing' their countries of Nazism that is lurking there and because they resisted, we slaughtered them. Then when we'd murdered them into submission, we called it a great victory for freedom.

Are you seriously saying that Poland, France, Holland, Czechoslovakia et al actually welcomed Nazism? You could maybe compare Germany's occupation and crushing regime to the crusades but not our subsequent liberation several years afterwards. I said WWII was a justified war from the allies - and for that of world peace - point of view not from that of the axis forces.

However, still my main point was that politics are the modern prime mover of foreign policy, not religion.
  • LondonMatt
    However, still my main point was that politics are the modern prime mover of foreign policy, not religion.
    Oh it is, but religion plays a bigger role than you think - strange how you pick Iraq though, as both Bush (a 'born again christian') and Blair (virtually a secret catholic at the time) said that their decisions on Iraq were motivated by god...I think Blair even said god told him, but I'll have to check on that.

Anyway, my point was that you can't get elected US president without being christian. Fundementalist christians and the Jewish lobby in the US, will not allow the US to change its policy - rightly or wrongly - towards Israel and the Mid East. Religion plays a much bigger role in foreign policy than you may think
  • blobbyh
    Religion certainly plays a big role in getting elected but I don't think it plays as big a role anymore in western warmongering as the need for providing a raison d'etre for the US arms industry.

If worshipping the devil suddenly became bigger than worshipping God, I'm sure our good old politicians would quickly whip off their wigs and show us the horns we knew were there all along.
  • LondonMatt
    Religion certainly plays a big role in getting elected but I don't think it plays as big a role anymore in western warmongering as the need for providing a raison d'etre for the US arms industry.

People in general are not too fond of wars, they need a reason good enough to go to war. Jobs in the US arms industry is not a good enough reason, but religion is. Do you really think that the US people would put up with mess that is Israel and the Palestinians for as long as they have, if there was no religious element? Imagine that is was France, or Japan, or South Africa(!) that had a half century long conflict that destabilised an oil producing region…..do you really think that the US would have allowed it to drag on for so long? Of course not. Religion is the only reason it has gone on for so long and, imho, the biggest obstacle to peace in the region
  • LondonMatt
    Infact I think the Pope recently decreed that contraception (ie condoms) was acceptable in places like Africa due to the AIDS epidemic. But that is a one off concession I think!
    He must have changed his mind,

"Pope rejects condom use in Africa":
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7947460.stm
    Speaking en route to Cameroon, he said distribution of condoms "increases the problem".
    :001_rolleyes:
  • AdamR
    I saw that. I'm sure there was a concession at some point though...

Then again, what do I know it's not like I follow the religion!
  • LondonMatt
    You're right, there may have been a concession at some point, not any more though. Well, that'll be another couple thousand extra people contracting AIDS....

YAY for religion! :001_rolleyes:
  • AdamR
    I know lol.

Would love to say what I think of it all but the mood I'm in I'd upset a lot of people who have beliefs so I'm going to stay quiet!:laugh:
  • LondonMatt
    I know lol.

Would love to say what I think of it all but the mood I'm in I'd upset a lot of people who have beliefs so I'm going to stay quiet!:laugh:

Upset away Adam!...Can't be scared to upset people, especially when by doing so you could help stop the spread of AIDS....

Religion, like politics, should NEVER be off limits to criticism..... we should all be albe to criticise someones beliefs, even when those beliefs are said to come from god....
  • AdamR
    Well if I need to vent when I get back from work this evening I shall start here! As for now: hi-ho, hi-ho, it's back to work I go:cursing:
Privacy Policy