The Greatest TV Show Ever starts tonight; The Wire

LondonMatt
LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
BBC2 11.20pm The Wire

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvandradioblog/2009/mar/12/sopranos-the-wire-bbc2
In case you still haven't heard of it, The Wire's one of the few shows in recent years that has managed to crack the elusive all-time-best lists, leapfrogging into the critics' No 1 position, previously held by HBO stablemate The Sopranos.

At first it looks like a crime drama – cops v drug-gangs on the mean streets of Baltimore. Then the focus of the action widens, and you realise it's more like a portrait of an entire city falling apart – from the top (the mayor's office) to the bottom (the corner kids running heroin on the streets). It's one of TV's most political, angry and articulate statements about the decline of the modern American city.

But The Wire has also been accused of being one of the most critically acclaimed shows that no one's actually seen – the joke being that it's had more articles written about it than actual viewers. All through its unprecedented cult success, one question remained: why hadn't one of the terrestrial channels picked it up?

IMDB has it at 9.7/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/

Metacritic has [Season4] at 98/100
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/wireseason4?q=the%20wire

Quite simply, the greatest TV show ever made.

If you can't stay up that late on a school night to watch it, then thats why the BBCi Player was invented :001_smile:

PS The Wire is where I get my avatar from :thumbup:

Comments

• CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Definitely looking forward to this. I didn't see it before not having satellite.
  • LondonMatt
    Oh, you'll enjoy it. People say it starts slow and it takes a couple of episodes to grow on you, but when it does, you'll love it :thumbup1:

PS Whatever you do, DON'T go on the IMDB forum as the series is over and there are major spoliers everywhere
  • LondonMatt
    I hope you will all be watching.....They'll be a test tomorrow

:laugh:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I'll keep an eye out for it on the iPlayer then though I was a bit underwhelmed by 'The Mentalist' on Channel 5 last Thursday which has had similar glowing reviews from the states...
  • jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    LondonMatt wrote: »
    I hope you will all be watching.....They'll be a test tomorrow

:laugh:

:ohmy: Too late for me, will have to speak nicely to Mr Sky box, I'm sure he'll record it :lol:
  • CJC
    I'll probably catch it on the iPlayer tomorrow - feeling too tired to stay up tonight.

Actually, most of the UK critics reckoned The Mentalist was pants but The Wire has been pretty much raved about all over.

Anyway, it'll be good to have some quality US drama to watch now that the almighty Dexter has finished
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    I had heard glowing reports of 'The Mentalist' and watched it on Demand 5 at the weekend, I thought it was a bit slow I am hoping it picks up. I tried to watch 'The Wire' a few tiems on satellite but could not get into it. I will maybe try it again on Iplayer.
  • LondonMatt
    PAMDILL wrote: »
    I had heard glowing reports of 'The Mentalist' and watched it on Demand 5 at the weekend, I thought it was a bit slow I am hoping it picks up. I tried to watch 'The Wire' a few tiems on satellite but could not get into it. I will maybe try it again on Iplayer.
    You should, The Wire is really good. You'll need to give it time as some people find it slow, but its definitely worth investing a couple of hours into.

Forget about 'The Mentalist'. The Wire is in a different league to that
  • SeanyBoy
    SeanyBoy Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    You should, The Wire is really good. You'll need to give it time as some people find it slow, but its definitely worth investing a couple of hours into.

Forget about 'The Mentalist'. The Wire is in a different league to that

is that the programme with robson green in it?? :confused1:
  • LondonMatt
    SeanyBoy wrote: »
    is that the programme with robson green in it?? :confused1:

You taking the mick? That’s Wire In the Blood and is nothing compared to the Wire.

The Wire is set in a Baltimore 'project' and follows the lives of drug dealers and the cops who are trying to take them down.
  • SeanyBoy
    You taking the mick? That’s Wire In the Blood and is nothing compared to the Wire.

The Wire is set in a Baltimore 'project' and follows the lives of drug dealers and the cops who are trying to take them down.

hey ive only got freeview pal!! no bbc iplayer for me! sounded similar though :lol::lol:
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I haven't watched it yet. I recorded it and will endeavour to watch it tonight. Better be good!
  • LondonMatt
    SeanyBoy wrote: »
    hey ive only got freeview pal!! no bbc iplayer for me! sounded similar though :lol::lol:
    BBC iplayer is online….if you have a connection to the internet, you have iplayer :001_smile:
  • SeanyBoy
    BBC iplayer is online….if you have a connection to the internet, you have iplayer :001_smile:

oooooohhhh :blushing: i knew that!!
  • LondonMatt
    jilt wrote: »
    I haven't watched it yet. I recorded it and will endeavour to watch it tonight. Better be good!

