I have no faith in myself!!!

Options
ema192
ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I am doing the past exam papers for the level 3 Maintaining Financial Records and preparing accounts. My exam is in June I have done 7 past exam papers now but havent completed one in full by myself as yet :-S. I keep checking my answers to the answers off here and the majority of the time i am gettin the answers right but theres the odd one or 2 im not. I just dont seem to have much confidence in myself and my answers im guessing the only way to get this is by doing more pass papers tho???? caanyone recommend any other ways??

Thanks
Emma

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    ema192 wrote: ยป
    I am doing the past exam papers for the level 3 Maintaining Financial Records and preparing accounts. My exam is in June I have done 7 past exam papers now but havent completed one in full by myself as yet :-S. I keep checking my answers to the answers off here and the majority of the time i am gettin the answers right but theres the odd one or 2 im not. I just dont seem to have much confidence in myself and my answers im guessing the only way to get this is by doing more pass papers tho???? caanyone recommend any other ways??

Thanks
    Emma

Emma

Just to let you know ive just passed the FRA and never got any past paper right the whole time - all you can do is your revision and keep practising and i bet you will do fine
  • one-eyed-womble
    one-eyed-womble Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I was exactly the same. I sat the FRA exam in December and passed. In all the practice exams I did beforehand, none were 100% correct. Lucky that the pass rate isn't 100% or we'd all be doing re-sits!

So long as you are completing the practice exams within 3 hours and most of your answers are correct, I would say that you will be absolutely fine.

Just a small point too, I found some great pens that write like pens, but that you can rub out what you write like a pencil. Saves time in the exam from messing about with tippex or crossing out.

Good luck!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Just a small point too, I found some great pens that write like pens, but that you can rub out what you write like a pencil. Saves time in the exam from messing about with tippex or crossing out.

Good luck!

Do you have the name of these magic pens please :001_smile:
  • one-eyed-womble
    Options
    Sure! Pilot Frixion. I've seen them for sale in Tescos & WH Smiths, in a few different colours. They don't last long though so make sure you take a brand new one in with you. The closer I got to the exam, the more of them I bought, it was quite an obsession for a while :001_tongue:
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Sure! Pilot Frixion. I've seen them for sale in Tescos & WH Smiths, in a few different colours. They don't last long though so make sure you take a brand new one in with you. The closer I got to the exam, the more of them I bought, it was quite an obsession for a while :001_tongue:

• ema192
    Options
    :001_smile:

Thank you for your reply, I am completing the exams within a couple of hours but checking my answers as i go through them becuase i dont feel confident but i will carry on , and try my best fingers crossed, i was sure i had failed the last one but passed :-) .
    I have got some of them pens they are great save so much time in the exam they do say not to use them in case they accidently rub your answers out but i think it should be fine :-)

cheers again
    Emma
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Emma

Just to let you know ive just passed the FRA and never got any past paper right the whole time - all you can do is your revision and keep practising and i bet you will do fine
    I was exactly the same. I sat the FRA exam in December and passed. In all the practice exams I did beforehand, none were 100% correct. Lucky that the pass rate isn't 100% or we'd all be doing re-sits!

Ditto!:001_rolleyes:
  • carol
    carol Registered Posts: 13 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Im getting some of those pens!
    I was suprised to find I had passed FRA last December. My tip is make as many "workings as necesarry" to show how you have worked it out and that you understand it - I did loads.

And remember you dont have to get all the answer correct. I didnt so I bunged it into suspense, which you would do in real life - and that will give you a mark or two. Good luck.
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I am going to apply the 'bung it in suspense' accounting standard from now on!!:thumbup1:
  • carol
    carol Registered Posts: 13 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Havent you heard that accounting standard, Ha Ha Keep watching there are more. What about the "slide-off" accounts? Hee heee
  • ema192
    Options
    ha ha my tutor has taught me the " bung it in suspense" accounting standard!!!! so it must be real!!
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Emma

We all feel like that at times.I was sailing though FRA until I went on holiday for a couple of weeks and now when I look at it none of it makes sense.

