CIMA Students in here?

Options
Paul24
Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Any fellow CIMA students in here?

I know this is the AAT forums, but the CIMA forum is rubbish, and well, this is the off-topic forum.

Im sitting P1 and P8 next week, cant wait to get them over with!
ยซ1

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    Any fellow CIMA students in here?

I know this is the AAT forums, but the CIMA forum is rubbish, and well, this is the off-topic forum.

Im sitting P1 and P8 next week, cant wait to get them over with!

Hey,

I'm a CIMA student. Got papers 1 & 7 in November.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I'm seriously considering becoming a CIMA student, but I have a couple of interviews with places offering me ACA training instead. (I don't have that great a preference, especially if my employer is paying for it, I'll do it) If I don't get one of them, I'll take matters into my own hands and start working through a professional course without employer support.

If I do end up doing a professional qualification on my own, it'll be CIMA, but I'll wait until the new year and start in the 2010 syllabus. I'll be graduating in July, and my degree will allow me to claim exemptions from Papers 1, 2, 7 and 9. (But not 4 or 5 for some reason so I'll be starting with P4 in January, to do the exam in May 2010)
  • Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I'm a CIMA student..
    Got P1 & P2 next week.

I looked at the contents of P1 initially and thought, no problem. How I was mistaken. The least said about process costing the better, I'm not going to dedicate any more time to it so hopefully it won't come up in the exam!
  • Paul24
    Options
    A-ha

Its tricky one isnt it P1.

Process costing, Im ok with some of the principles by thinking about the actual accounts, and drawing them up, BUT it is a horrible area of the syllabus.

How are you finding transfer pricing? Only got my head around that in the alst day or two!!
  • Gianni
    Options
    I don't think process costing is such a big part anyway is it? I'll give it another quick look but I didn't grasp it "studying" so to speak - in all honesty I didn't spend much time on it, only had 4 weeks to learn all this (left it late again!!!).

I've not reached transfer pricing yet, that's on tomorrows study list.... I'm cutting it fine!

I'm hanging onto the fact for P1 there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer half the time and as long as you demonstrate knowledge and show you understand the question it probably will be enough. As ever I always look to score well on Section A - if you do that, the rest of the exam is much easier!!
  • Dorset Student
    Dorset Student Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hi

I am a CIMA student too, and have P1 and P4 next week. Transfer pricing doesn't seem too bad, not too good at process costing. As for the rest, well, why is there so much ?

Tracy
  • Paul24
    Options
    I understand the process accounts, so hoping that will be enough, saying that I have a friend who really understands process costing, abut doesnt get ABC. Im the other way round so we are having a study day saturday to help each other out. Just hope she IS good!!!!

I agree if you can pick up 25 - 30 on section a, then its good news. Unfortunately the paper is set out differently with P8, and its horrendous. 20 mark A, three 10 mark Qs in B, and two from three questions for 25 marks each in C!!
  • MaryJ
    MaryJ Registered Posts: 7 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Hi

I'm a CIMA student too. P1 and P7 next week! I also agree that this forum is much better than the CIMA one.

P1 - I'm still struggling to get my head back around variances. I actually cracked it when I did MAC in Dec 07 but that was obviously too long ago for my poor memory. Apart from that, not finding it too bad. I have heard that process costing is being dropped from the syllabus soon, not that helps anyone in this sitting!

P7 - Did think I'd be OK after finding DFS fairly straightforward but there's just so much to learn and remember. Yield to maturity? What's that all about then?

Good luck to all CIMA students for next week!
  • Paul24
    Options
    MaryJ wrote: ยป
    Hi

I'm a CIMA student too. P1 and P7 next week! I also agree that this forum is much better than the CIMA one.

P1 - I'm still struggling to get my head back around variances. I actually cracked it when I did MAC in Dec 07 but that was obviously too long ago for my poor memory. Apart from that, not finding it too bad. I have heard that process costing is being dropped from the syllabus soon, not that helps anyone in this sitting!

P7 - Did think I'd be OK after finding DFS fairly straightforward but there's just so much to learn and remember. Yield to maturity? What's that all about then?

Good luck to all CIMA students for next week!

And to you to!

I cant remember Yield to maturity, I did know it last year when I sat P7.

Just a friendly word of warning, P8 is horrendous so Id crack on asap when the course starts!
  • MaryJ
    Options
    And to you to!

I cant remember Yield to maturity, I did know it last year when I sat P7.

Just a friendly word of warning, P8 is horrendous so Id crack on asap when the course starts!
    Thank you for the advice about P8!

Actually, what would your advice be on the papers to do next? P2 & P4 or P2 & P8?
  • Paul24
    Options
    What do you have left to do?

