Wedding Nerves

Options
Paul24
Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Those of you who 'know' me will probably know Im getting married at the end of July.

Just when I thought I had the nerves under control, I was reminded I have to make a speech!!

Any tips?! I dont really know what Im supposed to say, or who Im supposed to toast! :huh:
ยซ1

Comments

• LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Just get really, really, really hammered beforehand.....those kinda speeches are always the best

Where's my invite by the way??? :confused1:
  • Paul24
    Options
    Nice idea mate - its in the post of course :-)
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Also good tip, get speeches out the way before the meal, that way you can enjoy the meal without stressing about the speech.

Groom speech is the easy one - just remember to say ' my wife and I' at the start.
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hah, yeah - follow Matt's advice on THIS one and you'll either be straight out of the reception room into the divorce room or a cult hero on youtube :-)

Obviously address everyone and thank them for coming to share this beautiful day with your wife and yourself.

Maybe tell them the first time you saw / met one another, who made the first move, where you went on your first date and how you felt after that first night out together.

Progress onto something you have done since, as a couple, that has made you both smile when you have spoke about it previously.

Now state the term you have been together and say a few challenges you have overcome and how much stronger you are now that you know you have the most beautiful and caring woman by your side.

Say something about how you picture the future between you, some kids maybe.

Finish by turning to your new gorgeous Wife and telling her that you love her more today than you did yesterday and you always will.

:-)

aah, I can't wait til I get married - I never will though if I keep spending my cash on random things!

You'll be fine Paul - you're an intelligent man - you'll come up with something real nice. Good Luck though !
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    You're also supposed to thank the brides parents for letting you have her, and thank the bridesmaids for helping your new wife on your special day
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    It's a hard/tough and exciting time planning wedding and studying.
  • Paul24
    Options
    Thanks guys! Some helpful stuff in there
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Also just some general tips that I find make it flow much better have now done Groom speach and the dreaded best man speach!

Make notes instead of writing a speach and just let the sentances come naturally.

Speak as though you are speaking to someone at the back of the room to make sure you are heard.

Ensure you have a drink to hand so if you lose your way you can have a drink while you think, just do it slowly no one will notice.

Have a chat with your fiance about who is receiving presents i.e. bridesmaids page boys, mother of the bride etc this can then take up a good amount of your speach and help you to relax.

Don't forget to get your wife-to-be something for the day and don't forget to thank her for being so beautiful.

Hope this all helps

Best of luck with everything and I wish you both a long and happy marriage.
    Regards,

Burg
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Don't forget to say how nice she looks, my brother nearly forgot that in his speech which was very embarrassing:laugh:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    And make sure you get her name right.
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    CJC wrote: ยป
    And make sure you get her name right.

:lol:Sound advice CJC, theres nothing worse than going to a wedding where the groom raves on about how attractive the bride is and keeps using the wrong name or worse still the chief bridesmaid name.:lol::lol:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I'll be in Nottingham around the end of July/beginning of August for my sister's BBQ in Sandiacre, so where's my invite then Paul?
  • Paul24
    Options
    Scary, where about in Sandiacre? I must live close!!

Not getting married round here though :-)
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    well good luck for then....think my invites gone missing in the post??

always always go the pub before hand....just for one mind you !!!!

but the problem with those speeches they came too late in my wedding as i couldnt talk i was so drunk.....

lol
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    Thanks guys! Some helpful stuff in there

No probs mate, all my most helpful advice seems to have someone getting hammered....

Homer-AlcoholPoster(6).jpg
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Scary, where about in Sandiacre? I must live close!!

Not getting married round here though :-)

We've already had this conversation Paulie but I must remember you are a brummy afterall and understand your memory holes...

My sister lives on Chatsworth Close or something. Do I remember you living somewhere up the hill past the chip shop and school/leisure centre? If you're not in, can you please leave the keys to your house otherwise it'll be a tent in the back garden for me and the little ones?
  • Paul24
    Options
    I thought she may have moved, as you said sandiacre, you said stapleford before which is in fact where chatsworth close is. Never mind, the brummie memory wins again :-) (not that I am in fact a brummie)
  • blobbyh
    Options
    you said stapleford before which is in fact where chatsworth close is. Never mind, the brummie memory wins again :-)

Nope, it's definitely in Sandiacre, just off junction 25 of the M1! I nearly went to live in Stapleford with an ex a few years ago - grim place!
    (not that I am in fact a brummie)

You really must get over this constant denial of your heritage Paul and reconcile yourself to your birthplace! Yammer...

By the way whereabouts in Brum were you from? I lived in Hall Green for a couple of years - do you know that area?
  • Paul24
    Options
    Heard of it, I was born and raised 25 miles north of Brum
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Okay, so maybe you're not a direct Brummie but I was still right on the LIFO thing...! :cool2:
  • Paul24
    Options
    Never, you dont know anything about stock!!
  • mark130273
    Options
    LIFO FIFO AND WGAFO ???

lol
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    ok after next week no one is allowed to even think about FIFO LIFO or AVCO :mad2:

Ive had it now am losing the will to study - i cant believe i just did a paper and got over 75% wrong i quit
  • mark130273
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    ok after next week no one is allowed to even think about FIFO LIFO or AVCO :mad2:

Ive had it now am losing the will to study - i cant believe i just did a paper and got over 75% wrong i quit

ahhh but you got 25% right ..................

and if the marking system uses NIFO then you will be ok ??

hahahahaha:001_tt2::001_tt2:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    ahhh but you got 25% right ..................

and if the marking system uses NIFO then you will be ok ??

hahahahaha:001_tt2::001_tt2:

HAHAHA Smartie pants :lol:
  • mark130273
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    HAHAHA Smartie pants :lol:

me?????????

nah was only taking the mick...dont think it right that thou !!!

not long for the exams hey !!!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    me?????????

nah was only taking the mick...dont think it right that thou !!!

not long for the exams hey !!!!

Nope monday afternoon for me
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Monday morning for me and I feel like death with a cold today.

Lots of lemsip and echinechea over weekend for me
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Heard of it, I was born and raised 25 miles north of Brum

I was 40 miles north, does that make me worse than a Brummie? :confused1:

Paul where are you getting married? I need to plan my big entrance... :001_tt2:
Privacy Policy