Salary reductions

farmergiles
farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I don't know if people are finding this in other areas but:-
Talking to my job agencies in South Yorkshire, I get the distinct impression that prospective employers are trying to reduce salaries by up to 20%.
Jobs that should attract salaries of £18-20k are now being offered at £14-16k.
When I have queried this the answer has been "It's a buyers market out there".
I know that we are in a depression but it will only get worse if we allow our salaries to be reduced in this way. After all the hard work that one puts into getting the AAT qualification, this is a bit soul destroying.
I urge all AAT students who are looking for employment to stick to their guns and get the salaries we rightly deserve!!

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I don't know if people are finding this in other areas but:-
    Talking to my job agencies in South Yorkshire, I get the distinct impression that prospective employers are trying to reduce salaries by up to 20%.
    Jobs that should attract salaries of £18-20k are now being offered at £14-16k.
    When I have queried this the answer has been "It's a buyers market out there".
    I know that we are in a depression but it will only get worse if we allow our salaries to be reduced in this way. After all the hard work that one puts into getting the AAT qualification, this is a bit soul destroying.
    I urge all AAT students who are looking for employment to stick to their guns and get the salaries we rightly deserve!!

All i know this year not received my annual christmas bouns and not had any type of rise in 16 months and my work load has at the very least doubled and to be honest there isnt a lot that can be done about it because the way things are today (well anytime really) there will always be 20 people prepaired to step in to my shoes
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would be terribly disappointed if I were not to receive a decent pay-rise let alone a pay-rise at all this year. Over the past 24 months I have worked tremendously hard and implemented several procedures which have proved to cut costs and save time on an ongoing basis. Having missed out on a bonus I thought I was going to be rewarded with, I am banking on getting a good salary increase this time round.
    I regularly compare my market value with other roles advertised and I haven't noticed a drop in salaries offered - maybe the agencies are over-inflating the earnings to attract applicants?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I was pretty impressed with my pay rise, I received more than what I was promised back in February so I'm not complaining! But my salary is still pretty meagre from what I've heard from other people on these forums.
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Damn, I just asked for a raise as well :laugh:

Probably not going to get it now :001_rolleyes:
    I say we join the union! Do we have a union?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic wrote: »
    All i know this year not received my annual christmas bouns and not had any type of rise in 16 months and my work load has at the very least doubled and to be honest there isnt a lot that can be done about it because the way things are today (well anytime really) there will always be 20 people prepaired to step in to my shoes

O and the fact am receiving govenment top up on my wages after working in practise for 4 years makes me think am nuts for staying, however all looks good on a CV
  • A-Vic
    LondonMatt wrote: »
    Damn, I just asked for a raise as well :laugh:

Probably not going to get it now :001_rolleyes:

I say we join the union! Do we have a union?

Am member of the student union that any use :lol::lol:
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    I would really like to get my foot on the ladder in accounts, but recently saw a job locally advertised working from 9-5.30 in an accounts department (pretty much expecting you to be able to do everything) for 12k a year! I am getting a bit worried that my studies will be for nothing and I won't be able to afford to go to work.
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would really like to get my foot on the ladder in accounts, but recently saw a job locally advertised working from 9-5.30 in an accounts department (pretty much expecting you to be able to do everything) for 12k a year! I am getting a bit worried that my studies will be for nothing and I won't be able to afford to go to work.

Don't be disheartened. There'll always be places which will recognise your qualifications and reward you on that basis.
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Thanks I really hope so.:001_smile:
Privacy Policy