Its good, but just give it time, at least a couple of episodes. And also, make sure you pay attention to it. That might sound patronising, but I'm serious. You can't be studying or ironing whilst watching it. Its not one of those shows where if you miss five minutes, you can jump straight back in. You need to concentrate on it.

That makes it sound like really hard work, but its not. And perhaps the hype I've given this show will lessen your enjoyment of it but I'll shut up about it now and just let everyone watch and make up their own minds

Let me know what you think of it
  • CJC
    Only it's not available onthe iPlayer... arrrgh :mad2:
  • LondonMatt
    CJC wrote: »
    Only it's not available onthe iPlayer... arrrgh :mad2:

its not?? Ooops...:001_unsure:
  • jilt
    You can't be studying or ironing whilst watching it.

I'll ignore the ironing remark :glare:

Watched the first one last night, you didn't tell me it was every week night!! Yep, we enjoyed it, found it very funny in places 'these are for you McNulty' :laugh:

By the end of it I I found it easier to follow and was getting to know the characters, particularly like Bunk.

Started to watch last nights but had to give up after 15 minutes, I needed my beauty sleep the alarm goes off at 6.30am! Thank goodness for Sky+, it's now on series record :001_smile:

Thanks Matt
  • LondonMatt
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it jil! :thumbup:
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Is it on every Monday?
  • jilt
    Esme wrote: »
    Is it on every Monday?

It's on every night during this week and next Monday. Sky didn't go any further but I'm presuming it's on every night next week also.
  • LondonMatt
    It's on every night during this week and next Monday. Sky didn't go any further but I'm presuming it's on every night next week also.

Yeah, I think you're right, every night for the next couple of weeks :glare: . Its ridiculous. They finally put the show on terrestial tv (7 YEARS after it airs in the US and a year after the entire show has finished), but then give it a terrible timeslot, no advertising and don't even put it on iplayer :mad2:

And people wonder why no one has heard of the show…. :001_rolleyes:
  • jilt
    Actually Matt forgot to say, didn't expect to see your avatar in the opening seconds!!!
  • CJC
    Well, I'm assuming there are contractual reasons why it's not on the iPlayer that probably aren't the BBC's fault. I also thought it was pretty heavily advertised. The late timeslot is a pain though and the every night scheduling doesn't give you much time to catch up if you should record it.

By and large, terrestrial TV hasn't always served quality imports well. The Shield and The Sopranos also suffered late night slots, Seinfeld and The Larry Sanders Show got mucked about with and best-science-fiction-series-ever Babylon Five was shunted all over the schedules by C4 so you hardly ever knew when it was going to be on from one week to the next. I only got into that at all because my ex had obsessively videoed the lot.

Anyway, The Wire seems to be shaping up intriguingly.
  • LondonMatt
    Actually Matt forgot to say, didn't expect to see your avatar in the opening seconds!!!

Yep, that be Snotboogie's blood…."If he always stole the money, why'd you let him play?"

"This is America man, you got to"

And I was hooked :thumbup:
  • LondonMatt
    By and large, terrestrial TV hasn't always served quality imports well. The Shield and The Sopranos also suffered late night slots, Seinfeld and The Larry Sanders Show got mucked about with and best-science-fiction-series-ever Babylon Five was shunted all over the schedules by C4 so you hardly ever knew when it was going to be on from one week to the next. I only got into that at all because my ex had obsessively videoed the lot.

I know, the list of tv shows that have almost been ruined by terrestrial tv is almost endless - the worst example I can think of is ITV not showing an entire episode of Pushing Daisies, so it could start showing something else after 11 weeks instead of 12…:glare: I think that something else may have been a reality show...Never watched PD myself, but it just typifies how terrestrial tv treats imported shows, dramas especially - they can't seem to get enough of US *sitcoms nowadays, I swear I've seen every episode of friends at least 3 times

*Ironically the exception to that is Arrested Development, another critically acclaimed US show that was destined to the late night slot as I recall :001_rolleyes:

Anyway, rant over…..enjoy the show
  • CJC
    I don't think I've ever watched an episode of Friends all the way through despite its ubiquity.
  • jilt
    I don't think I've ever watched an episode of Friends all the way through despite its ubiquity.

Am with you on that one, I did try to watch one to see what all the fuss was but it wasn't for me :thumbdown:
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Am with you on that one, I did try to watch one to see what all the fuss was but it wasn't for me :thumbdown:

My Son Bought me the whole box series for christmas!!!

I let you borrow them.....in about two years when I have had time to sit and watch them:001_wub:
  • LondonMatt
    Ironically the exception to that is Arrested Development, another critically acclaimed US show that was destined to the late night slot as I recall :001_rolleyes:

Just found another ironic exception...."It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". Funniest sitcom I've seen since The Office - it has even been compared to Seinfeld :thumbup1:

A very good show that has only been shown on Bravo - apparently :confused1:

Check it out if you can :thumbup:
Privacy Policy