I have been advised against sitting P2 & P8 together.
  • MaryJ
    Options
    What do you have left to do?

I have been advised against sitting P2 & P8 together.
    Everything except P1 & P7 (I started CIMA in March this year).

So P2 & P4 or P4 & P8 then I guess. This is of course assuming I pass both in May because I really don't fancy doing two new modules and any re-takes!
  • Paul24
    Options
    MaryJ wrote: ยป
    Everything except P1 & P7 (I started CIMA in March this year).

So P2 & P4 or P4 & P8 then I guess. This is of course assuming I pass both in May because I really don't fancy doing two new modules and any re-takes!

In your position Id prob do P8 & P4, then P2 & P5 in that order, taking into account what they have told us regarding the syllabus changes coming in next May. Might side step some of the nastier stuff in P2. Unless you dont want to miss out, then do them the other way around.
  • MaryJ
    Options
    In your position Id prob do P8 & P4, then P2 & P5 in that order, taking into account what they have told us regarding the syllabus changes coming in next May. Might side step some of the nastier stuff in P2. Unless you dont want to miss out, then do them the other way around.
    Thank you for the advice. I'll be more than happy to side step any nasty stuff!

I take it you've nearly finished the managerial level?
  • Paul24
    Options
    No, I hope to finish in November, to sit Strats next May. Im not taking anything for granted though. It is TOUGH!! As you know!
  • MaryJ
    Options
    Yep, sure is tough!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if you've put the hours in which I'm guessing you have! Keep telling myself that I can't do anymore than that!

Thanks again for the advice!
  • Paul24
    Options
    Ill catch up with you next week after they are over!!

All the best.
  • MaryJ
    Options
    Good idea, you're on!
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hello,

Im due to sit P4 and P8 next week. Im actually more worried about P4 as I don't like the wordy type of papers and find it difficult remebering theorists names etc. - also the question C model anwers are very long and hard to follow, or is this just me?

I took P1 and P7 last year, and actually found P1 easier - the final question on P7 when I did it was far more difficult than anything I had seen before. Another thing I have noticed is that time is much more pressurised than AAT, you really have to move quickly.

Good luck all for next week :thumbup1:
  • Gianni
    Options
    I'm sure we'll all be fine!

crispy did you do P7 in November? If so I agree, I thought the whole exam was difficult to be honest. I prepare financial statements often but that paper seemed loaded to the max, a lot more difficult than previous papers - luckily just got through it.

In terms of P4, I did this in November and think it's probably the easiest module of them all really from looking at the syllabus for each, I found a lot of it related to A Level Business Studies (motivation, change etc.). On section C, try and remember the definitions, explain the concepts and then relate to the case study (I'd not take to much notice of the model answers!).
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi Gianni,

I actually took p7 in May last year but have also seen the november paper - and what a total horror question C was (gold mines?). I thought it couldn't get worse from May but no, it was even more confusing - like you I was very relieved to have passed that one.

For P4 am just self-study and initially made the mistake of using the 'official' study text. This may be very thorough but I don't think was written with the students in mind - we are human beings, not computers. I think the language style is not very 'user friendly' and have since brought the bpp book which I find more down to earth.

Thank you for your advice.
  • Gianni
    Options
    I'm also on self study! I have to admit I originally used the 'official' study text for P7 but then went and got a Kaplan book to retain my sanity.

I'm now using the online version of the 'official' study text with no other textbooks (the language style is more relaxed). I prefer learning in this way as it's a little more interactive than a book, not to mention colourful which makes it easier to sit through for hours. It also gives many links to external websites for additional reading as you go through the chapters which is good.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anybody using CIMAstudy.com?

I've paid for P1 & P7 but have only started looking at P1 so far.
  • Gianni
    Options
    Yeah Don Juan, that's what I meant by the online version.
    Have P1 & P2 set up on mine.
    What do you think of it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's ok. The information sticks in my mind.
  • Paul24
    Options
    Good luck everyone. This time tomorrow, beer o clock!!
  • Gianni
    Options
    Good luck Paul.
    P1 is going to be interesting! I was working through the May 2008 past paper today, section C was so easy it's untrue (a cash budget!) - if that comes up I've passed.... but heyho, no doubt it'll be a hard one - I think it's going to be close to 50 for me!
  • Paul24
    Options
    Im hoping a cash budget or Throughput ABC or something like that. Who knows!!!!

The last two may exams have been cash budgets!!
  • Gianni
    Options
    Didn't realise, we can write off the cash budget then!
    I'm thinking it may be ABC costing and probably transfer pricing. I imagine non financial performance indicators has to show itself up as well.
  • Paul24
    Options
    There was a big question TP on Nov. I will do anything other than that if its there!!!!!
Privacy Policy