You are completing the practice exams which is the best way to learn.**

Have you checked out the e learning on this website?* It is very good and an easy way to get your head around Accruals and prepayments etc.

Make your own passcards and carry them around with you.*

If you have access to a dictaphone make little sessions that you can listen to on your ipod. Great for jogging with!

I am entering the exam in June, not 100% sure i'm ready but if I fail will be good practice for next time. My nerves aren't the greatest at the moment so I need all the practice at exams

Good Luck and remember you aren't alone
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    The main thing about the exams are, that you jsut have to show reasonable competence overall. As long as you are ok in the main areas, ie doing the adjustments to the TB and producing the final accounts and some of the minor questions, then you should pass the exam. If you get one or two of the smaller questions wrong, which are worth about a point each, then that shouldn't affect your overall result.

It took me a while to get used to the subject, and the pass papers when i did it this time last year.

Best of luck for your exams. We are all here if you need any help.:thumbup1:
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    think everyone feels the same...im doin fast track and have only just been given skills tests by my tutors to practice...not even been given an exam yet and im suppose to be sitting them in june!!!
    ive printed them off myself but they dont seem to make much sense so think i may just give up on the idea!!! lol
    you will be fine

:001_smile:
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Firstly, a word of warning

Do not use erasable pens in an exam - it's essentially the same as using pencil.

The exam papers clearly state: "We strongly recommend that you use a pen rather than a pencil." and you should take note of this.

Secondly, if you are managing to complete most of the paper OK but feel that you really must check your answers before completing a task, resist the urge and go with you convicitons becuase 9 timesout of 10 you will be right the first time. Anyway, you can never guess what will be on the 'real' paper and you still have nearly 2months to get things 100% right don't you?

Good luck in June.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    ema192 wrote: ยป
    ha ha my tutor has taught me the " bung it in suspense" accounting standard!!!! so it must be real!!

Did it myself otherwise i would have totally hashed the whole thing - but make sure you make a note on explaining why you did and that you plan to go back to it (as if you would in real accounts)
  • ema192
    Options
    hey thanks guys for your replies,
    I have been doing the quiz's on here and i am geting the accounts in the correct places .
    One thing i need to concentrate on is putting all the information in the right places on the p &l and bs. I can do the adjustemnts journals and disposal of an asset just niggly things that i seem to struggle with. I will carry on though i so dont wanna fail this, If i do fail the FRA do i have to retake the ECR exam as well??

Im useless at the writing q's aswell just seem to babble on as you can prob tell ha ha!!!

cheers anyway feel more positive about it speaking to ppl i know i have 2 months but im a bit of a worrier and i dont wanna fail it after all this hard work i have put in , Im goin away the week before the exam so will have time to relax :-)
    passcards sound a good idea :-)

good luck to everyone else aswell were all in this together no matter how mad we may be he he !!
  • mikes
    mikes Registered Posts: 254 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    If you have already passed the ECR, then thats it. You dont have to do it again, regardless of your FRA result.

Best of luck.
    :thumbup:
  • one-eyed-womble
    Options
    Firstly, a word of warning

Do not use erasable pens in an exam - it's essentially the same as using pencil.

The exam papers clearly state: "We strongly recommend that you use a pen rather than a pencil." and you should take note of this.

Strange you say that Welsh Wizard, because I used the pens no problem in Dec's FRA exam, and also my friend's course tutor had actually recommended them which is how I found out about them in the first place.
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Would you fill in a cheque in pencil? No.

Would you sign a loan agreement thathad the amount filled in in pencil? No.

Should you fill in any documents that could affect the rest of your professional life in pencil (or other erasable medium)? I'll leave that decision up to you.

Erasable ink washes off paper very easily if liquid is spilt on it, so you need to think carefully. I think the tutor who recommended these pens is not keeping your friend's best interests at heart. You are alowed to use moderate amounts of correction fliud so use that rather than risk vital parts of your paper disappearing.
Privacy Policy