new website

Options
lorraine
lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi there I would also like to put my website up for comments like the post below as my website is pretty new and would like to know what you think.

After looking at it myself loads of times it is hard to see it from any other point of view.

my web address is www.1st-stopaccounts.co.uk and I appreciate your time.
ยซ1

Comments

• Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi there I would also like to put my website up for comments like the post below as my website is pretty new and would like to know what you think.

After looking at it myself loads of times it is hard to see it from any other point of view.

my web address is www.1st-stopaccounts.co.uk and I appreciate your time.

:thumbup1:

YOu have no worries there. Simple, professional, user friendly, good choice of colours, consistent layout. Seems like designed elsewhere professionally?... nice nonetheless.
  • lorraine
    Options
    I used a website package where I could select the design and put in the text very easy to use.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I used a website package where I could select the design and put in the text very easy to use.

I agree with Buff's comments....great choice of name as well!

Good luck
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Lorraine

Looking great just one thing have you had permission to include the AAT Logo? Its just you dont want to end up with legal problems later?

But defo very professional looking :thumbup:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Looks fine, though one thing that struck me was
    • Free quotations
    • Free no-obligation initial consultation
    • Free up time to concentrate on running your business
    which at first had me thinking what's 'up time' and what's the advantage of having it free before the 'duh' kicked in. You might want to move that third entry down the list.

While it's probably of no concern to you or the users of your site, the HTML that package is generating is horrible. Why can't these people write software that puts out proper standards based code? Makes me shudder just looking at it.
  • Buff
    Options
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Looks fine, though one thing that struck me was
    • Free quotations
    • Free no-obligation initial consultation
    • Free up time to concentrate on running your business
    which at first had me thinking what's 'up time' and what's the advantage of having it free before the 'duh' kicked in. You might want to move that third entry down the list.

While it's probably of no concern to you or the users of your site, the HTML that package is generating is horrible. Why can't these people write software that puts out proper standards based code? Makes me shudder just looking at it.

Agree fully with Chris - I too wondered what Free Up Time was - being teccie minded, Chris and I probably thoguht you were running web hosting services alongside professional accounting services :-)
  • lorraine
    Options
    am i allowed to use the AAT logo if i am a licensed MIP? please correct if i am wrong as i wouldnt like to get in to trouble.
  • lorraine
    Options
    i see what you mean about the free up time bit i didnt notice that myself, i think thats because i have looked at it too many times.
  • lorraine
    Options
    Buff wrote: ยป
    Agree fully with Chris - I too wondered what Free Up Time was - being teccie minded, Chris and I probably thoguht you were running web hosting services alongside professional accounting services :-)

I have changed the wording on the 'free up time' bit, hopefully it will make more sense now.
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hello Lorraine,

I have to admit had the same thoughts as Buff and CJC when i looked quickly at its yesterday and i see you have already changed it and for the best id say, reads more easily and understandably now.

Overall looks good, good readability, fine with the colours you are using,they are easy on eyes and clear.

Only other thing i can say is about the Bookkeeping and Vat page wording...Subjective critique coming up so feel free to ignore it if you like, no problem at all...and dont take personally. Im funny with wording sometimes and at moment my eyesight is playing up so had re-reading issue with the wording of:
    Preparation and processing of sales invoices

Posting and allocation of sales receipts

Processing, coding and posting of supplier invoices

Posting and allocation of supplier direct debit payments

Posting and allocation of supplier cheques

Analysing and posting of petty cash payments

Payroll journal entries

Depreciation journals

Interest journals

Accruals and prepayments

Bank reconciliations

Trial Balance

Preparation and calculation of Vat Returns and payments to HMRC

Preparation of Draft Financial Statements ready for your accountant to carry out Tax computations and capital allowances etc

Otherwise its a great looking ,clear cut informative site, well done!
  • Buff
    Options
    Forgive me Ponder if this has totally flown over my over-grown hair do, but I don't know what you are getting at :-)

Is it the fact that all the services offered are listed one after another? If so, this is a rather clever marketing technique, showing the client the vast amount of services on offer and therefore gripping the attention of the browser.

Or is there something like a spelling mistake that I didn't see lol (i'm useless for typos - me and my fat fingers tend to argue a lot)

B
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi Lorraine

You are able to use the AAT logo as long as you stick to the correct size, colour and wording.

I sent a link to my website to the AAT and asked them to confirm the way I had displayed it was acceptable.

I also asked them to add the website to my details on the Members in Practice Directory but that was last October and it hasn't been added yet!!!

