Pev ( k& u)

Options
Khurram Taj
Khurram Taj Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all,

Could anyone give me a good tip to explain variances and performance indicators in part one and two respectively?

Please tell me briefly that what I use in my explanation to get good marks.

I welcome your comments in this matter.

Best regards

Khurram Taj

Comments

• cs_1988
    cs_1988 Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Yeah, if anyone has any "Model Answers" for these that would be great.....
  • 111beckstar111
    111beckstar111 Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Variances and Performance Indicators

Variances :

Direct Material Variance- this shows the difference between the standard cost of material and the actual cost of material for actual production. This can be analysed into the two variances below.

Direct Material Price Variance - amount of the cost difference due to the pice of material. Favourable = cost of materials is cheaper than budgeted for. (may be due to bulk buy, cheaper supplier etc) Adverse= cost of materials is dearer than budgeted for. (may be due to better quality etc)

Direct Material Usage Variance - amount of the cost difference due to the amount of material used. Favourable = used less material than budgeted for.
    Adverse= used more material than budgeted for. (may be due to rubbish quality etc)

Direct Labour Variance- this shows the difference between the standard cost of actual labour hours used and the actual cost of actual labour hours used for actual production. This can be analysed into the two variances below.

Direct Labour Rate Variance - amount of the cost difference due to the pice of labour hour. Favourable = rate per hour was lower than budgeted (cheaper unskilled workforce) Adverse= rate per hour was higher than budgeted (super skilled workforce/ sub-contractors or overtime payments)

Direct Labour Efficiency Variance -amount of the cost difference due to the amount of
    labour hours used. Favourable = used less labour hours than budgeted for.
    Adverse= used more labour hours than budgeted for.

Fixed Overhead Expenditure Variance

This variance shows whether actual spending on fixed overheads was more than budgeted if adverse or less than budgeted if favourable. Reasons for variance could include poor budgeting or that actual costs are different due to unforseen price changes. Because these overheads are "fixed" it cannot be due to different output.

Fixed Overhead Volume Variance-, this shows the difference between the overheads that would be absorbed by the planned volume of output and the amoun absorbed by the actual output. The breakdown of this variance into Efficiency and capacity explains why there had been higher or lower output than he budget forecast.

Fixed Overhead Efficiency Variance - this variance shows how the efficient use of resources effects the volume of output. Favourable = output has been created using less resources than had been expected.

Fixed Overhead Capacity Variance- this variance shows how the amount of esources used compared with the budget affecs the volume of output. Favourable = more resources have been used therefore spreading the fixed overhead costs more widely

Hope this explains variances!!! :thumbup:
  • Khurram Taj
    Khurram Taj Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thnaks very much for your detail email.
  • lou123
    lou123 Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you 111Beckstar111 that is brilliant and a great help.

Lou 123:thumbup1:
  • Moseley_21
    Moseley_21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yes nice work. i have printed this off for my ever expanding revision folder
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    wow spot on there !!!! thats great help !!
  • cs_1988
    Options
    Thanks for those answers. Much help.

Just a note on the Capacity and Efficiency, This answer was in June 07 to describe them,

"The Fixed overhead volume variance can be split into capacity and efficiency variance. The capacity variance calculates the gain or loss due to the availability of direct labour. If direct labour hours are greater than budgeted there is a gain on capacity, which is favourable. The efficiency variance calculates the efficiency of the labour. If more hours are worked but less output is achieved this is adverse"

I found it quite an odd answer, but according to the chief assessors report it's right. Anyone able to verify that?? :thumbup:
  • cs_1988
    Options
    Task 1.1 e sorry!
  • gingervicki
    gingervicki Registered Posts: 87 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    great help thanks heaps:thumbup::thumbup:
  • 111beckstar111
    111beckstar111 Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    No probs everyone! :001_smile: