Lily Allen

Options
Paul24
Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
Has any body else found that the recent influx of 'songs' in the singles charts such as the new 'song' by the artist mentioned here makes you want to pull your ears off?? :mad2:
Β«1

Comments

• Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Yeah, loads of them. I think it's my age.

The Ting Tings especially make me want to scream.

(I like Imelda May though.)
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Little rich girl singing in that fake common accent, she's infuriatingly popular at the moment considering she's the musical equivalent of HIV.

But music is in good shape at the moment I think, you've gotta look beyond the charts to find the great stuff but that's nothing new.
  • Paul24
    Options
    Sonny_L wrote: Β»
    Little rich girl singing in that fake common accent, she's infuriatingly popular at the moment considering she's the musical equivalent of HIV.

But music is in good shape at the moment I think, you've gotta look beyond the charts to find the great stuff but that's nothing new.

Yeah I am a big big music fan, there are some half decent bands around at the moment, but I always find myself dipping back into older stuff, so Im not exactly over enthusiastic about the the current music scene. My knowledge of the charts consists of the seven mins of radio i hear on the way to and from work each day, when I cant be bothered to put an album on for two and a half songs.

Paul
  • Paul24
    Options
    Cullen wrote: Β»
    Yeah, loads of them. I think it's my age.

The Ting Tings especially make me want to scream.

(I like Imelda May though.)

I agree, isnt amazing how songs can actually make you angry,there is one bit of that Lily Allen song where she sings in a way that actually makes me curse lol suppose I should just turn the radio off (thought id point out that im aware that there is an off button before someone decides to chip in with that advice)

:001_tt2:
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I'm quite liking Glasvegas at the minute - even though they sometimes sing in a very strong scots accent and sing some pretty stupid lines, eg "Liar, liar, liar pants on fire" :ohmy:

Actually sounds alright when they sing it, lol
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Maybe it's my age,but I've heard little new for years in the pop/rock field that interests me. Most of the new music I listen to is experimental or avant-garde and the rock/pop tends to be older stuff. Perhaps we all look back to the music of our youth as a golden age but I still think of the Eighties, away from the mainstream dross, as an era of unparalleled creativity and excitement that's never been bettered.

You can see the gory details of my listening habits here.
  • Cullen
    Options
    The eighties???? Bananarama and Wham??? Noooooo..........

Oh that was the Style Council and The Clash ...ok maybe
  • Paul24
    Options
    Cullen wrote: Β»
    The eighties???? Bananarama and Wham??? Noooooo..........

Oh that was the Style Council and The Clash ...ok maybe

Prefer the Clash of the seventies myself, before the Sadinista three or four sided record - pretentious.

Think the eighties in general was the worst decade (looking back from an eighties child point of view) for mainstream music, would be interested to hear something from your collection Chris, as Id like to hear a different side of the eighties.

Think the Jam were a good band, although Weller as a solo artist IN MY OPINION ONLY is vastly overrated. And gets up my nose when people call the jam a punk band to :mad2::001_tt2:
  • CJC
    Options
    I was thinking more of Joy Division, Pere Ubu, The Birthday Party, The Pop Group and Cocteau Twins etc etc.
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I have an album by T'Pau:blushing:
  • CJC
    Options
    I'll put together a mix for you over the weekend Paul. And Paul Weller's only bettered by Morissey in the good-in-a-group-but-crap-solo stakes
  • Cullen
    Options
    Oh yes, Joy Division and the Buzzcocks. I knew Martin Hannett's brother.
  • Paul24
    Options
    CJC wrote: Β»
    I'll put together a mix for you over the weekend Paul. And Paul Weller's only bettered by Morissey in the good-in-a-group-but-crap-solo stakes

Nice one, big joy division fan - not a fan of new order mind.

Morrisseys solo stuff is far from world beating, with a couple of exceptions, his songs are pretty underwhelming. Its all about Marr with the Smiths, a genuine genius.
  • CJC
    Options
    And talking of music, tonight's Weakest Link had the following exchange...

