Which exam Unit you find more difficult?

Options
Londina
Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
For me on the Diploma pathway, is:

1)BTC too many taxes and situations to remember
2)MAC I have a mental block for overheads and their absorptions
3)DFS for me this is the easiest since I'm dealing with Financial statements at work almost everyday

Comments

• umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    DFS. Just can't get it into my head at all, what a nightmare.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    DFS. Just can't get it into my head at all, what a nightmare.

Ask away!
  • gosia79
    gosia79 Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    MAC- I am taking this one in June.
    So far it seems the most difficult :001_unsure:
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    Ask away!
    I'm sure I'll have to eventually. I started studying for june, but realised i just couldn't do it and am doing pcr and pev instead, will try again for dfs in december but not looking forward to that at all.
  • Londina
    Options
    MAC- I am taking this one in June.
    So far it seems the most difficult :001_unsure:

Actually, yes MAC is a nightmare!!!
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    It's got to be DFS. Cash flow is not easy to remember, consolidating statements is a bit difficult and IAS's to boot. Stuff I will never get to use.

But I've heard people almost certain they passed PEV yet suprisingly failed. That worries me a lot. Variance formulas don't seem so hard. More difficult is explaining them and having a section 2 unpredicatable question with life cycle and target costing for the past 6 years. Even ratios which may be simple to calculate are hard to explain.

At least with DFS you can get your figures to "balance".
  • Londina
    Options
    Once you find your own layout for cash flow and consolidation, is very easy to do them!

Instead for MAC there is no way around, or you understand the logic and what to do, or nothing, you fail!
    I'm so worried for it!!
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I am dreading DFS as I know I would never be able to rattle off all the standard blah, blah that goes on in the accountants statements and the director's statements. Could probably remember how to get the actual figures done but have no chance with the word bits.

Will prob. leave DFS to last.
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    The thing with DFS is that it is a fairly tough, large syllabus with an easy exam. I felt my exam (December 2007) tested less than 50% of what I'd learnt in preparation.

Looking back at the past papers you see that they are shockingly similar each sitting.

I'd say PEV is probably the toughest Technician exam, and PTC the easiest.
  • Marg22
    Marg22 Registered Posts: 84 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I'm finding PCR to be the worst, it is the way the exam papers are wrote.

It seems as though even the AAT give one set of answers and then sometimes completely change them.

Keeping everything crossed for this one.
  • alicemaylara
    alicemaylara Registered Posts: 259 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    DFS is going ok,
    MAC...well sometimes its fine then ill come across a question and it will all go wrong and i wont no where to get the numbers from
    PTC......not very good teaching so i think im going to fail :(
    I have all of them in June, anyone else taking 3 in june? Im stuggleing to manage 30hrs at work and revision for 3 topics. I tend to favour all the questions i can do and ignoring the ones i cant which is BAD!
  • Londina
    Options
    I have all of them in June, anyone else taking 3 in june? Im stuggleing to manage 30hrs at work and revision for 3 topics. I tend to favour all the questions i can do and ignoring the ones i cant which is BAD!

I do, 3 exams in June: DFS, MAC and BTC!!!:001_unsure:
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I also found MAC to be the hardest unit.

Good luck to anyone taking it in June!
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    passed all other exams quite easily ... struggling on MAC from last two attempts for me thats the toughest one . The worst thing is the mystery parts every body knows there will be a question on budgeting variances and ratios but other bits are absolutely night mare . good luck every body . oh one thing more i am attending AAT revision class on 30th of may any body else coming ?i think it will really help to get ready for MAC in june .. when i booked the revision class two weeks ago there were still 26 seats available dont know if any seat available now :thumbup:
  • Londina
    Options
    p oh one thing more i am attending AAT revision class on 30th of may any body else coming ?i think it will really help to get ready for MAC in june .. :thumbup:

I will be there, hoping to get some tips for pass nightmare Mac! see ya!
  • brett316
    brett316 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    4 exams, BTC, DFS, PEV and PCR, and 38 hour week at work + the usual driving lesons each week, cooking cleaning etc. All be worth the hard work ...
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    MAC was definitely the hardest.

PTC was easy peasy Japanesey.

Speegs
  • Emil79
    Emil79 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Anyone wanna practice mac, pleaseeee

I everybody, stuggleing with MAC too, any one wanna practice this exam with me, I need HELP.:001_smile:
    I' m free every evening after work(5 pm)
    Really friendly guy, if yes contact me emilianostirpe@hotmail.com

Thank you:001_smile:
  • alicemaylara
    alicemaylara Registered Posts: 259 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    '4 exams, BTC, DFS, PEV and PCR, and 38 hour week at work + the usual driving lesons each week, cooking cleaning etc. All be worth the hard work ...'

I suddenly feel very lazy
  • brett316
    brett316 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Nooo not lazy its just the way some places do them, whether it makes it harder/easier I dont know but still 3 exams is hard enough with work too!! I would say there is plenty more people who have it more difficult than us both though, especially ones who have kids on top of all that .....
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    pev was the worst ever and pcr second worst, I sat them last June but wish everyone sitting this year goodluck and do lots of revision then you will feel as ready as you can!
  • welshboy
    welshboy Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I am just going through past papers and have come acrross PEV June 2005.

What a horrible paper!:thumbdown::thumbdown:
  • lala2009
    lala2009 Registered Posts: 95 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    In my opinion PEV is the most difficult exam - I failed it last year and am petrified that I will fail again next month :( Any advice? Section 1 is ok, but section 2 is so unpredicatable....
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    The problem with PEV section 2 is it could be absolutely anything. Life cycle costing, target costing, TQM, modify a production budget, wastage factors, or discount factors, seasonal and true variance formulae. I bet there's more! I am dreading PEV.
  • lala2009
    lala2009 Registered Posts: 95 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Me too! I have been reading the chief assessors report for past exams and it seems that we need to be able to demonstrate our knowledge of intermediate level costing as well as technician level! Which isn't so great as I lost all that knowledge a long time ago - when I left the exam room to be precise! Looks as though I'm gonna have to work my butt off over the next couple of weeks :( good luck to everyone taking exams in June! :thumbup1:
  • Londina
    Options
    The problem with PEV section 2 is it could be absolutely anything. Life cycle costing, target costing, TQM, modify a production budget, wastage factors, or discount factors, seasonal and true variance formulae. I bet there's more! I am dreading PEV.

All of these are not covered in my Kaplan MAC book!!!:confused1::thumbdown::001_unsure:

I'm wondering, those who are studying MAC, will have a MAC paper I assume, not a PEV/PCR one??
Privacy Policy