Sue
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    hmm its just a subjective thing possibly, i mean the above quoted part with the repetition of the words
    Posting and allocation of...
    in a block with lots of sentences starting with the Capital letter P...

I lost where i was in reading it ,so yeah totally subjective and as it does not take much to do that!
    So possibly not a very valid remark, especially if as Buff says theres a Marketing technique involved in doing it this way.

Take what you want(or not) from that point of view.( As i said before ,i have an eye issue at the moment so possibly a bit dfferent point of view)
  • lorraine
    Options
    Ponder wrote: ยป
    hmm its just a subjective thing possibly, i mean the above quoted part with the repetition of the words in a block with lots of sentences starting with the Capital letter P...

I lost where i was in reading it ,so yeah totally subjective and as it does not take much to do that!
    So possibly not a very valid remark, especially if as Buff says theres a Marketing technique involved in doing it this way.

Take what you want(or not) from that point of view.( As i said before ,i have an eye issue at the moment so possibly a bit dfferent point of view)

Your advice is welcome, I was thinking before I read that the page looked to long and too many repetitive words, I have since tried to shorten it as much as possible.
  • lorraine
    Options
    Sue wrote: ยป
    Hi Lorraine

I sent a link to my website to the AAT and asked them to confirm the way I had displayed it was acceptable.

Sue

I have just sent a email to the AAT to check my AAT logo and wording is okay.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    The site looks very nice Lorraine but like Ponder, I'm very anal with wording and have proof read web sites before so this is usually one of the first things I dissect. So here goes;

"Welcome to 1st Stop Accounts we offer an affordable Bookkeeping solution."

Lose the full stop at the end - it's a web page and only one sentence, not a paragraph. Also, I'm not sure that bookkeeping should be capitalised since it's not a proper noun and the grammar doesn't sound right.

How about "Welcome to 1st Stop Accounts - your affordable bookkeeping solution". This also subliminally emphasises that your services help them, not you.

Make it "YOUR 1ST STOP FOR BOOKEEPING"

Don't quantify the number of reasons and then offer un-numbered bullet points; they might count them like I did and it'd be hideous if you added or removed reasons but didn't change the number!

It might be called bookkeeping but you'd collect and deliver their accounts; books sounds Dickensian!

"More time to concentrate on running your business" Who? You or them? Maybe "More time for you to concentrate on running your business"

Tel: 087 123 77 494โ€ ; split the phone number into it's easily memorised parts. Nearly everyone knows the code and will speak it as a series of five digits i.e. 08712 then two sets of three digits i.e. 377 494. If they're dialling locally and thus don't need the code, this will be better to remember.

This was just the first page; do you want me to continue?!
  • lorraine
    Options
    For want of a better phrase you have given me food for thought Blobbyh and I feel really helpful advice, I am currently digesting the info. and really appreciate the advice from everyone.

I would love for you to continue I am finding your advice very helpful and am really grateful for it.
  • lorraine
    Options
    It might be called bookkeeping but you'd collect and deliver their accounts; books sounds Dickensian!

Not sure what you mean by this do you mean that i am stating the obvious as i have already said its a bookkeeping co? also the website will not let me uncapitalise the co. logo, a bit annoying.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    like the site.............but see youve already had the thoughts of everyone else and also pointing out the possible problems with it too..............

as for the "free up" quote !!!

get rid of that totally !
  • lorraine
    Options
    Never looked at it that way before "free up" but its been really good to get different opinions.
  • mark130273
    Options
    just if people are looking for an accountant . they arent really interested in whether you can freeu p there time ...because any accountant will ??
  • lorraine
    Options
    Lose the full stop at the end - it's a web page and only one sentence, not a paragraph. Also, I'm not sure that bookkeeping should be capitalised since it's not a proper noun and the grammar doesn't sound right.

just re read that bit and now understand what you meant sorry long day and its getting late, bed soon i think!
  • lorraine
    Options
    just if people are looking for an accountant . they arent really interested in whether you can freeu p there time ...because any accountant will ??

totally agree now
  • mark130273
    Options
    oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh is that an offer ?lol
  • lorraine
    Options
    im speechless now! lol
  • mark130273
    Options
    ooooooooo...............

dam ...............

ill keep trying !!!

lol
  • lorraine
    Options
    lol
  • mark130273
    Options
    i can..................be your banana !!!!

hahahahahahaha
  • lorraine
    Options
    I remember actually believing in banana man as a child and thinking if i ate a banana i would turn into a super hero lol! ever sooo slighty off topic.....
  • lorraine
    Options
    goodnight banana !!!!!!!
Privacy Policy