Q: The lead singer of Travis is Fran who?
    A: Ferdinand.

God knows why I watch that programme, I can't stand Anne Robinson and the contestants are cretins.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Ha,Ha, Fran Ferdinand, sorry that made me laugh out loud!

As for eighties music, I was (and secretly still am) a Duranie!
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    ...If only we could turn off people's bleetings as quickly as you can a radio?!!
    Coming from a Paul Weller/David Bowie fan...and livings in a household full of the Ting Ting's and such other crap (and i know you shall be more up to date :001_tongue:) ....I suppose i am out numbered.....so i shall keep my mouth shut?
    :001_wub:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Dunno about all that other lightweight music around in the 80's but that was THE era of metal. We started with traditional old school Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Def Leppard then got blown away with the blistering dawn of thrash in 83/84. I almost pooped myself with excitement the first time I heard Metallica and Slayer!
  • CJC
    Options
    Lightweight? Like SWANS or The Birthday Party?
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I went through the desert on a horse with no name!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Lightweight? Like SWANS or The Birthday Party?

I must confess to not knowing those Chris but just about everything's lightweight when stood next to Slayer, Machine Head, Slipknot, Cradle of Filth etc...!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Dunno about all that other lightweight music around in the 80's but that was THE era of metal. We started with traditional old school Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Def Leppard then got blown away with the blistering dawn of thrash in 83/84. I almost pooped myself with excitement the first time I heard Metallica and Slayer!

Hey robert i was like that when i heard (after been a mega Metallica fan for it seem as long as you) that i was to see them for the first time last year, unfortunatley what a major let down - (well their new stuff) loved tradional stairway and sandman but omg i almost cried they were so bad.
  • Paul24
    Options
    troy wrote: Β»
    ...If only we could turn off people's bleetings as quickly as you can a radio?!!
    Coming from a Paul Weller/David Bowie fan...and livings in a household full of the Ting Ting's and such other crap (and i know you shall be more up to date :001_tongue:) ....I suppose i am out numbered.....so i shall keep my mouth shut?
    :001_wub:

Big fan of early Bowie here to.......

No need to keep your mouth shut! Just dont try and convince me about Weller :thumbup1:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Paul24 wrote: Β»
    Big fan of early Bowie here to.......

No need to keep your mouth shut! Just dont try and convince me about Weller :thumbup1:

Ha (ok)
  • CJC
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    I must confess to not knowing those Chris
    Which is why I linked to YouTube to enlighten you.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I went through the desert on a horse with no name!
    Good to be back in the world again

in the eighties I liked Yazoo, Alf (solo), Whitesnake, Foreigner, Flock of Seagulls ( 1 hit wonder), Neil Young, ACDC in other words a bit of a bizzare mix
  • A-Vic
    Options
    PAMDILL wrote: Β»
    Good to be back in the world again

in the eighties I liked Yazoo, Alf (solo), Whitesnake, Foreigner, Flock of Seagulls ( 1 hit wonder), Neil Young, ACDC in other words a bit of a bizzare mix

Wow thats a good mix
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Which is why I linked to YouTube to enlighten you.

Yes, but the YouTube links weren't evident in your original message text and I only spotted them when I started to reply. I watched the first one though - did kind of remind me of Bauhaus as a non-believer!
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Has any body else found that the recent influx of 'songs' in the singles charts such as the new 'song' by the artist mentioned here makes you want to pull your ears off??

YES!!

Although im doing quite a good job of not hearing alot of them...ting tings for example ive managed so far not to hear them.

Thank Goodness for earphones and my own choice of music playing on them.
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    haha i let you know if her djing skills are any better as i am goin to see her dj a set after her gig in bristol on weds night!!!

As for music at the moment im loving roses kings and castles....and babyshambles...saw them the other month with roger daltry...very good gig

:001_smile:
  • CJC
    Options
    Hardly a new band, but Β«The Dresden DollsΒ» are doing it for me at the moment, just don't use the 'g' word.
Privacy Policy