What to do....

rachy1975
rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
i just need a bit of help and advise on the path i am going to take...
I am going to start Technician in September after completing Foundation and Intermediate this year.
I do not work in accounts and am currently struggling to find employment as i have no experience.
Is Technician really difficult to study if you are not in employment?
I dont mind a challenge but am a bit worried that none of it will make sense if im not applying it and it is only one day a week.
I will prob find a voluntary position once i find paid employment so hopefully this will help.
Also what can you do after Technician??
i want to do financial accounts.
I have looked at CIMA and you have to attend university for 4 years to achieve this??
im not sure if this is correct so would appreciate other peoples views and what you have all done so i can see what different options are available...
Ultimately i would like to be a chartered accountant....

:thumbup:

Comments

• LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    You can do intermediate without a job in accounts. I work in credit control, almost never use my training and I didn't find intermediate too difficult.
  • Adam 1969
    Adam 1969 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    From memory the Technician level can be tricky if you are not working in an accounts function...but don't be disheartened.
    Your intention of looking for a voluntary position is good. This will look excellent on a CV and there are plenty of charities who need treasurers.
    As for progressing I chose CIMA as not only does it lead to charterewd status but it also was possible for me to study at a college one evening a week.
    It did take 3 years to complete the managerial level this way, but it was affordable! The number of colleges offering this is small and I did have to travel 50 miles to get there!
    Be warned the cost does escalate when you get to the strategic level, and I needed to attend a BPP centre, so I made sure I was working for an employer that would support me in this!
    The exams are also harder, suddnely you find that 3 hours is not enough!
    I would recommend this route...it is hard and takes a long time...but the sooner you start the sooner you qualify!
    Good Luck!
  • rachy1975
    thanks for your replies...i dont mind it taking time but am a bit worried about the cost. Hopefully i will find employment soon and start saving for it as i nearly have my technician fee saved for!!
    are there grants etc available for CIMA??
    I had an interview for a cash office job the other day (but not to sure how it went as again i have no experience!!) so fingers crossed, its not exactly accounts but its finance and a start and experience!!!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I didn't (and still don't) work in an accounting role and the only thing with which I did have a few issues was the Unit 10 project. I was, though, able to cook up something using my own business and the AAT do provide a written case study that you can use for it if you're unemployed or not working in an appropriate area.

As for the rest of it, I'm not sure that those on my course who were working in accounts found things any easier than I did for the most part.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    think it would help if you was in accounts office. but i never was in a office till about 3 months afte i start my technician course....

the thing with the job situation is ....jobs are very hard to come bye in this world today and all you have to do is try to apply for anything and everything and hope that someone will take a chance with you and give you experiance which will help you in the long run......

but good luck with your search(unless your in merseyside,as im looking too)
  • rachy1975
    thanks....it is very competitive out there at the moment isnt it??
    i had an interview to go back to my old job of lecturing at a college so will start that part time in sept...its a job and money as i dont want to be out of employment that long after finishing my course. Like i said i will take anything paid and then try to find some voluntary work...maybe in the finance office in the college if im lucky!!!
    Looking forward to starting technician in sept...and to think i started these accountancy courses as a hobby!!!
    lol

:ohmy:
  • mark130273
    a HOBBY ????????

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • rachy1975
    a HOBBY ????????

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yep....i started it when i was a full time lecturer and got it under staff develpment as my leisure course for the year....my friends say im the only person they know who sits at home doin maths as a hobby!!!
    lol
    i just really enjoy it and find it challenging...
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I was more or less the same. I started the AAT course partly as just something to do but with half an eye to gaining some marketable skills in case my business went tits up. Not sure I'd do the same thing now as the course fees round here have gone up substantially in the past couple of years.

I'm never happy unless I'm learning something new and the more complicated and/or geeky the better.
  • mark130273
    yes but to try and do it for the sake of soing it is different than it helping you in the marketplace ??

but at least we are all in here to learn.....wether the outcome at the end is different ?
Privacy Policy